TBT: When they ruined the ski/snowboard forum

Once upon a time, not too long ago, the ski/snowboard forum displayed the quintessential TGR forum threads; words and pictures describing an experience someone wanted to share with others. A few years ago these Trip Reports were removed and became buried in a subforum, so that we can more easily answer questions about whether Vail has good soup or if alpine trekkers look good with red pants.

Bring back Trip Reports to the main forum, let's get some damn eyeballs on the good stuff.

Hashtag, TBT

But now there's a thread for every ski area filled with desk jockeys speculating on how the early season facets are going to shut down the backcountry for the entire season, and advising on which tourist spots are more touristy than others, and assorted other drivel mixed in with the occasional shot of stoke.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

thanks for your concern

when TRs happen, this is where they occur
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

tbt: that time before 'new posts' brought up all the active discussions, including TR's.

imho the difference isn't that it takes one entire additional click to get to the [dedicated] TR subforum, it's that people have drifted away from writing them, often just putting a link to their blog. The issues with the image uploader [sorta fixed???] sure didn't help things either...

so yeah, bring back the TR's! Regardless of what forum they're in, even bullfighting. Hell, especially bullfighting, that would be a kickass TR [unless it was from the bull's POV]...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Yeah do a away with the TR sub-forum. We can also just post TRs in the main forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Yeah do a away with the TR sub-forum. We can also just post TRs in the main forum.
    That would be fuckin awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The TR subforum got created because TRs were getting buried in bullshit.

For whatever reason, there are less TRs now than there used to be. That happened well before TRs were a subforum; the subforum was created as a response to that. You can debate the cause to death, but that is a fact. At least with a subforum you can skip the shit and go straight to TRs...

I don't give a shit where TRs are located, I'd just be stoked if there were more of them.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    #stashcaptainfailboat
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Iskibcwashere

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Iskibcwashere
    #2drops
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

At least with a subforum you can skip the shit and go straight to TRs...

I don't give a shit where TRs are located, I'd just be stoked if there were more of them.
    Yeah, at least with the subforum you can find the TRs before they slide off the front page here. It wasn't the move to a subforum that started the trend of fewer TRs.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

i think if you look at views of tr's post fixin shit that wasn't broke
    they are way less
    i only use new posts
    and that most people who have/had the ability to post tr's
    went to the here's a link to my rad blog follow me on social media vrs. just stokin out the community

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

For whatever reason, there are less TRs now than there used to be. That happened well before TRs were a subforum; the subforum was created as a response to that. You can debate the cause to death, but that is a fact. At least with a subforum you can skip the shit and go straight to TRs...

I used to put together TRs of trips, but stopped doing so, not sure why. Maybe because it felt like they ended up all being the same unless you're a truly HCMF doing crazy things with great photog skills. And there are all the dickheads who say you're just posting TRs for ego stroking; kinda sucks to read that shit when you went through the effort to share some stoke. And then there's the regional conditions threads that become repositories for what used to be TRs. Add it all up, and you get less of them.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I like the TR subforum.
    Makes it easier to find TRs. They don't get lost in the drivel of the main forum.
    most regional forums are just a few people talking shit to each other nowadays it seems. Less and less stoke in those, but they used to be great sources of information.
    i think less stoke gets posted on tgr because a lot of people have become put off w some in this "community" but those people that used to post TRs still post stoke just on other forums or their own blogs. so be it. bottomline is there are too many trolls/desk jockeys/attention seekers here that really put off people so they don't bother with this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I used to put together TRs of trips, but stopped doing so, not sure why. Maybe because it felt like they ended up all being the same unless you're a truly HCMF doing crazy things with great photog skills. And there are all the dickheads who say you're just posting TRs for ego stroking; kinda sucks to read that shit when you went through the effort to share some stoke. And then there's the regional conditions threads that become repositories for what used to be TRs. Add it all up, and you get less of them.
    ^^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Thirded, sadly. With a few skiing and moto TRs in the hopper, I never posted.