Police Civil Asset Forfeitures Exceed The Value Of All Burglaries In 2014

Between 1989 and 2010, U.S. attorneys seized an estimated $12.6 billion in asset forfeiture cases. The growth rate during that time averaged +19.4% annually. By 2014, that number had ballooned to roughly $4.5 billion for the year. Now, according to the FBI, the total amount of goods stolen by criminals in 2014 burglary offenses suffered an estimated $3.9 billion in property losses. This means that the police are now taking more assets than the criminals.

plagiarized from zerohedge
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

From some of the horror stories I've heard about it is also really difficult to get property returned - even when the people are ultimately NOT Charged with any crime

I think I read they call it operation Black Asphalt
    skid luxury

Saw this admonition:
    Do not steal
    The government does not like competition

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

there are more crimes that stealing stuff, drugs lords get their stuff taken, there is a logic fail here
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Government is the enemy of a free people

John Oliver did a thing on this recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

Makes it seem like there are a lot of cases where the police just take your shit for no good reason.

Although the right answers are "no, you can not search my car," and "I'd prefer not to answer any questions."
    Last edited by jamal; 11-17-2015 at 02:34 PM.

If you can't win a debate or hire a good lawyer, you're prey under current rules for CAF. It's disgusting how corrupt it is. Snoop was right

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    there are more crimes that stealing stuff, drugs lords get their stuff taken, there is a logic fail here
    english fail

comma fail
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    Government is the enemy of a free people
    So are corporations. So, basically, people are fucked. At least with our form of government it is supposed come with some degree of representation. Therefore, reign in the corporations and get the government back. win-win. Go enjoy your government over-reach-around.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Somebody should start a thread about police behaving badly.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    english fail

comma fail
    So you didn't understand. Ok I'll make it simple for you. The crimes for which property to forfeited are many. Only a small % would be burglaries. So using the stat that compares the value of burglaries to all forfeited property is stupid. Maybe too much is being seized but that comparison is stupid.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Police Civil Asset Forfeitures Exceed The Value Of All Burglaries In 2014

What we're talking about here is seizing of properties for finding an el roacho in someone's car or somebody's kid or grandkid selling drugs from the house and them getting their home/ life seized

Yes some is legit/ a lot is bullshit
    skid luxury

So you didn't understand. Ok I'll make it simple for you. The crimes for which property to forfeited are many. Only a small % would be burglaries. So using the stat that compares the value of burglaries to all forfeited property is stupid. Maybe too much is being seized but that comparison is stupid.
    The problem is that shit is snatched with zero hint of a crime taking place, much less a crime, much a crime that results in a conviction. The whole point is to shine light on the scope of the forfeitures to make the less awesome see what is painfully obvious to many: it is moronic to incentivize authoritative figures to cheat or wrongfully victimize civilians. It contradicts their entire purpose as an institution on this planet.

The hyperbole is justified by the high levels of stupidity in place within the system.

Bootlicker talk!
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    The problem is that shit is snatched with zero hint of a crime taking place, much less a crime, much a crime that results in a conviction. The whole point is to shine light on the scope of the forfeitures to make the less awesome see what is painfully obvious to many: it is moronic to incentivize authoritative figures to cheat or wrongfully victimize civilians. It contradicts their entire purpose as an institution on this planet.

The hyperbole is justified by the high levels of stupidity in place within the system.
    Ok see point but it would be interesting to see a breakdown of seizures by crime and compare that to the total revenue of the crime. Certainly there has been a huge uncontrolled increase and there is almost no due process.