Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

️snow tire recommendations

2015 Subaru Crosstrek
    Approx...500 miles a week
    Over Vail Pass, tunnel, etc...multiple times a week
    Regular snowy travel around Vail/Beaver Creek area when not traveling for work.

Had an Artic Claw quoted today for 132 per. I've run Blizzaks in the past and they were quoted at 174 (tad spendy currently).

Also want a really good all season for the wife's 2013 Outback. Mainly Eagle Cty driving with occasional trip to WY or the 303.

What should I do?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Last year I mounted up some Blizzak WS70s on my car. Great on snow and ice, quiet ride, noticeably softer sidewalls than my summer tires (17 vs 18" rim probably the main factor), but still handle well. They were spendy, but I'm a fan.

I've heard and I sort of agree that Blizzaks wear pretty fast? I also don't want anything that's going to kill my MPG.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Im getting some Blizzak WS80 tomorrow, paying $133 for an allroad 225/55/17.

Tried to Find Nokian Hakkapelita 7 or 8 but they can't be had in that size for some odd reason even though they're listed as a size they make.

For all-season I love the Nokian WR G2's I have. There are also WR G3's made which are not supposed to be as good from what I was told.

I just ordered some blizzak ws80 for my vw. $70 off a set at costco during november. getting a set of smaller rims, if they'll fit, is worth the savings in tire cost.

My very very favorite tires on my 09 Outback were the Yoko Geolander At/S. They were squirmy for the first thousand miles, but after that they went 50k with great all-season traction.

Micheline Xi3 for all those miles.

3rd Jeep with 3rd set of Blizzaks. Love them. Typically 3-4 seasons out of them. Put them on my wife's previous car as well. Just sold them after three seasons (new vehicle) and they looked brand new.

Blizzak for sure. I run the WS80 on my suzuki and the W965 on my jeep and truck. I don't know if I'd prefer them back east, but in CO, driving on snow covered dirt roads and I70 from October to June, I haven't found a better tire, despite trying several. They do wear more quickly, but it's still an easy decision for me. I can get two winters out of a set (~40k miles). On the plow truck, they last forever as they never touch pavement.

I just bought a fresh set of WS80's off amazon for $131/tire (205/60R16), free two day shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

The newer Blizzaks don't wear as fast and they are a lot less sloppy on the dry.

I bought a pair of WS80's and they exceeded my expectations in every category. Probably helps that they are H-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    I just ordered some blizzak ws80 for my vw. $70 off a set at costco during november. getting a set of smaller rims, if they'll fit, is worth the savings in tire cost.

My very very favorite tires on my 09 Outback were the Yoko Geolander At/S. They were squirmy for the first thousand miles, but after that they went 50k with great all-season traction.

Maybe deferent cause I had them on full sized pickup, but hated the Geolander tires for wet traction. Will agree they wore really well.

Goodyear Ultra Grip
    Michelin X ice

Spring for the Nokians. They make driving in snow really fun on a Suby. I picked some up from a local shop. 2nd season on them and they look like new, very little wear from 6 months driving the same stuff you are.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Maybe deferent cause I had them on full sized pickup, but hated the Geolander tires for wet traction. Will agree they wore really well.
    I didn't feel that way in the OB. I drove cross country many times in all weather. Something magic about those tires on that car.

Also there are many better AT tires for trucks that the context is totally different. I would never choose them for my F250.

Nokian happakalita

Made the subie a tank

A little squishy but good mileage
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I run General Altimax Arctics on my (16x whatever on steelies) on my WRX that I got for something like 90ish a tire plus 50 bucks a wheel on tire rack a few years ago. Cost less to buy 4 tires, 4 wheels, and pay to have them shipped to my house (mount and balance was free) than to buy just 4 17" tires from any of the local shops. Its been a good tire around here with minimal wear after 2 winters and probably 25000 miles. A little squishy compared to my summer Hankooks, but thats to be expected.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

907 vote for the Hakks. Studded.
    They rule up here.

