Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewd View Post
    What is up with the shitty oem tires. Just got the lady a new 2019 Forester and these things are just cheap. Will probably end up getting her Blizzaks or something similar if anyone has any recommendations, first Subaru.Attachment 258053
    Nokians through Barnsley on Folsom & Pearl. They'll match Tire Rack's pricing in general (Tire Rack doesn't sell Nokian). They're also one of their authorized installers.

All this, and you're buying local too !

They're typically incredibly busy this time of year, (doh!).

I'd also seriously consider x-ices.

Blizzaks? If you like minimal mileage (read up on half the tread and throw it out).

I really like most all of Summit's posts, but have no idea about the relevance of initial tread depth to longevity. Blizzaks are the absolute worst, and even their biggest fans will tell you that.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    The latest generation of Blizzaks (WS-80 & DM-V2) handle a lot better than their predecessors.
    Having driven the DMV1 then the DMV2, I agree, DMV2 huge improvement of road handling... and they've improved the DMV2 over the original DMV2 without issuing a new model name (note the speed rating went from R to S).

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    More to it than simply tread depth, though. The macro pattern is the feature that addresses slush and rain movement to the outside edges of the tire.

Look at the tread layout difference between the X-ice and the DMV2...
    I agree!

Xi3 vs DMV2 vs Hakka R3SUV

Also agree here:

the Michelin is a better "commute to the mountains" tire as it wears longer and handles better on wet and dry roads.
    I think the DMV2 is a better extreme winter tire with its extra sipping for packed snow and ice and more open tread to handle slush and soft snow. It is worth it to me, but I am not driving a lot of highway commuter miles or miles at 55F+ in the city while its snow in the mountains. Remember snow tires have severely accelerated wear rates at higher temps (and I suspect Blizzaks are the worst for this). The DMV2 is a better dry road tire than the DMV1. Maybe not as good as the Michelin.

I haven't driven a Nokian since I drove a Hakka Q on a rental (predecessor to the R/R2 now R3). I believe that Nokian has has similar progression with road handling without sacrificing the "extreme winter first" functionality. (Cornering on Q rated snows was an exercise in squigly wiggly!)

I've also driven quite nice road handling "performance snow tires" like the Dunolop Wintersport 2 and 3D plus some Pirelli Sotozeros that do great on dry/wet pavement even at high speed and still hold their own in the snow.
    Last edited by Summit; 12-03-2018 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Gear swap x-post, I have a full set+spare of Wintercat SSTs in 235/70R16 in excellent condition for sale, plus. All 5 are mounted on dual-hole rims compatible with 5x114.3 or 5x108 bolt patterns. Mag priced at $300

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ires-235-70R16

Bridgestone $70 visa card promotion ends tonite at 2359 hrs

jgb@etree Guest
    Anyone near Albany NY and need a set of Nokian Hakka's in 225/55 18? A friend up there runs a tire shop and found a brand new set that he cant sell due to the date code. Offered them to me, but i dont have a car that they fit. Shoot me a PM if interested and i can help coordinate pickup

found a HAKKAPELIITTA 8 in my size this morning. they felt good, though it was hard to resist the pull of the healer rubber it doesn’t matter as much over a couple winters and hopefully kick ass in the snow.

would not recommend the yokos- i put them on in november and they just never felt great
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

My first choice Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT studded were sold out for the year. I went with Hakkapilliita 9.

I got some Duratracs AT tires with the mountain snowflake mark for this season on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. They are great in packed snow and unplowed deep stuff, but on ice they seem a little sketchy. Could just be a SUV thing but it seems like the Jeep wants to fishtail in ice.

