Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

2015-2016 Mammoth/Baldy/Big Bear/SoCal: Let's Start the Show!

Found powder in SoCal yesterday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1452265193.215340.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	732.3 KB 
ID:	174649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1452265325.899928.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	599.8 KB 
ID:	174650  
    Last edited by whyturn; 01-08-2016 at 09:37 AM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    Ha, all skis were acquired via gear swap, so we're covered there.

Edit: @comish, thought your baldly comment was sarcasm in regards to mammoth. Where you going in yurp?
    Nope, was serious. I just think it needs more snow to be remotely safe and with the skiing in Mammoth sooo good right now, why bother with something that is still a bit sketchy.

St. Anton after a dreary week in Germany w/ Inlaws. Gonna be fun, although my 7 yr old is complaining that their race course for the kids ski school is flat Love it there!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Got to Mammoth on the 4th left on the 9th and it snowed alot! Loving this 2015/2016 season! Im headed up again next weekend.

Below is a pic of what happened when you sat down to fast!

Had a fun 4 days up at Mammy. I rarely take photos, as my phone blows, but my buddy Mindy Smith caught a view that was very unique.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Just got back from a great weekend at Mammoth. I missed the pow, but got to push around plenty of cutup stuff in the avi chutes, which is pretty much what I skied almost exclusively. They could use some wind to buff things up, as it is getting pretty bumped up, but all in all a great weekend.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Anybody wanna ski locally (Baldy/Snow Summit/Bear) early to lunchtime this thurs? See my post in socal thread... Eager to have somebody show me around to economize the time (gotta work in afternoon/evening).
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Was up at mammoth 1-8 thru 1-11. Bought a lift ticket Saturday and Sunday
    We were at Eagle lodge in a condo and my son-in-law had never been to mammoth. grew up in Tahoe so I had to show Him the top
    But Nope, top closed due to zero visibility. So, after making our way all the way over from Eagle to Chair2 , the lifts started closing because of wind and rain/sleet visibility
    Sunday we were able to make it up to the top. Hadn't been up there in a few years

It was fun, but I cant see myself doing too many more inbound days. Its just too expensive if you don't have a pass.

Its just amazing the difference between skiing at a resort and Backcountry. They are two different sports.

I used to LOVE riding inbounds. I just cant handle it anymore

Headed to Mammoth, I'll be on the bunnies with the GF. Red Mantras, bright orange boots, snowplowing aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Headed to Mammoth, I'll be on the bunnies with the GF. Red Mantras, bright orange boots, snowplowing aggressively.
    Want me to spring you free? I'll check in here before noon

I am headed up to Mammoth in a few hours solo. Would love to meet some mags. Hit me here. Who else is up?
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

DeepGosey, would love to hit mammoth one of these days with you. Been listening to your story since you got here. I think a TR with the goose would bring a few people out...

Two great days of skiing on Thurs & Friday have left me exhausted. Skied Mt Rose on Thursday. Deeper than I thought, around a foot of new. Some wind affect, depending where you were on the Mtn. The winds shut down North West before noon. The Chutes opened just after 12:00 pm. Deep enough in Miller Time and Chaos chutes that I wished I had brought fatter skis. Skied til 3:00 when hurricane force winds blew me off the mtn.

Today (Friday) I did an early morning drive to Mammoth from Galena. Drove by nine different accidents on the way down. Mostly people sliding out and hitting each other or the embankment. The storm was under forecasted for Mammoth with 12-16" of new snow.

The Tail was the deepest, least wind affected snow I found. Lapped it three times, fresh lines each time.

Powder in the morning, wind buff in the afternoon. Ch 23 ran all day as 3, 5, and G2 all shut down. Wipe outs had some silky wind buff.

My last run up ch 1 looking towards Main park. Some of the biggest kickers I've seen built here in awhile. These things are huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    Want me to spring you free? I'll check in here before noon

I am headed up to Mammoth in a few hours solo. Would love to meet some mags. Hit me here. Who else is up?
    Thank for the offer man, but this weekend is all about working on her skills. Say hello if you happen to see us though!

God that looks good. I plan on being there next week.

Thank for the offer man, but this weekend is all about working on her skills. Say hello if you happen to see us though!
    Then put her in a lesson, or let her ski alone and work on skills. Skiing with her and tell her what she is doing wrong is a quick way to end a relationship.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Did Mammoth avoid rain today?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Did Mammoth avoid rain today?
    It's mooooshy, but still lots of fun. I heard there was a 3hr wait for rentals today at canyon.. Facking gnarly crowded today
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Line to get lift tickets was 45 minutes at the Village window, probably two hours up at Canyon. Almost an hour to get a burger, idiots wouldn't just throw a dozen patties on the grill.

Line to get lift tickets was 45 minutes at the Village window, probably two hours up at Canyon. Almost an hour to get a burger, idiots wouldn't just throw a dozen patties on the grill.
    Go with the salad at canyon. Load up one plate to the angle of repose, layering In dressing, and grab another plate to transfer it to or split. With red beans and blue cheese, I had quite the lunch today for $9. Hey at least I paid for it unlike my dirt bag days when I would scope out the family that had ordered the $40 pizza but couldn't finish it and I would swoop in a grab leftovers before they could clean it up. And sleep in my truck. Oh wait that is where I am right now... Aww the good old days.

I have more than enough money to pay for shit nowadays but old habits are like old friends, in this case well met again after a long time away. More than happy to get a nice place with a crew but if it solo, I'm self contained unit

Was the second one down hangman's when they opened the top. My favorite chute that is actually within my ability to do decently when there is good snow below. Straight lining the choke is always a commitment but today I felt good and it came of splendidly.

I'm glad it is working out for you guys up there. I will be up next weekend, I'm hearing there should be another storm then.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Thinking of heading up (from LA) to Mammoth to take an Avy course and rent/test some kit. Never been in the BC, spent all my time inbounds but I'm going to head to CO in late Feb to go out into the mountains with a friend. Looks like Sierra Mountain International and Sierra Mountain Center are the two options, and renting gear from Mammoth Gear.

Good plan? Any recommendations?

Hiked some 14ers way back when, used to climb and ski a fair bit just been stuck at work for six years.

Quote Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
    Thinking of heading up (from LA) to Mammoth to take an Avy course and rent/test some kit. Never been in the BC, spent all my time inbounds but I'm going to head to CO in late Feb to go out into the mountains with a friend. Looks like Sierra Mountain International and Sierra Mountain Center are the two options, and renting gear from Mammoth Gear.

Hiked some 14ers way back when, used to climb and ski a fair bit just been stuck at work for six years.
    Yes, Colorado snow pack is totally different from sierra.. SP at Sierra mountain center will set you straight...

Good Luck and have fun...
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Thursday was great. Most of the mountain was empty.

Some lovely wind on the slopes this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by milotrain View Post

Sierra Mountain Guides is also an option. Difinintely let them know you are heading to CO and ask them to talk about differences as time permits. Rental options are Mammoth Mountaineering in Mammoth and Wilson's East Side Sports in Bishop. Didn't know about Mammoth Gear, but it is a part of Mammoth Mountaineering, so not surprised.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot