Thread: boards for kids

boards for kids

So my kiddos are starting to itch for surfing. They are 8 and 9. Not sissies. I am wondering what I should do for a board for them.

Is it at all realistic to get a shorty longboard, say a 7'6" or so, that I could use when the surf is small, and they could use too? Dont mean to be too selfish here, but all I have is a 6'0", and something for the smaller days would be great for getting wet more often.

I am thinking an epoxy board for durability. I hate the soft-tops, they weren't around back in the day and we all learned just fine.

And is there some sort of a 'kids pass it down' thing going on with wetsuits? Seems like I am in for a pretty solid collection of kids full suits. Sharing is caring.

We're moving to Ventura next month. So stoked to be near surf again. The anybody get some thread has kept me sane for the past few years, so cheers-

Look at the 7' y-surf log. Yeah, it's foam. It's also what I am buying as "MY" board that I will share with the shithead. You see, back in the day, sutures weren't $4,000.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

I have two foamies for my 4 year old. A Wavestorm 8' and a Sushi 5'8". Neither are performance boards in any manner. The Wavestorm is totally warrantied. If you are able to snap it in half, bring it back to CostCo and grab a new one off the rack. Not sure about the Sushi. Both are pretty indestructible, and cheap ($89, $65). We bring them to the beach, toss them in the car, throw them on the reef, sit, walk, lunch on them.

OTOH, a 7'6" egg can be great to learn on and fun for an adult. Only issue is that you will likely want it 22" wide, and unless your kiddos are very broad, that could make it hard for them to paddle. A "mini" longboard would be a bit sleeker than an egg. ANother option is a fish or small standard short board. Kids don't need as much float to begin with, and they don't suck at learning like adults. I learned on a short board when I was 13. I finally was looking for a long board or high volume board when I was 16, as I was in Maine, and wanted to be able to surf as often as possible. I would consider finding a 6' ish board, about 19.5" wide, and thick. And a Wavestorm, so they can surf even when it is small and shitty. As far as that board goes, I have a friend who only rides a Wavestrom when it is less than head high. I've seen him paddle into some nice heavy thick waves up to about ten feet on that shitty piece of foam. So, it can be ridden.

Where do you live? O'neil has a kids return policy, where you return the suit after your kid out grows it. They discount your next size up suit based on the condition of the return. I'm told it is fairly reasonable. This from people with more money than me. I watch Craigslist. I've bought a size 4, 6 and 8 so far, and have spent a total of $65. When I see one in good condition, and for cheap, I grab it.

Are you in SoCal? Good luck, and have fun with it.

Why don't you get somthing like a 6'2'' with a mast track? Windsurf is always a good possibility when the waves are not on/surf is small?

Re:

My kid got interested with surfing last summer too. He's 13 so I guess an egg will do for the both of us. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tagning View Post
    My kid got interested with surfing last summer too. He's 13 so I guess an egg will do for the both of us. Thanks!
    Nice!

I think it's a good idea. If your kid is a good athlete, I would just make sure that the board has a little bit of rocker and a 3-fin setup in the back. The ability to drop in a little more aggressively and turn a little bit harder will keep a board fun for longer
    https://GearLobo.com
    "Good things come to those who bait"
    My greatest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I imagine they exist, but every egg I’ve ridden has had a thruster. I imagine they’d feel real sluggish with a single.

On the wetsuit note. Costco has been selling cheap wetsuits the past two years. No idea on fit or quality, but I think kids suits we around $60. They show up closer to summer, but the new season of foamies are out.

Consider also getting them handplanes and good fins, if they don't have them yet. The swimming into small waves translates well over to standup surfing.