Quote Originally Posted by mitanokaseifu View Post
    I got some Duratracs AT tires with the mountain snowflake mark for this season on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. They are great in packed snow and unplowed deep stuff, but on ice they seem a little sketchy. Could just be a SUV thing but it seems like the Jeep wants to fishtail in ice.
    HA... I feel like every jeep I have been in loved doing doughnuts.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

IME a 4 door 4runer with high CG/short WB would give me a half doz brown pants instance's a winter season running at highway speed, where the truck would be scaring the hell out of me

whereas an ex cab PU has a longer WB so thing happen much slower ... maybe its the short wheelbase ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-20-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bump....need snow tires for daughters 17’ Forester....she has all season General Altimax’s on it now and they have been fine/......want to put snows on it this winter...anyone have/recommend General Altimax Arctics?

I know there are better/more expensive tires/studs, etc.....but we’ve had success with the all season Altimax....was wondering what mags thought about their snows?

I have the Altimax Arctic’s on my Alltrack. Thumbs up. I bought them in late 2017, wearing well so far. I bought them based on the good reviews on tirerack.com, and the relatively deep tread grooves.

Thx....was hoping for positives...we’ve had such good experience with the all seasons/price/value.

I just picked up a set of altimax arctic's for the wife's rav4 this fall. My brother ran a set on a cruze for a while and had good things to say.

I have the Altimax Arctic on my car, and they're fine. Mine are studdable but not studded, and about 4-5 years old. AWD Lexus IS.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just bought new blizzaks for the new CX5. I know they are soft but this is the 4th set I’ve had and they are so damn amazing in snow. I swap em out in the late spring and they last about 3 winters for me and I drive a LOT.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Just bought new blizzaks for the new CX5. I know they are soft but this is the 4th set I’ve had and they are so damn amazing in snow. I swap em out in the late spring and they last about 3 winters for me and I drive a LOT.

Thanks, good to know...maybe I try them on wife’s vehicle...she’s drives a ton as well...

️snow tire recommendations

bump

Going to be putting some proper snows on the 4runner this winter. Any recommendations against Hak 10’s (doubtful)?

Since they make them in SUV sizes I should be able to find a direct match which would be nice.

Got the Hak 10’s on the wife’s Suby….fucking great tires

I rip the groomed on tele gear

️snow tire recommendations

Just got some blizzaks. Probably could have gotten another season out of my x-ice, but probably not two, and I’m planning on at least two more seasons with this car. X-ice were ok. I’d call them a superior dry/wet road tire. Didn’t dig as well on ice and snow, though, from my own anecdotal and hazy analysis.

So, math worked out better for me to have two+ seasons on a tire I preferred than one marginal season and then a single season on new rubber.

Watch this fucking Audi die on me in January, now…..
    focus.

We got the Suby w nearly new x-ice on and they were terrible snow tires. That’s what prompted the hakka’s

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Just put on a set of Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus on the tacoma. Both her summers and winters were done, decided to go with an 'all-weather'. We'll see how they do this winter. They look nice an aggresive.

Also just put the studded hakk LT3s on the silverado. They sure are confidence-inspiring. This will be the last year for the x-ice on the wife's commuter wagon. Can't complain about their performance over the past 9 winters. Probably will replace with the same.

I think all these fucking Americans are counting on special dispensation from god or SFT

but as a heathen my life is riding on these things period endof sentance

so i went with the 10ply Haks eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have only good things to say about the Falken Wildpeak AT3W Trail I had on my Rover last winter. W = winter, they have the snowflake symbol. The only negative is there's just a bit of slip going into tight(ish) corners in wet snow so I plan for it. They're really good in dry snow and predictable in icy conditions. They also happen to be great on road and hot summer pavement didn't seem to lead to serious wear like dedicated snow tires.

Get on those new tires asap

will-snow-tire-shortage-leave-you-stuck-this-winter/

Supply chain and labor shortages could have an impact on your driving this winter. Snow tires could be in short supply.

“Goodyear made a statement that North America by itself is going to be short 5 million tires for the fiscal 2021 year,” said David Butterfield, the store manager at Vermont Tire & Service. “We’re already feeling it, I don’t know what the answer is.”

Butterfield says he hasn’t seen a year like this yet. They’re struggling to meet customer needs.

“Us, as a company, we are probably about 35%-40% of what we usually have in stock, available at this time,” he said.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime