Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ask Me Anything - I'm Angel Flippin' Collinson!

Quote Originally Posted by Coño Frío View Post
    Have you ever experienced a cold coño while riding the chair lift?
    I like to use a butt pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    If you could hang out with any of us for a day, who would it be?
    You, obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    As a dad w a couple little girls who rip (Samantha 6, Elizabeth 4) we are very worried about the future of skiing and climate.

We live in the Wasatch and are incredibly worried about the air quality.

How would you go about decreasing emissions in the SLC valley?

Is there a rational excuse for allowing the refineries in the valley to expand (Mexico city moved the refineries for gods sake!)

Would you favor government paying to upgrade to gas heat?

Please a shout out to the girls as well, they love watching you ski!
    Hoofta going right for the big ones! Ha. I'm not a politician or a scientist, and so I may not have the best answers for everyone. I don't know exactly how I would go about decreasing emissions- we have all heard many different ways to do it, but ultimately we have to start moving towards a place where our energy usage doesn't produce them in the first place, because we aren't going to stop consuming. Working towards renewables, and voicing our support for addressing the issue is the place to start.

I think as the demand for energy increases, we obviously have to meet that rising demand. Allowing refineries to expand might not be totally irrational, but we should be using the best technology we have to regulate their emissions.

I don't know about upgrading to gas heat. Ultimately we need to move away from fossil fuels, and I think government money should be spent on finding a way to make that transition happen gracefully.

Shout out to Samantha and Elizabeth!! Girls rule!!! Go get 'em tigers. Set your sights high and show everyone what you got in the tank!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Does anyone else here have the uneasy feeling that Dunfee's wearing a blonde wig sitting in the Wilson HQ logged in as Angel Collinson right now?
    If he's wearing a blonde wig it better be my mullet wig.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Collinson View Post
    You, obviously!
    come to BBI16 and hang out with all of us. Perhaps you could catch a ride with baby bear, resident token female of TGR.

So you did get back the stolen beater Subaru? Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Angel,
    can you reccomend a heating source for the back of my truck camper shell. i'm married with children so it probably shouldn't be a cute girl,
    any other ideas?
    Then it should be your wife!
    I am thinking about buying a camper, and I don't know the answer yet. I know some people that have a sweet heater that runs off of their propane tank..

Angel -- Saw Paradise on Wednesday night--amazing final sequence. Brought your North Face mini-poster back for my 12-year old daughter/ripper and showed her the trailer of your Alaska runs. She's a big fan now. I think skiing is a great sport for girls, both my daughters were dusting guys at a young age, it pretty much equal footing for boy/girls at that age. Be well! PS-- How do you like my dog (see above), she's a snow hound.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Why does it matter to people that you are a female spancered skier, as opposed to a spancered skier?
    People like the ponytail. Probably why Ligare's selfies blow up too.
    But, it's a good question. One I think about a lot. I think of skiers as one big group. I think the more you separate "female skiing" from just "skiing", it creates a division that doesn't necessarily have to be there.

On a serious note, so many top ski mountaineers are no longer with us, with increasing numbers dying young over the past few years - does that ever figure into your risk assessment, especially as a spancered "extreme" skier whose livelihood is somewhat predicated on going big?

edit to add: Corollary question - some data out there that women are better than men at risk assessment in the backcountry, do you think that applies to you, and what are your thoughts on the matter?

If he's wearing a blonde wig it better be my mullet wig.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/-NtASYCE...angelcollinson

You're going to have to work that into this year's segment.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Have you heard of RAS ski? You will ski much better if you do like going fast.
    What does RAS stand for: Really Acrobatic Stance? Probably not I guess. Haven't heard of 'em, but I like to go fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Fail.

As for my question, also curious as to your thoughts for the long term game.
    Long term game: I answered in one of the answers up above somewhere. About using skiing expeditions to help science, hopefully.

Do you do any water sports? You should hang out with Ashleigh Stebbeings for a weekend...another female badass. Bring the film crews.