Conti EWC on the XV and http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...i/tire-details on the OB. Your car will handle better on dry pavement than with the stock goo that comes on it and your wifes car will be unstoppable.

I think in Summit County you'd do great with Blizzaks. I've heard that the Michelin X-Ice wears a little better and has better bare pavement performance/longevity so that would make more sense here on the Front Range.

I've got a set of WS-80 Blizzaks for my CX-5. Probably would have preferred X-Ice instead, but I got the Blizzaks off a buddy for a great price. One season of light use, about 6k miles on them. Hoping for a good El Nino winter. Didn't ever mount up my snow tires last year.

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    I run General Altimax Arctics on my (16x whatever on steelies) on my WRX that I got for something like 90ish a tire plus 50 bucks a wheel on tire rack a few years ago. Cost less to buy 4 tires, 4 wheels, and pay to have them shipped to my house (mount and balance was free) than to buy just 4 17" tires from any of the local shops. Its been a good tire around here with minimal wear after 2 winters and probably 25000 miles. A little squishy compared to my summer Hankooks, but thats to be expected.
    +1. These are great wearing snows, and cheap to boot. I get 3/4 the performance of the Nokians in the snow for 1/2 the price. I always had trouble getting the Blizzaks to balance properly plus they wore fast, so I just gave up on them. I got 50K+ on my last set of Altimax and drove them year round.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I bought Altimax Arctics for this year, but haven't swapped them onto the car yet. Was planning on waiting until Thanksgiving weekend to do that.

Could've used them this morning though -- felt like driving on plastic tires with the amount of traction I had from half-worn-out Kumho Ecsta 4Xs on the car now (my current 3-season tire).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    +1. These are great wearing snows, and cheap to boot. I get 3/4 the performance of the Nokians in the snow for 1/2 the price. I always had trouble getting the Blizzaks to balance properly plus they wore fast, so I just gave up on them. I got 50K+ on my last set of Altimax and drove them year round.
    Another in agreement about the altimax tires. I also run them year around on an older subi legacy. No big difference to me than the blizzaks (the 50's) on the same vehicle.

I've also used nokian wr on the same vehicle and was not that impressed with the snow/ice performance, compared to blizzaks/generals, or the wear life, compared to an all season. They definitely had better wet/dry pavement performance compared to the blizzaks/generals.

I will switch to generals for my minivan when we wear out the blizzaks. We use yoko geolander at-s on the van in the summer. Nice traction on the steep dirt roads around me and i have no big complaints.

I'm going to try the newish cooper atw on a heavier suv this season. I will be using them year-round.

No idea about pure snow tires, but the Nokian WRG2 that Icemang talked about are on my car as well. Winter-biased (snowflake rated) all-seasons vs. all othe all season tires which are summer biased.

Funny, but I had to show my dealer that they weren't snow tires because they gave me so much shit when I came in. "Why are you driving on snow tires in DC?" "They're not "snow tires" and I mainly drive my car (80/20) in the winter months. It snows here every year.""

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Pretty sure I'm the wrong guy to ask.
    Now ^^THAT^^ is owning your own fail. Well done.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Crosstrek, wow montanaskier I knew you jumped the shark but holy fuckin shit!! Yes blizzaks.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    2015 Subaru Crosstrek
    Approx...500 miles a week
    Over Vail Pass, tunnel, etc...multiple times a week
    Regular snowy travel around Vail/Beaver Creek area when not traveling for work.

Had an Artic Claw quoted today for 132 per. I've run Blizzaks in the past and they were quoted at 174 (tad spendy currently).

Also want a really good all season for the wife's 2013 Outback. Mainly Eagle Cty driving with occasional trip to WY or the 303.

What should I do?
    A guy you and I both know (I think) drives a front wheel drive mini-van through all the areas you're talking about on Blizzaks...FWIW. As far as the all season tires for your wife's car is concerned...she is your wife. If you love her get Nokians. If you don't get Conti's...your choice.
    The Sheriff is near!