Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    ^glad to hear they survived. Man, oh man did they get lucky.

Anyone know anything about the guy taking a ride down double dogleg? Bet he had to change his shorts.

woot!!!!!

Roosevelt Collier bringing the steel guitar magic to the Moose on March 19, right after Chris Robinson Brotherhood and Zach Brown Band! This is going to go.off.
    [not to mention it's my birthday weekend, see ya there!! ]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    woot!!!!!

Roosevelt Collier bringing the steel guitar magic to the Moose on March 19, right after Chris Robinson Brotherhood and Zach Brown Band! This is going to go.off.
    [not to mention it's my birthday weekend, see ya there!! ]
    That's gonna be fantastic!

Always good to get back to the Tetons

Turkey Chute GTNP

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Always good to get back to the Tetons

Turkey Chute GTNP

ooh that looks purty

So I got called out on Facebook for calling the three snowboarders that went over the cliff in Why Not lemmings. Turns out that, after they looked down Why Not and decided against it, first one of them took off downslope and disappeared, the next one waited a bit, then went, then the third one did the exact same thing. They all sailed over the same cliff, hit on the rocks, and landed below. One of the patrol said it was amazing that they didn't land on one another. Sounds like lemmings to me.

In the bigger picture, I know that it's FS land out there, so no labeling of cliff areas, and the gates have copious signs. The mystique and the marketing of the out of bounds area, the lure of the untracked, is huge. Is there any way to realistically have people align their terrain choices with REAL conditions and their knowledge? I am starting to think not, which is cynical but honest. It takes experience to get there, which is often achieved the hard way, by having close calls that scare you straight, or by stories from others, but you gotta pay attention. The big red flag is when the voice inside you says, "oh it will be fine."

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    So I got called out on Facebook for calling the three snowboarders that went over the cliff in Why Not lemmings. Turns out that, after they looked down Why Not and decided against it, first one of them took off downslope and disappeared, the next one waited a bit, then went, then the third one did the exact same thing. They all sailed over the same cliff, hit on the rocks, and landed below. One of the patrol said it was amazing that they didn't land on one another. Sounds like lemmings to me.
    If that is true, which it certainly appears to be based on the fact that all three did fall, then yes, lemmings. How the hell can you drop into a roll over and not know what it looks like from below? And even if you were tempted to be that foolish, wouldn't you wait for the first person to clear the line and be visible at the base? And why didn't they stop and 'try' to hike back out? Did they just charge into the unknown line unable to stop in time? This whole incident makes no sense to me whatsoever. Kooks

Have a couple of spots at the Hellroaring Hut near West March 2nd/3rd if anyone is interested.

doughboyshredder Guest
    It takes a special kind of stupid to go for the line you can't see rather than the line you can. Especially when the line you can see looks rather tame.

And I apologize if I didn't get it right. Maybe they just got lost and lost their edges:

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jackso...ef89b2862.html

Salsa, what you said is spot on. We were just talking about that whilst up in your 'hood a couple weeks ago. For many reasons, the gate situation at the Village is just asking for accidents. It's no one's fault, collectively the Teton ski community has to own the fact that these types of incidents will continue to happened. Dealing with the collateral damage is part of the trade off for having the Village sidecountry being what it is. It is getting very French up there.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

In the bigger picture, I know that it's FS land out there, so no labeling of cliff areas, and the gates have copious signs. The mystique and the marketing of the out of bounds area, the lure of the untracked, is huge. Is there any way to realistically have people align their terrain choices with REAL conditions and their knowledge? I am starting to think not, which is cynical but honest. It takes experience to get there, which is often achieved the hard way, by having close calls that scare you straight, or by stories from others, but you gotta pay attention. The big red flag is when the voice inside you says, "oh it will be fine."

Carry on.
    Anyone who called you out on facebook for saying that is a dumb ass. I used the exact word "lemmings" in discussion about it the other day and would gladly do so again. And defend my choice of words.

