Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I scoped out snow tires for the GF this was on an old but low milage corolla where a set of Nokians were worth more than the car so i said well maybe you wana get these tires cuz they are cheaper and knowing me for the gear slut I am she said... "well what are you using ... I want best too"

Snow tires are safety items but for some reason we talk about money not safety

just that remember a trip to the ditch could really fuck you up
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

another vote for the altimax arctics

even though im using beaterkook ipikes
    holy fucking shitballs

Quote Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
    another vote for the Altimax Arctics
    +6
    On an 07 outback on a second set of steelies from the junkyard (about 40 per). The outback is a a snow machine with these and the dry handling, wear and quiet are all pretty impressive. Overall a great value. I also use the Altimax all season tire on this car off season and I think it's a very solid choice as well as a good value.

Had Blizzaks a while ago they were the best in the snow of any winter tire I've owned but wore fast and the soft sidewalls made them sloppy when driving in a spirited fashion. If they've addressed the softness I'm sure they are great.

Own a set of Michellin Alpin 3s that I run on a rwd 330i. These I don't recommend. They are great on ice and wet but they don't have shit for Cleat so when the snow piles up they aren't much better than an all season tire.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

firestone winterforces are a good deal and comparable to the altimax arctics in price and performance

For all seasons, I bought a set of Big O Euro Tours for my 2013 Outback. Very pleased with the performance and ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    firestone winterforces are a good deal and comparable to the altimax arctics in price and performance
    Yes, they are a great deal but NOT comparable in performance in my experience. For two winters I ran them side by side. Had the Generals on my Trailblazer and the Firestones on my Jeep GC. There was no comparison. While the Firestones did great in snow, their ice grip sucked (in comparison). The Firestones are still better than any all-season, though.

Another vote for the Generals from me. Best Performance:$ ratio I've seen. Remember, the Arctic Altimaxes are just a rebadged Gislaved Nordfrost, so you're actually getting a decent Swedish tire. HOWEVER, if money isn't an issue, then go Nokian of course. Been pretty happy with Blizzaks on my Volvo if you're looking for something priced more in the middle.

^good to know!

thanx, going with the altimaxes this year then. the ice grip was not great on the winterforces

Like the Nokians, the Altimax are studdable, if you need ice claws.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

This probably belongs in tech talk but winter tires are super important, more so for stopping and turning than going. Michelin primacy PA whatevers are absolutely terrible. Michelin X-Ice 2's are fantastic, and this is what I would recommend with all those miles over the Blizzaks as Blizzaks are known for having a very effective and small outer layer that wears out quickly unless you are always on snow/ice. Nothing stops studded Nokians, but availability can suck.

That said I have a set of 4 Michelin X-ices on Subaru Forester XT 5 double spoke rims for sale. No idea what shipping would be on them, but it's a tough sell here in TN and way worse in MS where I'm moving. The tires have no more than 4 months of light wintery weather driving on them. Any offers?
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1446562529.485892.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	171129
    I put them on for one week last year, too, during a freeze.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Firestone Winterforces are also the worst tire I have ever had the displeasure of trying to stop a car on. I slid through every stop sign for about a week after getting them mounted, and this was on dry roads. I think those tires are dangerous pieces of shit, personally.

I had Blizzaks on my Outback for the last two winter, and they're worn past their snow-usefulness after about 33,000 miles. I went with Nokian Hakk R2's for this year, which are the studless ones. We don't get a whole lot of icy road driving here in Utah relative to the amount of winter dry pavement driving we do, so studs don't make as much sense here at the do in, say, the Tetons. I didn't find them to be all that expensive, I just made the call to drink Coors instead of craft beer for a month or so and that pretty much saved me the difference between the Nokians and another set of Blizzaks.

blizzy ws80s

I'd think you'd want the dedicated winters being that you go across summit/clear creak etc so many trips a winter.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

In Seattle, during the winter of 2008-9, i had the "crappy" BigO studded snow tires, which were the Michelin X-Ice1or2 rebranded and studded on steel rims for a 2000 Outback. That said, i could crawl and rip through the back roads around Monroe all the way to Stevens without narry a slip. I was trucking around ditched cars all winter while picking up female friends stuck in their homes and doing airport runs when Seatac shut down. I was also the only person to show up to work during the epic days where Bellevue was iced out. Heck, a cop even pulled me over for helping dig out cars in the snow banks on I 405 because he thought it was unsafe to drive there. I pointed at the all wheel drive sticker and studded tires and he smiled and told me to carry on.

