Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Anyone have any info on Murray Hay?

Murray Hay

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Anyone have any info on Murray Hay?
    Hi. Actually, yes. I love the comments on this thread. Murray Hay is my Father. He passed away on October 27th 2015. Funny, looking at the dates on this thread, nice to know he was remembered around that time. I am currently doing some research for an article on Dad, and a fund raiser of some of his original work. Dad wanted his work to go for the benefit of skiing in North America, particularly Canada. Any interest out there in his story? I would love to know. Thanks.

Thanks for posting^^^.

Sorry for the loss of your dad. I would be interested in a story, skiing history is important and shouldn't be lost.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I want to hear about his story!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Reminds me that we used Niehues maps when I was an engineer with Ratnik Industries. That was before GPS and we needed to determine lengths and areas of runs for snowmaking piping layouts. Was a cool job and using his maps for ski areas I hadn't skied after seeing his name on so many I did ski was fun.

Did designs for areas all over the world. I miss doing that.

His facebook page is worth the visit .... pretty talented

Who's the other artist that does the maps K. M Mastin or something ??

October 2016 Ski Magazine has a short article on Niehues. Worth the read, pretty cool story.

http://www.skimap.org easy to lose yourself in there for a couple of hours. Being one of those millennials, it's interesting to look at maps from the past and see the evolution of ski areas (high speed lifts to the alpine) over the years.

Updating the maps at Lake Louise:
    https://lakelouiselowdown.wordpress....vented-part-3/

Also didn't see this posted yet.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    http://www.skimap.org easy to lose yourself in there for a couple of hours. Being one of those millennials, it's interesting to look at maps from the past and see the evolution of ski areas (high speed lifts to the alpine) over the years.

Updating the maps at Lake Louise:
    https://lakelouiselowdown.wordpress....vented-part-3/

Also didn't see this posted yet.

Well there goes my afternoon.....

No Way!

Quote Originally Posted by m3a328 View Post
    Hi. Actually, yes. I love the comments on this thread. Murray Hay is my Father. He passed away on October 27th 2015. Funny, looking at the dates on this thread, nice to know he was remembered around that time. I am currently doing some research for an article on Dad, and a fund raiser of some of his original work. Dad wanted his work to go for the benefit of skiing in North America, particularly Canada. Any interest out there in his story? I would love to know. Thanks.
    Hey, I work for Ski Big 3 (aka Ski Banff-Lake Louise-Sunshine) and we’ve been using the same Murray Hay image of Banff & Lake Louise for over 35 years. I’ve always wondered where the original is, as it’s still relevant today. Drop me a line (chris [at] skibig3 [dawt] com) some time.

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBigChris View Post
    Hey, I work for Ski Big 3 (aka Ski Banff-Lake Louise-Sunshine) and we’ve been using the same Murray Hay image of Banff & Lake Louise for over 35 years. I’ve always wondered where the original is, as it’s still relevant today. Drop me a line (chris [at] skibig3 [dawt] com) some time.
    Hi Chris, that was the second painting that Dad ever did. He was still figuring out his process. I am working on documenting his work and technique. I have a face book page for him. Check it out. I am also working with Skiing History magazine and contacting Banff museums among others. Dad wanted his legacy to be of benefit to skiing, especially in Alberta. The page is Murray Hay paintings. It's in it's infancy, so I would welcome your input. I am currently going through his remaining originals and trail maps, brochures, posters etc. Maybe I can help? Thanks for the response.

Hi Chris, that was the second painting that Dad ever did. He was still figuring out his process. I am working on documenting his work and technique. I have a face book page for him. Check it out. I am also working with Skiing History magazine and contacting Banff museums among others. Dad wanted his legacy to be of benefit to skiing, especially in Alberta. The page is Murray Hay paintings. It's in it's infancy, so I would welcome your input. I am currently going through his remaining originals and trail maps, brochures, posters etc. Maybe I can help? Thanks for the response.
    m3a328,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad as well and would love to see some more of his work if you can put it up. Did he paint mountains in general or just maps? Marmot Basin looks sick!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

So much greatness in this thread.
    I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    So much greatness in this thread.
    I feel like a kid in a candy store.
    me,too. His prints aren't that expensive.
    Would love one of Stowe since I know every inch of that hill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    Awesome is as awesome does...
    Time for Tuckerman commissions a Nehues interpretation of The Ravine
    The kickstarters got a limited edition, but prints can be had from Nehues...click here to learn more:
    Crazy it was only $2,000 to commission his artwork.
    His net worth is 6 million.
    But when you think about the amount of work he did for his life time as one and only (75% of the large ski resorts in the US!!!), I don’t think that’s a whole lot.

Crazy, I pulled up James Niehues website and the image on the front page is him painting White Pass. I grew up skiing there and took my kids there for the first time 3 days ago. Pretty cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	James-niehues-ski-trail-map-artist.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	231050

Thank you. The "map" part of the painting is a clear overlay where he would outline the runs and label them. The paintings behind the overlay are beautiful. Most of the originals are with the hills, but i am currently documenting his work and am trying to write about his process, work and life. There were so few of these artists and before computers, I think it's important for ski and mountain history. I will try to post a few on my site here, but i am a bit of a rookie. I did set up a Facebook page for Murray Hay paintings if you want to check it out. There was a good article on Dad in the December 2017 "Skiing History" magazine. It's on the page too. I am biased, but in addition to being quite a talented artist, Dad's personal story is pretty interesting. You're welcome to contact me, and i will be posting paintings etc. Thanks!

Change your user name for us to recognize you as well.
    Otherwise no one will listen to m Jong.

Here's the direct link, might get you more hits: https://www.facebook.com/Murrayhayskimaps/
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy