Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Playful Charger

Playful Charger

Bump

i think I want a playful charger 100-110 medium/larger turn radius. Thinking wc108, m-free 108, and what else? Have some prodeal access, but typically buy lightly used. Still figuring budget.

I love my bibby’s. 184, mounted tele. I like that they can hold an edge in 2d snow, pivot-ish if need, fun rebound/pop, bust through crud/mank, vary my turn shape, slow or fast speeds, etc. I’m looking for something narrower but similar on days when I’m in more 2d than 3D snow.

Many mid-winter work days I’m usually in a mix of 2d and 3D snow. And there are days free skiing, like now, where there is soft snow all over the hill, some 2d and some 3D.

My next ski down in size from the bibby’s are full camber mantras.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Bump

i think I want a playful charger 100-110 medium/larger turn radius. Thinking wc108, m-free 108, and what else? Have some prodeal access, but typically buy lightly used. Still figuring budget.

I love my bibby’s. 184, mounted tele. I like that they can hold an edge in 2d snow, pivot-ish if need, fun rebound/pop, bust through crud/mank, vary my turn shape, slow or fast speeds, etc. I’m looking for something narrower but similar on days when I’m in more 2d than 3D snow.

Many mid-winter work days I’m usually in a mix of 2d and 3D snow. And there are days free skiing, like now, where there is soft snow all over the hill, some 2d and some 3D.

Mfree 108. It will absolutely charge yet has a playful side as well. I was charging 12” of medium density cut up pow this last friday. They are so good at it. Those who say they can’t have technique issues as there are a handful of us dudes here who have them and rip, we have no issues doing so on them. Slash, rage, pop, carve your way back to the lift with a big smile on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Too funny I almost bumped this thread last week but decided not to.

I have 182 M-Free 108s and have been finding them under gunned in certain snow conditions. I feel like this wasn't as pronounced when they were new but maybe we just had better snow last year. My quest so far has led me to Woodsman 110's or Wildcat 108s. On Paper the new Rossignol 110 Sender Free seems promising as well. If I could find some older Black Crows Atris those would maybe fit the bill as well.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    If I could find some older Black Crows Atris those would maybe fit the bill as well.
    https://www.powder7.com/Black-Crows-...-2022/for-sale

You're welcome.

Bump

I too loved my bibby's. One of my favorite skis of all time.

So I got some wc108's. They were... fine. I just never really fell in love with them. They weren't as easy to smear around as the bibby's, but they also weren't as stable when speeds picked up, and they weren't as good at crushing through chop. They weren't terrible at any of those things, but they felt like a somewhat mediocre entry in a very crowded field of 108-ish skis.

I don't know what the better answer to the question is though. I'm still searching for it myself.

I think the ON3P Jeff 110 in a stiff layup needs to be added to the list. Open ‘em up on chopped up run outs or through chop and they remain very composed with little deflection. very easy to slash and pivot when it’s tight/technical. As for playfulness, all I do are 3’s and flips when it’s soft and they provide plenty of pop when setting.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Too funny I almost bumped this thread last week but decided not to.

I have 182 M-Free 108s and have been finding them under gunned in certain snow conditions. I feel like this wasn't as pronounced when they were new but maybe we just had better snow last year. My quest so far has led me to Woodsman 110's or Wildcat 108s. On Paper the new Rossignol 110 Sender Free seems promising as well. If I could find some older Black Crows Atris those would maybe fit the bill as well.
    Have you tried the 192 M-Free 108s? They can be driven quite a bit harder than the 182s (I only briefly skied the 182s but felt like I could fold the tips when driving the front of the ski - the 192s let you ski forward to your heart’s content).

Are you wanting something more or less playful than the bibby? I've skied the jeff108 and mfree108 (and deathwish, but tour version) in this category. I haven't skied the bibby/wildcat but I would guess its inbetween the jeffery108 and mfree in terms of playfulness/charginess. If you want more playful, I think the jeffery is a good option, if you want a little more chargey go mfree. Honestly the mfree is probably pretty darn close to what you're looking for but it just hasn't quite clicked for me as it has for so many folks on here, I'm looking for a little more on the playful side. Note, the 182 and 192 mfree are notably different, with the 182 being less ski.

The wildcat108 doesn't seem to be as highly reviewed as the big wildcat/bibby but still a great ski

Praxis MVP

Yeah big plug for Praxis MVP 108. One of the most versatile and enjoyable skis I’ve ever been on. I ski them pretty much every day I’m out and never feel like there’s a set of conditions they aren’t happy in. Perfect balance of the characteristics we all look for in the playful charger category

For comparison I’m a massive Bibby fan and I skied the PB&J for a while in search of a Bibby for non pow days. Really liked those but the MVP is a big step up in all the right ways

People love the mfree 108 too I imagine it’s pretty similar but I also think there are just a lot more of them out there. If you have the chance to try the MVP 108 I strongly recommend giving it a shot
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

2-3 days after a storm in Wasangeles, I'm on my ZX108. Perfect ski for those conditions
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Praxis MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Yeah big plug for Praxis MVP 108. One of the most versatile and enjoyable skis I’ve ever been on. I ski them pretty much every day I’m out and never feel like there’s a set of conditions they aren’t happy in. Perfect balance of the characteristics we all look for in the playful charger category

For comparison I’m a massive Bibby fan and I skied the PB&J for a while in search of a Bibby for non pow days. Really liked those but the MVP is a big step up in all the right ways

People love the mfree 108 too I imagine it’s pretty similar but I also think there are just a lot more of them out there. If you have the chance to try the MVP 108 I strongly recommend giving it a shot
    You guys talked me into it. Fuck it. Just ordered some 188's. For anyone else interested, they're on sale (better than the praxis website) at the Cast website.

Per my other thread re: stiff fully rockered skis, I'm still curious about an MVP with CCR, but I figure I should at least try the stock version first. And realistically, I'm guessing my full rocker itch is gonna get scratched by Marshal's (hopefully) upcoming Sickle inspired creation.

Playful Charger

FKNA. Stoked to hear your thoughts on them.

I’m also still curious about a CCR MVP. At 5’7’’~175lb I’d go with 187s, heavy hitter core without carbon, ideally veneer top sheets. I’d be curious to hear Keith’s input on keeping stock 4 flex vs bumping it up to 4+/5.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 01-31-2023 at 02:30 PM.

Bump

JSkis Hotshot

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You guys talked me into it. Fuck it. Just ordered some 188's. For anyone else interested, they're on sale (better than the praxis website) at the Cast website.

Per my other thread re: stiff fully rockered skis, I'm still curious about an MVP with CCR, but I figure I should at least try the stock version first. And realistically, I'm guessing my full rocker itch is gonna get scratched by Marshal's (hopefully) upcoming Sickle inspired creation.
    Hell yeah enjoy! I bought mine kind of on a whim having never skied a pair of Praxis before and couldn't be happier so I hope they also treat you well
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Playful Charger

Y’all tried the atomic vantage 107? I thought the 18.4 radius would be way more turny than it is, it feels more like a 21-23m to me.

But compared to the Mfree 108 they charge way harder, yet slash pop and pivot just as easy. Plus they’re lighter too.

I tried my coworkers Mfree on a pow day where the groomers ended up as icy mogul chop fest. Perfect testing conditions that let me know I’ll never own a pair of those till they stiffen the tips dramatically.

Only thing I’m struggling with on the vantage is the mount point. I feel like I need to move the mount back, but I really only feel that way on a groomer.

I just found a set of candide 3.0 I wanna ski on, I think they might replace the vantage. But to be honest, the vantage is as good of a ski as I’ve ever been on in the 105-110 category, I just wish they didn’t have the boat hull tip thing.

I had Nordica enforcer free 110s I really liked, but they were heavy as fuck. I had bmx 105 HPs I really liked but they were boring and still kinda tinny and noisy on hard snow.

I miss the old carbon missile tip Fischer Ranger 108s. I think those were amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post

I tried my coworkers Mfree on a pow day where the groomers ended up as icy mogul chop fest. Perfect testing conditions that let me know I’ll never own a pair of those till they stiffen the tips dramatically.

You were on the 182 I'm guessing?

Man I'm really enjoying the 192 for this genre. Great DD imo.

I did not think the Vantage 107 pivoted easily, I felt like it was kind of demanding compared to easier skis like the MFree

Quote Originally Posted by SacTo View Post
    JSkis Hotshot
    Another vote also....

If I didn’t pick up a pair of 192 MFree 108’s from PTex1 already, I was intrigued by the new Ranger 108. Worth a look
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleswede View Post
    If I didn’t pick up a pair of 192 MFree 108’s from PTex1 already, I was intrigued by the new Ranger 108. Worth a look
    The more I ski the ranger 107 and try to replace it with other skis the more impressed I am with that ski. It’s hot shit. Dunno why they stopped making them.
    focus.

I think the biggest issue with the playful charger category is where you prefer your mount point.
    Over the years my mounts have been moving forward and what I didn't notice right away was that I liked those skis in some but not all situations. (190 Bibbys, 187 Meridians, 187 Woodsmans). These are playful skis that can charge.

I've really been liking and more at home on my 186 Enforcer 104's, 189 M-free 118s and the 192 108s that I demo'd. These all feel more natural to me and how I like to pressure a ski. These are skis that can charge and still play.

So, if it were me, I wouldn't compare Wildcats / Bibbys / more progressive mounts along with M-frees / more traditional mounts. They're all great skis, but some are going to speak to you and some aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    The more I ski the ranger 107 and try to replace it with other skis the more impressed I am with that ski. It’s hot shit. Dunno why they stopped making them.
    Truth… I love my 107ti

I can’t speak for very many skis but I can say my Chipotle Bananas make me want to be all boingidy, boingidy, spinny, spin, spin, noodley, nood and then go as fast as I fucking can in suspect conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I’m pretty sure they moved away from the carbon tips cuz they were so stiff at the tips they would delaminate instead of flex in certain scenarios. They really were amazing.

The new ranger 108 is amazing too though.