I could also get them to slip when needed and pull donuts and leave them with control on snow and ice (no VDC).

Now I am in the same boat as many with a long, crappy commute from the Bay to my place in South Lake Tahoe. 18" on the Outback and oversized brakes may necessitate some careful measuring of the clearance to put 17" whees on with some Altimax or Nokians if the season progresses as planned. Any one find a good tire on their 2015 Outback last season that handled dry and wet well with good ice performance?
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Michelin X-Ice Xi2; I like these on my 2002 Subaru WRX wagon.

Honestly, I just usually purchase what's rated well on TireRack. Yeah, Blizzaks are usually the best, but always really expensive.

I also have a pair of these that I'll put on for this winter: Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Another vote for the Altimaxes, very highly rated on Tirerack, and a more budget friendly option. I got a set for my sister and she loves them!

Another vote for the Mich X-Ice for the long wear. Kind of spendy but it wasn't hard to find a rebate deal on them to bring them inline with cheaper options.

i've run Hankook iPike w409 studded snows on my forester for several years and they're stable and super grippy, even in deep snow.

That said, i've got a set of iPikes, used w 8/32 remaining + black steel wheels (unmounted though) for sale here in Big Cottonwood. Make me an offer if you're looking.

Quote Originally Posted by V.R.P View Post
    Another vote for the Mich X-Ice for the long wear. Kind of spendy but it wasn't hard to find a rebate deal on them to bring them inline with cheaper options.
    i just bought a new forester w 17" wheels and the X-ice. stoked to see how they compare to the iPikes.

12 pair of X ice in My size in the country allegedly. Ones from General aren't available in my size. Doh!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    12 pair of X ice in My size in the country allegedly. Ones from General aren't available in my size. Doh!
    you could pay your costco membership with the savings on a set of blizzy
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    i've run Hankook iPike w409 studded snows on my forester for several years and they're stable and super grippy, even in deep snow.
    I've really liked them too - have had them on 4 cars now. They generally last 3 winters and are super grippy, with wide enough tread voids for deeper snow. I like them a lot. I used to live at an area that frequently got black ice and wet snow/slush and never had an issue.

But apparently they are not sexy enough for dentist crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    you could pay your costco membership with the savings on a set of blizzy
    I may end up going this route. 2 seasons is probably all I can expect regardless with all my miles.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    I may end up going this route. 2 seasons is probably all I can expect regardless with all my miles.
    with your miles.. totally.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    +1. These are great wearing snows, and cheap to boot. I get 3/4 the performance of the Nokians in the snow for 1/2 the price. I always had trouble getting the Blizzaks to balance properly plus they wore fast, so I just gave up on them. I got 50K+ on my last set of Altimax and drove them year round.
    Drove them all year??? I only ask as I have been thinking about buying some snows for my V70R. The AS tires on it do have the snow flake symbol, but on ice they still feel a little squirrely to me. Issue is, I drive 370 miles one way on dry roads to Mammoth normally. while I am up there snows could be really helpful but I have read that snows on dry concrete can feel a little odd and they may follow the the groves in the pavement and that would make me nutty.

So what do you think? Just stick with my AS tires or buy the snows for when I know it is dumping up there and hope the dry pavement performance while blasting up the 395 doesn't make me drive the car into a ditch.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Drove them all year??? I only ask as I have been thinking about buying some snows for my V70R. The AS tires on it do have the snow flake symbol, but on ice they still feel a little squirrely to me. Issue is, I drive 370 miles one way on dry roads to Mammoth normally. while I am up there snows could be really helpful but I have read that snows on dry concrete can feel a little odd and they may follow the the groves in the pavement and that would make me nutty.

So what do you think? Just stick with my AS tires or buy the snows for when I know it is dumping up there and hope the dry pavement performance while blasting up the 395 doesn't make me drive the car into a ditch.

I'm way out east on the CO front range, so doing about what you are, sometimes less distance and sometimes more.

I just run whatever the 4wd comes with till gone, and then switch to a snowflake tire or good M+S.

Just too many miles dry, and way more speed. Figure it's safer this way, just take a chill pill in the mountains and have never had an issue.