I think as the demand for energy increases, we obviously have to meet that rising demand. Allowing refineries to expand might not be totally irrational, but we should be using the best technology we have to regulate their emissions.
    I don't know you, but I was expecting a half baked, anti industrial reply. I'm very impressed by this pragmatic and responsible view. Maybe more impressed than with your skiing

y u no answer bullfighting q?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Favorite non-skiing athletic activity? Non-athletic activity?

Favorite place to ski (heli-access not allowed)? Favorite place to ski in the backcountry?

What skis, bindings, boots do you use? Both alpine and touring.

Any thoughts about your post-TGR poster-hero-status days?

Protect Our Winters question: a lot of pros take a lot of plane trips (the big kicker) and helicopters. As you know, plane trips are the biggest individual contribution to GHG emissions - far worse than driving a car or running a snowmobile. Supposedly, one transatlantic (Chamonix? Japan?) round trip flight generates as much GHGs as a year of driving a car. http://www.theguardian.com/environme...lanes-shipping What commitments do POW athletes make to minimizing associated GHG emissions or, worst case, offsetting those emissions? I recall Brody Leven talking about going to DC to do POW events, and the next day hopping on a plane for a weekend trip to Mexico to climb/ski Pico - the irony of advocating for climate change action and then promptly burning through a years worth of GHGs was too much. While I am busting a bit on Brody, I am curious: What do you recommend for reducing ski-travel emissions, and what commitments do POW athletes make?

EDIT: to say, thanks for coming to TGR, and being an inspiration for my twin three year old daughters. We have watched your PW edit over breakfast a few times.
    Hm. I like to rock climb, kayak, and mountain bike, but I'm not very good at any of them yet. And non athletic activity, probably slingshot practice. I like music a lot too.
    I love the Wasatch, but Revelstoke is really fun too. Backcountry... shoot, I dunno. Jackson has some pretty epic backcountry.
    Black Diamond Boundary 115, Lange RS 130, Marker Jester with the Cast binding system- for both touring and normal.
    I hope to be real washed up once the glory days are over.
    That's a great question, about travel, and indeed one we struggle a lot on. We live quite a consumptive life, and are hyperaware of it. Purchasing Carbon offsets for travel is not very expensive and an easy way to go. We are not perfect, and all of us live in a fossil fuel based society, where every consumption usually involves fossil fuels in some ways. JP Auclair has a really great quote in the movie All I Can, where he says: “If you try to be less and do less, its not progression, you are not really moving forward, you are basically just slowing down. Its not about doing less, its about doing more. Being more creative, about being more active” And I like that a lot. The big changes are going to come when we combine our intelligence and brainpower and find new solutions that can handle societies ever-increasing growth. Whether that means being more politically active, or speaking up more about what you care about, it's not all black and white, and I am always open to suggestions of lifestyle choice tips or thoughts of things that work for you or others.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If the Earth were cooling instead of warming, would you be equally motivated to join a movement called 'Save Our Summers.' Or are you just focused on saving winters?
    I swing both ways!
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Hi Angel thanks for coming on here and hanging out! Your skiing is incredible. My daughter is 5 and she rips up the mountain better and with more style than most boys and seems to have the same natural love for skiing that seduced me 40 years ago. I've no intention of burdening her with the sad truth about our changing climate until she is much older for fear that she will turn away and tune out like so many others. At what age did you first become interested in climate change and why?

At what age did you stop dancing to ski film music and actually start watching the skiers?

What female skiers were inspirational for you growing up?
    Thanks! I just heard a great quote: "This is the golden age of skiing. We have the best equipment, the best modes of transportation, and still plenty of snow. This is as good as it gets and we should take advantage of it!" I like this approach. We don't have to avoid facing the way our future is going to change, but embrace and enjoy how it is now, and try and do what we can to make our future the best one possible! We don't have to be afraid of it. Change is inevitable with everything.
    I've been interested in seeing what we can do to help this planet out since I can remember.
    I think when I was around 14?
    Wendy Fisher, Picabo Street, Ingrid Backstrom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Do you ski Lange plug race boots every day of the season, no matter what?

What's been the most effective message/story/etc. you've ever told a climate change skeptic?

When/if if you have kids, would you want to raise them in the Snowbird lodge as I understand you were?

