Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

SNOW IN THE PNW 2015-16: Winter Strikes Back

I've got the rack already. I just can't fit kids and skis in the car at the same time. The cheapest box I found on Craigslist was $100 which is around what I'm looking to pay but in Bremerton and ain't nobody got time for that.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

New years day didn't quite go as planned on account of certain vital pieces of equipment being left on the side of the road in Vancouver, but cold north-facing pow on ptarmigan ridge despite an inversion wasn't a bad consolation.

Same photos that have been posted a thousand times, but I never get sick of them:

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I've got the rack already. I just can't fit kids and skis in the car at the same time. The cheapest box I found on Craigslist was $100 which is around what I'm looking to pay but in Bremerton and ain't nobody got time for that.
    I might be able to lend you a roof box. Not quite sure and I'm gonna be busy the next few days, but I can let you know

Beautiful day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451779482.467191.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	359.8 KB 
ID:	174363
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451779500.282147.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	442.0 KB 
ID:	174364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451779528.033410.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	174365

New Rampart Chair was fun today

Well it warmed up to a toasty 13 at 12:30.

The northern resort did not disappoint today. Skinned to Artist Point in a t-shirt, cracked brewskis on top of Table then rode cold, consolidated pow down Mini AK. Headed up to the Saddle and snagged an untouched line between some trees at the end of a mellow traverse. Hit the highway as Shuksan basked in her pink alpenglow, nomming on slow-cooked pork for dinner now.

I've been looking at google earth to try and find some places to tour/lines to ski and it seems like all of WA only gets satellite photos taken in July and August. This is super frustrating.

Probably because it's cloudy all year except July & Aug. Get a book, search the 'Net, use your eyes

Use your eyes? That doesn't work here. Everywhere you go it seems trees block any useful view of the mountains. Even driving through the passes it just looks like trees with the occasional mountain. Throws me off something fierce. I need to find a couple touring partners that have been skiing here a while.

Martin volkens book is quite the asset. As is turns all year. Go follow some tracks and figure it out.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

I know what Jed is talking about, but it really helped the last few days of clear high pressure before today, as we scoped a ton of lines. Also: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...OoveJszw&hl=en
    Definitely learned a lot about the easy stuff near Lot 4:
    Last edited by plugboots; 01-03-2016 at 05:54 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Use your eyes? That doesn't work here. Everywhere you go it seems trees block any useful view of the mountains. Even driving through the passes it just looks like trees with the occasional mountain. Throws me off something fierce. I need to find a couple touring partners that have been skiing here a while.
    I look at topo maps and then use summer google earth stuff/peoples photos to guess good areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    Martin volkens book is quite the asset. As is turns all year. Go follow some tracks and figure it out.
    Or possibly end out sending a 60' to rock in the Wasatch backcountry and breaking your ass. That could happen too.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I know what Jed is talking about, but it really helped the last few days of clear high pressure before today, as we scoped a ton of lines. Also: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...OoveJszw&hl=en
    That looks good. Wanna ski?

I just ordered Volken's book off amazon.

Things have been good. I haven't worked for weeks, skied some pow with no crowds, and even rode up the padded seats a few times. Finished off the holiday season with a tour up to Pineapple Pass yesterday. Fuck was it cold. If my hands weren't too frozen I would have even pulled out the camera.

Maybe I saw you. I was there today too. I thought the weather was perfect.

(Hint for Jed.)
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Maybe I saw you. I was there today too. I thought the weather was perfect.

(Hint for Jed.)
    My wife would tell you how good I am at picking up on hints (not good). I fell for the don't get me a Christmas present trap 2 years in a row.

Commonwealth>over Kendall>Kendall Lakes>Hyak SnoPark traverse today. Fun tour and some turns notwithstanding lots of tree bombs.

Nice - Ping me next time you are in the zone...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Commonwealth>over Kendall>Kendall Lakes>Hyak SnoPark traverse today. Fun tour and some turns notwithstanding lots of tree bombs.
    So, a lap into the North side?

If you thought your Monday was off to a rough start...

Well you could be back a few towers and few feet higher up

The line is the glade to the ridgetop.

Mid run.

The view from the top.

I skied waist deep powder today on the ridge above my driveway. It was sweet.

The year has been very kind to North Central Washington. This morning I had a foot of new snow in my yard. The forecast was 3"... pretty sweet.

I actually have been skiing all weekend around the foothills of the Wenatchee Valley. It's about as good as it gets right now. The windy hill is doing really good too.

Nutty good boot top pow at Ski Acres and Silver Fir this morning