1st Avalanche Accident of 2015/16

1st Avalanche Accident of 2015/16 Was Today | Two People Caught in 300′ Slide, 1 Injured in MT

http://snowbrains.com/1st-avalanche-...ide-1-injured/

“Around 6:50am on Thursday November 5th, two hunters were walking up and over the saddle North of Sacajawea peak. They were on the shoulder of the peak to the North (often referred to as Hardscrabble) when they triggered an avalanche that broke 20 feet above them and was 40-50 feet wide. They were carried 300 feet over a series of rocks and cliffs. One Hunter was injured and went to the ER. He was released and cleared of critical injuries. We will update our website with new information in the next few days. ” – Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center today

Sketchy stuff. Skied that area Tuesday, tried to ski it again this morning but got the truck stuck on the way up (were apparently digging it out when the slide happened). When we did get the truck out and made it up, we quickly realized there was no way we were skiing those conditions and headed home, read this when we got back. Not stoked, the number of kids skiing that area right now is insane.

No bueno. Glad they were relatively ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Sketchy stuff. Skied that area Tuesday, tried to ski it again this morning but got the truck stuck on the way up (were apparently digging it out when the slide happened). When we did get the truck out and made it up, we quickly realized there was no way we were skiing those conditions and headed home, read this when we got back. Not stoked, the number of kids skiing that area right now is insane.

ummm, it was hunters, not kids.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

http://www.mtavalanche.com/accident/15/11/06

@ Das Cunt.

The dynamics around here are that as was said above, a lot of folks in the area (including "kids") ski that path early season. Hence the expressed concern shown above.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    ummm, it was hunters, not kids.
    Yeah, sorry, should have been more clear. The slide involved hunters, however there is a lot of ski activity in that area, seems like just about everyone that goes to MSU and has a pair of skis was up there last week, proper avy gear be dammed. Thus the "Fairy Lake Mountain Resort" moniker the area has earned.

Also, Bunion, I'm assuming that line is the slide path? Friends skied that Monday and when I was out Tuesday there were probably two groups of 5 skiing that same line, so yeah, a lot of activity...

I've heard rumors of the monster bucks up there but hard to believe there is big game hanging around in snow deep enough to to slide.

so far three slides nation wide and counting
    watch out for snakes