Do you ever hop on a snowboard? Snowblades? Mono ski?
    Yeah I ski the Lange RS, it's not a plug boot though. If it's a lot of touring I use a BD boot.
    I don't know if I have a specific story. I'm not trying to change people's opinions about where we differ, that's not a likely thing to happen. I like to find where we agree. Most people agree that poisoning certain things like air and water is no bueno. So I think that's a good place to start- the places where we agree.
    If I have kids, I will raise them in a box and feed them chocolate chips. Maybe a box in a house up at Alta. But growing up in Snowbird was pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    y u no answer bullfighting q?
    She's just not that into you, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Paduraro View Post
    What was your biggest rotation?

Do you like getting up early on the morning and train?

Working out outdoors or indoors? With music or in silence?

How u keep your teeth healthy and eating lots of sweets ?

Any ideas on future alternatives to travel long distances with virtually no co2 emissions?

Congrats for the edit and wish you a superb season!
    biggest rotation was 3798000000
    early morning is my favorite time of day!
    outdoors, both silence and music.
    i have prescription toothpaste. really
    self-propulsion via refried beans?
    Quote Originally Posted by narc View Post
    Would you date the GSA? How should I train for Alaska?
    ski a lot and practice making good choices in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    what's your favorite vice?
    sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Have you penned any skiing articles, or other work that's been published besides your college entry exam?

Also, do you want to ski with me in Japan?
    Hmm. I can barely remember yesterday. I don't think so. Something is coming out in the Ski Journal that I wrote, I dunno what issue....?
    I will ski if you buy sushi.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    You look like a lot of fun, are you?
    I sure hope so!
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Who is prettier, you or your brother? Does he borrow your jewelry?
    Why are you asking me who is prettier? I'm the worst one to ask. He actually makes me jewelry! Haha. He's the best.
    Have you ever fought a bull?
    - if not, would you fight a bull if given the opportunity?
    -- if you have not and would not fight a bull, why not?
    I fight a bull as my daily routine.

Would you agree that employing tags in a forum environment is an essential tool to organize post data to improve the user interface for the forum subscribers?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

What impact has dealing with us TGR forum dwellers had on your general faith in humanity?

I fight a bull as my daily routine.
    Awesomeness. Or, as we should be posting (for cross-platform social media wharrgarbl):

#angelcollinson #bullfighting #awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Hi Angel.
    My wife Cinders thought your segment in this years movie was, excellent! You must feel pretty proud!

Ok, back before you were a "pro athlete" did you mostly free-ski with other girls, or was it an all dude crew you tended to hang with. Mixed up?

So, I guess you grew up in an "all-skiing-all-the-time" Family?

Lastly, do you have any problems with calling Downhill Skiers "Athletes"?
    'Cos I do.
    I think it's all down to the Lifts.
    Thanks!! It was mixed, but I mostly skied with guys, just because most of my friends were guys.
    All-skiing-all-the-time family! Unless it was homework time. My parents were big on getting good grades and being responsible.
    I think skiing is an athletic sport no matter what! But going uphill makes it even tougher.
    Angel - which of the following could you beat in a bike race?

1) creaky fossil
    2) stuckathuntermtn
    3) Ryan Dunfee
    None of them. I woud get a flat immediately, it's my main biking talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnR View Post
    How does co2 from a power plant in eastern Utah end up trapped in a Salt Lake valley inversion?
    Sometimes we get a 'wraparound' where we get weather and wind coming in from the east. But if you're referring to the op-ed article about the Hunter and Huntington plants, it was mostly referring to haze-forming emissions affecting our Ntl Parks in Utah.... But there are lots of factors affecting the SLC air quality. I don't have all the answers but I know we should all work on them together.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Please join our merry band of maggots for some fun times in the PNW, lil place called Alpental. We could use some spice to mix up our sausage fest, plus it is a kick ass ski hill.
    16BBI
    are you dangling a carrot with the sausage fest comment? Not sure if that makes me want to go or not want to go.... I've heard good things about it tho! Or you guys can come shred LCC!

Why do you think telemarking lost its soul?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague