Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    then you dont have a good tire shop

lots of places sell tires, but only a few places specialize in tires...these arent chain stores....
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    I have these on my Forester and they are not a snow tire but work great.

General Tire Grabber AT2
    I have the same and think they're great in snow, but I also know nothing about tires, bought em based on review of a bunch of threads, and maybe there's some confirmation bias here.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

General Tire Grabber AT2
    "While many of the Grabber AT2 On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tires meet industry severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol, some do not. Specific tires/sizes not meeting the industry's requirements are identified with a "Not Rated For Severe Snow" notation on Sizes & Prices, as well as on Specs."

Which begs the question exactly what is a snow tire? And why do some size not count.

They're great tires though. had them on two vehicles. will probably replace them with more.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Get the black ones
    watch out for snakes

#blacktiersmatter
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I also was offered the michelin x-ice xi3 for the same price, but am unsure on performance of these. Michelin used have crappy snow tires, but I have no idea if their new tires are better now.
    I'd jump all over those Michelin x-ices.
    Tirerack recently tested them and they outperformed (albeit slightly) the latest blizzaks

Edit: actually it was x-ice xi2 outperformed blizzak DM-V2 in SUV/CUV test. Last sedan test had x-ice xi3 a tiny bit behind blizzak ws80.

x ice will wear pretty quickly on dry pavement especially on the warm days. I got Conti EWC's (on my BRZ) last year and love them. Great road tires, handle as close to good 3 season tires as a winter specific tire can, they rock in the snow (I never got stuck in a lightweight rwd sports car) and they wear well.

General Tire Grabber AT2
    Dang, mudders on a Forester. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    then you dont have a good tire shop

lots of places sell tires, but only a few places specialize in tires...these arent chain stores....
    I'd love to hear where a good tire shop (must have medium to big selection) is in SLC and be able to shoot the shit with them.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    x ice will wear pretty quickly on dry pavement especially on the warm days.
    Definitely many warm days in SLC when it's snowy in the upper canyons. Thanks.

Off with sumah sneakers, on wit wintah treads.
    watch out for snakes

Just got some Blizzak DM-V2's installed on the new Pilot... Swapped off the Dueller A/S m+s tires that were on it. They were ok, thanks to the Pilot's awesome awd. The blizzaks are like driving around on suction cups. Unbelievable snow traction. I've tried some cheaper tires and they just don't compare. Now have these, the ws-80 on the suzuki, and the w965 on the truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Definitely many warm days in SLC when it's snowy in the upper canyons. Thanks.
    Ahh Utah, that's an important detail. You may be better served by a winter tire that's not ice specific, those tend to be rotten or marginal at best in soft snow.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    ...the new Pilot...
    Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Say what?
    You missed that part? The Tahoe went back. Actually laid over in a CR-V for about 3 hours as well, which proved to have some steering wheel shudder that apparently affects a large percentage of all the CR-Vs built in the '15 model year and for which Honda has no solution. So that went back too. Ended up in 4 different cars in 3 days. Have had the Pilot for about a week now. I just couldn't bring myself to drop $40+k on a used car, which took me out of the G-Wagen market. Leased the Pilot and will just drop the thing off in 35 months, 3 weeks, and get something else.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Yeah I missed the conclusion somehow, thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Just got some Blizzak DM-V2's installed on the new Pilot... Swapped off the Dueller A/S m+s tires that were on it. They were ok, thanks to the Pilot's awesome awd. The blizzaks are like driving around on suction cups. Unbelievable snow traction.
    did the exact same swap on the wife's new awd highlander last week, the blizzys are fucking awesome indeed

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Upright, the pilot is a solid vehicle but tends to get thrown around in the slush at highway speeds.
    Is there a car that doesn't? Driving through deep slush at 50mph sucks, even in my truck with the plow on and a ton of sand in the back.
    Hugh Conway sucks

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    x ice will wear pretty quickly on dry pavement especially on the warm days. I got Conti EWC's (on my BRZ) last year and love them. Great road tires, handle as close to good 3 season tires as a winter specific tire can, they rock in the snow (I never got stuck in a lightweight rwd sports car) and they wear well.
    Have not had any problems running x-ice year round in northern CA. Sedan, bay area to Sierras, winter skiing and summer backpacking. xi2s had 40k+ and summer tread left, the xi3s look like they'll do the same (30k on them now). 2/3rds of my driving is what passes for winter here - 30-70 degrees.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

I'd love to hear where a good tire shop (must have medium to big selection) is in SLC and be able to shoot the shit with them.
    Find an installer you trust. The best tire shop in the world doesn't match what's available on the internet, especially since the tax savings pay for the shipping (if any.)

Do your research, buy on the web, ship to installer. Tires arrive, you get a call, and BAM.

^^^Huh? Tire shop's don't have access to the internet? Sometimes you get better pricing on the web, sometimes you don't. Sometimes it's better to pay a little more to the local mechanic so you're on the in. Many times installers charge a higher price on tires you don't purchase from them.

I just went through this myself. The tires I wanted were cheaper purchased from my local mechanic than though the web. But I've probably purchased 10 sets of tires from him. He also knows what works around here. There is value in building relationships.

I dunno man, maybe it's a regional thing. The tire shops I contacted around here would only sell/mount tires they repped. I wanted Nokians and nobody around here sold those. Bought them on the web, had them shipped to my local Exxon, and they mounted them for $100. All in cost was about $400 less than the Continentals the tire shop recommended.

Mounting cost was pretty much what I would have paid in taxes.

^^^nokians for the win. Hakkapaliita
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I
    Aggressive in my own mind

Had both Blizzaks and Michelin x-ice. The Michelin are equal to Blizzaks in fresh snow (excellent) but have better dry road handling and longer tread life on my fwd Passat.