I also called them lemmings so I think we must just all be like-thinkers

It isn't politically correct to call idiot humans lemmings. The lemmings get very offended.

And not to start a rant, but I have zero problem with it becoming very "french" around here. There is a certain degree of personal responsibility that that necessitates and frankly think the US could do with more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    If that is true, which it certainly appears to be based on the fact that all three did fall, then yes, lemmings. How the hell can you drop into a roll over and not know what it looks like from below? And even if you were tempted to be that foolish, wouldn't you wait for the first person to clear the line and be visible at the base? And why didn't they stop and 'try' to hike back out? Did they just charge into the unknown line unable to stop in time? This whole incident makes no sense to me whatsoever. Kooks
    Snowboards and snowboarders can get in an impossible situation. Hiking back out may not be possible on a steep icy slope. Soft boots compound the problem.

Cody Bowl: Large charges (25 lbs) deployed from a helicopter. Shallow loose snow releases around a couple of those charges
    From the avy center 2/2, this common?

Edit: Just realized the powder 8 comp is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    From the avy center 2/2, this common?

Edit: Just realized the powder 8 comp is going on.
    I was wondering how they managed to keep that slope fresh for the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Salsa, what you said is spot on. We were just talking about that whilst up in your 'hood a couple weeks ago. For many reasons, the gate situation at the Village is just asking for accidents. It's no one's fault, collectively the Teton ski community has to own the fact that these types of incidents will continue to happened. Dealing with the collateral damage is part of the trade off for having the Village sidecountry being what it is. It is getting very French up there.
    Bumping the boundary line out on the bowl hasnt helped a damn bit. I miss the far drift and damn if wasnt a buffer zone. So sorry to hear about the recent accidents, that cannot continue.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBlade View Post
    Snowboards and snowboarders can get in an impossible situation. Hiking back out may not be possible on a steep icy slope. Soft boots compound the problem.
    Yes, we all know that it would be difficult on firm terrain, hence the quotes on 'try'. And if it was firm, it's just another wtf were they thinking dropping in. So, lets pretend it was soft and transitioned to firm. So, stop there and again 'try' to get to the soft and climb out? Still most likely near impossible, but pretty sure I'd make the effort and maybe they did. I would not have taken my board off, that is one thing for sure, so it is plausible that they did make an effort to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    I was wondering how they managed to keep that slope fresh for the competition.
    Even when OB was closed permanently and only open in the spring, there were closures in the OB. Meaning, Rock Springs would open, but anything beyond that was closed. They would keep an eye on that and try to bust people. Seems like they'd be able to keep people off Cody with some signage.

Well. Took a lap through Corbet's today and definitely did not stomp it. Thought a ski ran down on me and never did find it.

I'm going back in the morning to try to find it, but if anyone happens to find a 183 black crows Corvus sitting in the couly, I'll buy you lots of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Bumping the boundary line out on the bowl hasnt helped a damn bit. I miss the far drift and damn if wasnt a buffer zone. So sorry to hear about the recent accidents, that cannot continue.
    Yeah, the recent accidents suck, but they would all have been prevented had the people involved stopped, read the signs, thought for a second and turned around because they realized they had no idea where they were going. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    Well. Took a lap through Corbet's today and definitely did not stomp it. Thought a ski ran down on me and never did find it.

I'm going back in the morning to try to find it, but if anyone happens to find a 183 black crows Corvus sitting in the couly, I'll buy you lots of beer.
    Leave your info with ski patrol or guest services and when it is found in the spring they will mail it back to you. Probably wont even charge you for shipping.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

"The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Leave your info with ski patrol or guest services and when it is found in the spring they will mail it back to you. Probably wont even charge you for shipping.
    Yep. Dropped that info off. If anyone saw the idiot boot packing up corbet's, that was me! No luck on the recovery mission. So I guess it will be nice and rusty when I get it back.