Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    we had a snow tire shortage up here in 2018 becuz the province of Quebec made snow tires mandatory which then caused a shortage everywhere in the country
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    We got the Suby w nearly new x-ice on and they were terrible snow tires. That’s what prompted the hakka’s

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    They were probably several seasons old and still looked brand new

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the new 'xice snows' to replace the xice3's on the wife's prius, which went five seasons on a car that averages 23k per year. Every iteration if the xice has been an improvement. The xice3 had much improved cornering grip over the xice 2 and I expect the xisnow is an improvement over the 3. And they last 4 years minimum. 5th year they give up in deep snow.

I disagree they are terrible snow tires but to each situation a different tire is probably best subscribed. For midwest living the xice is hard to beat with the 40k warranty, winters that vary considerably, 1k drives to the mountains that are very often completely dry.

We do have the Xice2 Latitude SUV version for the 4R and I will grant that those are underwhelming compared to the xice3's on our cars but still way better than not having snows and they were the only thing available in the 265/70/17 size I wanted.

The 'snow' replaces both the Xice3 and Latitude Xice2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...ice-snow-tire/

edit: pulled trigger on 3rd set for Prius. No Michelin rebate but at least we have them before the supply runs out. $60 back for using the DTD card.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 10-12-2021 at 01:59 PM.

I found the older X ice was great on ice and slick roads, but not great in deep snow (compared to blizzaks which I feel have the opposite balance).

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    we had a snow tire shortage up here in 2018 becuz the province of Quebec made snow tires mandatory which then caused a shortage everywhere in the country
    Which we noticed here in Vermont. Not as many Quebecoise stuck in the snow.

If you need snow tires this year, buy them this week if you can. Or risk having slim pickings in your size and preferred brand when the snow does fly.

Domestic mfg. didn't hit the production numbers this year by a long shot. Nor did overseas suppliers. If you rock large diameter rims on your vehicle, choice and supply will be much more limited.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Costco already sold out of my size in most of there offerings for our outback.

I'm getting a set of X Ice Snows mounted up at Costco next week.

We will see if they keep me out of the ditch this winter.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I found the older X ice was great on ice and slick roads, but not great in deep snow (compared to blizzaks which I feel have the opposite balance).
    Yep. And the clincher for me (for my particular preferences/needs) is the dry performance is *much* better than the Blizzaks, from what I've found. And the X-Ice longevity...

Yep, in winter rotation with Michelin Defenders for summer use we are getting 100k miles out of the xice3 on the Prius which is a heavy use all weather commuter. Now at 205k won't need another set till 305k.

Not sure how that translates but definitely in the 30k plus range per set.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Yep, in winter rotation with Michelin Defenders for summer use we are getting 100k miles out of the xice3 on the Prius which is a heavy use all weather commuter. Now at 205k won't need another set till 305k.

Not sure how that translates but definitely in the 30k plus range per set.
    Wait a minute, you are getting 100k miles out of a set of snow tires? And they actually work in winter conditions?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I've had two AT tires with 3PMSF rating -- Wildpeak AT3W and Cooper Discoverer AT34S. Former I was impresssed by, latter not so much. Discoverer is now being retired to summer use only as I found of a very new pair of X-Ice snows for $250 and a set of rims for $100.

Hopefully X-ice is a step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Wait a minute, you are getting 100k miles out of a set of snow tires? And they actually work in winter conditions?
    No, 100k in rotation with summer all seasons. I'm not organized enough to give you actual snow tire mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I've had two AT tires with 3PMSF rating -- Wildpeak AT3W and Cooper Discoverer AT34S. Former I was impresssed by, latter not so much. Discoverer is now being retired to summer use only as I found of a very new pair of X-Ice snows for $250 and a set of rims for $100.

Hopefully X-ice is a step up.
    Did you not like the Discoverers at all or were they ok for the first winter?

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    They were OK, but the Falkens I felt were far superior. To be fair, i haven't A/B'd the true Falken comparison which is the Falken AT3W Trail.

Good to know. I have the AT34S predecessor, the AT3W, mounted on my 4Runner right now. They were great in snow the first season but became sketchier and sketchier the following two seasons.

Going to replace them ahead of this winter and am debating a number of options, including the Falkens.

I really like the Falken AT3W. I'm on a minivan platform which a tire that heavy isn't ideal for. I'd opt that direction with a 4Runner.

️snow tire recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    I had Cooper AT3 4S on my 2008 4Runner 4x4. They were really not great in snow. Did ok on plowed surfaces like going up the passes but on even 6 of uneven snow in a hilly SnoPark or backing into slushy bermed parking spots they slipped like mad. Would absolutely recommend for a highway/trails tire but not for snow.

Im in General Grabber ATX (snowflake rated) right now, will have about 10k on them before the snow comes in earnest. Interested in finding out how they do this winter.

Once these wear out I think Im gonna go Michelin LTX.

Yeah, to be fair. The Cooper AT3 4S has been dead reliable in all non-snow conditions which feels like it's biggest meh point. I put ~30k thus far on mine with a bunch of miles of FS driving and expect to get another 2 solid summers of use out of them. No flats, minimal balancing/rebalancing, even treadwear. Just not particularly impressive in snow compared to other ATs i've been on.

IME, a bunch of non-3PMSF ATs would pass the 3PMSF test, it's just their producers don't want to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Which we noticed here in Vermont. Not as many Quebecoise stuck in the snow.
    really, you noticed the effects of the law only ten years after it went into effect in 2008? ive noticed some Vermonters being pretty slow, but not you, sir!

ill be rolling on my hakkas again this year. #neverstuck
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    really, you noticed the effects of the law only ten years after it went into effect in 2008? ive noticed some Vermonters being pretty slow, but not you, sir!

ill be rolling on my hakkas again this year. #neverstuck
    It was a joke.

i know that. its always massachusetts drivers that are stuck in vt.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    ive noticed some Vermonters being pretty slow, but not you, sir!
    Vermont is the land of the slow moving Subaru.

I'm running the new Blizzak's this season after running the WS-80s for the last 7 or so seasons across two separate cars. They've always been cheaper than the X-Ices.

The WS-80s addressed a lot of standard Blizzak issues like tread wear and handling, the 90's are supposed to be an incremental improvement all around, though apparently road noise is an issue. We'll see.

I'm running the DM-V2 on my Highlander and also really like them. They're all older design but since it only sees 6000kms in the winter wear isn't really an issue

I only ran the OG X-Ices and really liked them, but here a more open tread pattern is preferred because it's usually just below freezing when it snows.

Michelin definitely upped the bad ass looking snow tire factor with the XIce Snow variant.

Pity these will be neutered rolling a Prius around.

Really can't beat Discount Tire. Ordered Wednesday, came a day early,, dropped off after work today and ready tonight.

While we waited we changed a completely exploded front strut mount on the old Subie and the brake pads that burned up because my stepson plugged his ears and kept her rolling. He did help fix it.

Picked up tires.

Beer thirty bitches.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Just ordered xices from Costco. Pretty cheap with the $150 off special they are running right now.

Nice! I got $60 back. Probably took a screwing but at least we have them.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk