Arrow 4FRNT Kye 110 vs Liberty Origin

I'm looking for a new daily driver/ touring ski to replace my Line Influence 105s. The Influence 105's that I have are the 10/11 model that was stiff and really damp. They rail groomers and are great in crud/pow. The only downside is that they have a couple sheets of titanal so they are pretty heavy and not great for touring. They are by far my favorite skis that I've ever owned and I wish they were still in production.

I'm looking for something similar (a little camber and tip rocker), but without metal.

Kyle 110 specs- 188 cm, 131-114-126, 2450 g, 26 meter radius
    Liberty Origin specs- 190 cm, 145-116-136 2230 g, 24 meter radius

I've never skied on bamboo core skis (not sure what to expect), but I'm intrigued by the weight savings on the Liberty origins.

I'm also intrigued by the smaller tail rocker on the Kye 110s. I generally prefer less tail rocker for better hard snow performance.

Both of these have a bigger radius than the influence 105s, which have a 19m radius.

Has anyone skied both? Any ideas as to which will perform better on hard snow and also which is easier in tight spots?

Thanks for any info!
    Last edited by Kevo; 11-04-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Line supernatural 108

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    Line supernatural 108
    Just what I was going to say, I asked JLev about the Supernatural and his response was that they are the old Influence.

Ive read some pretty stellar reviews in the liberty origin though too. Its supposedly a very versatile ski. But its too wide all around for a ski as a daily driver, in my opinion, unless you live in certain deeper places

And im also intrigued by the kye 110. But i would rather if the 188 was actually 110 underfoot, thats the magic number.

Supernatural would be my choice, except that I've got really good deals lined up on Liberty/ 4FRNT.

Get the 4frnt then

And write us a review.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Over a year later and I finally bought a new pair of 187 Liberty Origin 106s mounted with Kingpins. They are really similar dimensions to my Influence 105s, but more playful and maneuverable due to the bamboo core, bigger tip rocker and tail rocker. They are a bit less damp in crud, but the maneuverability more than makes up for it and they are quite stable for as much pop as they have.

I may get around to writing a full review later, but for now I really love the Origin 106s. Where have you been all my life, bamboo core?

any more feedback on these Kevo?

The Kye is basically a 2mm wider hoji that has camber underfoot. I skied them most everyday last season and they are a pretty burly ski that will hold its own at any speed in any amount of chunder. Basically think of a non-rockered hoji (I have both and put base to base the shape is identical, just slightly wider), that feels more "locked-in," makes longer turns, and likes to go faster. This ski rewards strong skiing but will take you for a ride if you're not getting after it. That being said, once you get the hang of it, it can be skied on any day - it floats just fine when the snow is deep, but still rails hardpack as fast as your heart desires. I wouldn't call it a "touring ski" because it's pretty heavy, but that just makes it blast through crud better.

Can't weigh in on Liberty.

Maybe I got a dud pair but I can't ski my kye 110. They are so soft in the tip and tail and fold up in soft snow. They definitely don't hook into a turn in firm snow which can be desirable but they definitely unexpectedly hook in soft snow and fold up tossing the unsuspecting victim

Skied a pair of liberty origin 106 briefly yesterday. Lots of potential. It'd be nice to play with the mount and center them up a touch.

Ive had the Origins and this year I switched to the KYE 110's, I like the Kye so much better than the origin, I honestly felt the Kye handled everything better, and was much more playful. Personally I thing the origins are slow and luggish compared to the Kye. However I did find the Origin more manuverable than the Kye, but thats probably because of the 25 m radius on the Kye. Hope you make the right choice and go for the kye!

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    Ive read some pretty stellar reviews in the liberty origin though too. Its supposedly a very versatile ski. But its too wide all around for a ski as a daily driver, in my opinion, unless you live in certain deeper places

And im also intrigued by the kye 110. But i would rather if the 188 was actually 110 underfoot, thats the magic number.
    I think you'd be fine on the 181, the Kye has a low tail and it felt like it skiied extra long to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WPski View Post
    Ive had the Origins and this year I switched to the KYE 110's, I like the Kye so much better than the origin, I honestly felt the Kye handled everything better, and was much more playful. Personally I thing the origins are slow and luggish compared to the Kye. However I did find the Origin more manuverable than the Kye, but thats probably because of the 25 m radius on the Kye. Hope you make the right choice and go for the kye!
    So you don't have any of the folding up sensation that Phallic mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    So you don't have any of the folding up sensation that Phallic mentioned?
    I'm not sure where phallic skis, Well I live in Colorado so snow density may be different, but it didn't feel like it folded up to me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have the Origin 190 as my touring ski with frame bindings. they are not a charging ski. I am used to being able to go mach chicken into crud, or dive and drive my skis in deep powder. the origins dont like doing that... mounted at reccomended. Every time i tried to drive the ski (which you have to do because recommended is pretty far back), it felt like the tip would fold up back towards you and i would feel like i was going over the bars because of the sudden speed loss.

I am going to move the mount up 2cm this year to make it so i dont have to drive the ski so much, and can ski it more playfully. Because they are light, poppy, floaty, and all good things for a fun BC ski... but the recommended mounting point doesnt complement those characteristics IMO.

My normal skis are 190 Sir Francis Bacons and 191 Orignal stiff as fuck Billy Goats. Both heavy, both on the stiffer side, both very damp.

Personally, I am most interested in the origin 96, hoping for playful but not "foldable" when charging in crud etc, as described by Caligrown...

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter65 View Post
    any more feedback on these Kevo?
    On the spectrum of charger vs playful, the Origin is more on the playful side than any ski I've had in my adult life except for a pair of CRJs. That said, the Origins are way more versatile and much better in crud and at speed than the CRJs.

The Origins want to pop, want to turn, and it is a lot of fun to easily drive them into any turn shape you want to steer them into. They float well and do pretty darn good on groomers at speed.

They don't to go straight or make large radius GS turns in chopped up snow, but that's totally OK for what they are. They are really maneuverable and have a great rebound and all in all are really fun to ski. In chopped up mank you'll need to drive the tips and make smaller radius turns to keep them from deflecting and bouncing around, especially if you are on the heaver side like me (I'm 188 lbs).

If you want to go 80 miles per hour down a huge Alaskan face, this probably isn't enough ski to do it. If you want to go 60 miles per hour through chopped up snow on a ski with plush, damp Cadillac-like ride, this isn't the ski for you. If you want a ski that has to go full speed to turn, or alternatively want a ski that will slarve reverse camber sideways turns, this isn't the ski for you either.

If you want a ski that begs you to pop off of every small feature on the mountain, happily rebounds its way through trees and powder and can still hold an edge going pretty fast on groomers, the Origin 106 is the most fun ski I've found.

I've come to know the way the Origins want to be skied, and it's really enjoyable. When I drive them and bend them into tighter turns than their natural turn radius, the bamboo core delivers a rythm and a cadence of joyful poppyness that carries me down the mountain with a big grin on my face. It's like they have a song they want to sing if you let them.

I like them a lot

Edit to add- I'm not sure what Californiagrown means by "fame binding". Do you mean something like a fritschi freeride? If so, I'd imagine that the climbing bar would really mess up the natural flex patten of the ski. If you feel like you are going over the handle bars, I think moving forward might make that problem worse.

I have mine mounted with Kingpins and they are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post

Edit to add- I'm not sure what Californiagrown means by "fame binding". Do you mean something like a fritschi freeride? If so, I'd imagine that the climbing bar would really mess up the natural flex patten of the ski. If you feel like you are going over the handle bars, I think moving forward might make that problem worse.

I have mine mounted with Kingpins and they are awesome.
    Frame as in Adrenalin16s (Dukes, gaurdians, etc). The adrenalines actually allow for underfoot flex which is partly why i chose them for use on a softish BC ski.

I felt as though there was a ton of tip in front of me because of the rearward mounting point, and because of this the ski needed a very forward stance (it didnt respond well to a nuetral, pivoty stance). My issue was that when the tips would hit 3-dimensional snow, whether is was chop, or powder, it felt like the tips folded up and created a plow effect that put the brakes on.

I am hoping that when i move the mounting point up a bit, i can use a more neutral stance where i wont be over the front driving the skis as much, and take advantage of the very poppy playful nature of them. After all, i will be mostly using these in the the BC where i have no intention of going super fast- id rather play around, popping off little hits, and slashing and making the most of my hard earned vert

For what its worth, i am 6'4" 210lbs and am talking about the big Origins (not the 106s).

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Frame as in Adrenalin16s (Dukes, gaurdians, etc). The adrenalines actually allow for underfoot flex which is partly why i chose them for use on a softish BC ski.

I felt as though there was a ton of tip in front of me because of the rearward mounting point, and because of this the ski needed a very forward stance (it didnt respond well to a nuetral, pivoty stance). My issue was that when the tips would hit 3-dimensional snow, whether is was chop, or powder, it felt like the tips folded up and created a plow effect that put the brakes on.

I am hoping that when i move the mounting point up a bit, i can use a more neutral stance where i wont be over the front driving the skis as much, and take advantage of the very poppy playful nature of them. After all, i will be mostly using these in the the BC where i have no intention of going super fast- id rather play around, popping off little hits, and slashing and making the most of my hard earned vert

For what its worth, i am 6'4" 210lbs and am talking about the big Origins (not the 106s).
    Gotcha. I'm taking the 106s

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Gotcha. I'm taking the 106s

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app
    Dang hoping you'd take the kye

WP - which Origin were you on? 106? what length?

THX

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter65 View Post
    WP - which Origin were you on? 106? what length?

THX
    106, 182 cm and pivot 14 bindings