Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

2015-2016 Mammoth/Baldy/Big Bear/SoCal: Let's Start the Show!

Checking in for skiing Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday (perhaps minus one of those days if legs are too sore…)

Woman will be back home with her family, so I will be free range and ready to rock. Snowman says 12,13,14 and 23 will be on before then too

Thursday will be utter madhouse?? See yall bout 8:10 on the gondy thurs. Bring on the storm!! (Storms?? &#128526
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Really fun at mammoth last 2 days even off groomers

Quote Originally Posted by trex_9 View Post
    Really fun at mammoth last 2 days even off groomers
    I just got back. Skied Saturday and Sunday and it was really fun. Make two turns down Cornice, cut skier's left and go under the Dropouts. There is a classic little chute that is split by a rock that has great windbuff. After that cut skier's left again for another similar chute. Great windbuff in both spots. The apron under the chutes is fun too. I just kept lapping those lines all day both days. I head Dave's was pretty good, but I was having too much fun where I was to go over there.

Had an interesting drive up. I live in Newport Beach, and left the office at 1:15, thinking I would be on the road by 2:00 at the latest. Normally I leave Saturday morning at 4:00 am and it takes me 5:30 hours to get there. I did not get on the road until 3:45 and it took me 8 hours.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Turkey weekend is shaping up to a good one, unfortunately I won't be there, so enjoy.

Current plans are to be there the weekend after.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Heading up for pow day tomorrow and maybe some turkey day groomers. If anyone wants to carpool leaving at noon. Hit me up if your going to be skiing. First turns
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I will be there with Team Comish in tow this weekend. Heading up Friday. Blue Marmot jacket, black helmet w/ St. Anton sticker/black dobermann boots easiest way to recognize. Rarely w/o little ones these days, but hoping to get a few runs solo or w/ Mrs. Comish.
    He who has the most fun wins!

New mag here, LA resident, figured I'd introduce myself in this thread as well as the meet the maggots thread. The fiance and I will likely be making a trip up to Mammoth the weekend after Thanksgiving, and likely many more trips this winter. I'm also down for solo trips to Bear/Summit/Baldy/wherever on a moment's notice, the fiance typically requires a bit more heads up. If anyone's interested in a carpool buddy for random weekends over the winter, I'd gladly chip in for gas money - my '99 outback is slowly dying, and I'm hoping to minimize the stress I put it through this winter before retiring it and getting a new one.

Anyways, looking forward to this season, and to meeting you guys (gals?) on the mountain/in the bar.

Welcome to the mad house.

My travel schedule rarely works for ride sharing, but always willing to if it does. I usually leave Saturdays, noonish, and drive back Tuesdays after skiing.

Always like to hook up with mag(ette)s, and will be up Dec 5-8. Shoot a PM if around.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Anybody out there this am?

Bumming in La Jolla till the masses leave.........

Headed up tomorrow am, should be on the hill by 1:30.
    Let's hit it.
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Went up yesterday. Chairs were running early then the wind showed its teeth. Left just before the snow.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Anybody ski this AM? Curious about conditions up top... Looked blown off as hell before the storm. Wondering what 23 looks like, and Cornice (and Climax?? if open)

Planning to be up there for first gondy tomorrow morning and probably ski Friday am as well.

Look out for the kook on DPS (white wailer or red lotus), orange pants, yellow arcteryx jacket, orange helmet. Pretty obnoxious colors. Pretty stoked, so possibly obnoxiously hooting and hollering, too... And no woman in tow this weekend, so I'll be hungry for the goods...

Whyturn, barnballs, team comish, hope to see some of you guys up there.

Plustwo, would be good to hook up. This is my second season around Mammoth etc, and I haven't skied with much of the SoCal contingent yet. I'll be at Mammoth whenever I can on weekends and Big Bear weekends I can't get that far; hopefully some Thursdays at Baldy when they open...
    -Jimi Hendrix

Any info on conditions on the south end? San Jacinto, Big Bear etc? Just looking for a little bit of snowpack for some easy skinning around.

Thanks!

^ Pretty sure there's nothing yet, not even enough on the crest of San G.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Pretty sure there's nothing yet, not even enough on the crest of San G.
    Second that, drove the 10 out to Phoenix Sunday, just a dusting up on San Jacinto. San G was not happening (yet).

Skied mammy from open til about 2 yesterday.

Weather was weird. Like "window shopping" in AK. Good viz pretty much all day, maybe 1" of accumulation, and very minimal wind. Coooold too!

Started on chair 3--sharky, for sure, got a couple core shots. Then, with whispers "it's gonna be a while" for 23, headed back to 12/14 only to discover at top of 14 that 23 was already spinning! Took maybe 25 min til it was pretty fully tracked... Ride down monument was pretty stellar--snow really not wind affected at all. : )

Last storm w big east winds def scoured everything. Wipe-outs were PEEEEPPERY for most of the way. Drop outs better, but top 200' still pretty sketchy. More core shots, but also face shots! Definitely skied like at least 15" or so...

Spent some laps in afternoon in trees off 14. Coverage was more consistent, but definitely some exposed stumps. Got pretty crusty/icy late in the day. Hemlocks and esp upper lift line need a LOT more to be good to go. But pretty fun back there!

Finished the day in some awful pea soup viz on climax. Was my only lap on G2. Not sure why I didn't do that earlier in the day. Snow was pretty damn good--less tracked than 23 I'd say. Still sketchy coverage up high, but if I were skiing today (I'm not--too much work and legs are absolutely COOKED), I'd probably lap climax until otherwise specified...

Good skiing w whyturn for a lap or two. Bummer about your buddy's knee. Really hoping it's not too serious.

Hell of a fun turkey day! Just gotta get to the gym A LOT, and get a bit more coverage on some of these boulder booters, and it will be ON!

Planning to ski big bear next Sunday and following Sunday w the woman. Next shot for mammoth will be sat/sun dec 19/20. Canyon and eagle should be open, so that's ok w me... Hopefully see yall up there!
    -Jimi Hendrix

Wednesday was deep cold blower. No people and untracked in spots till the end of the day. Pm gear Kusalhasa treated me well

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1448662789.365196.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	835.7 KB 
ID:	172460
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Got a half day in today. Fun snow, very cold. But the parking is a nightmare backed up all the way down from main since canyon and eagle aren't open. Get up there early if you are coming up. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Skied mammy from open til about 2 yesterday.

Weather was weird. Like "window shopping" in AK. Good viz pretty much all day, maybe 1" of accumulation, and very minimal wind. Coooold too!

Started on chair 3--sharky, for sure, got a couple core shots. Then, with whispers "it's gonna be a while" for 23, headed back to 12/14 only to discover at top of 14 that 23 was already spinning! Took maybe 25 min til it was pretty fully tracked... Ride down monument was pretty stellar--snow really not wind affected at all. : )

Last storm w big east winds def scoured everything. Wipe-outs were PEEEEPPERY for most of the way. Drop outs better, but top 200' still pretty sketchy. More core shots, but also face shots! Definitely skied like at least 15" or so...

Spent some laps in afternoon in trees off 14. Coverage was more consistent, but definitely some exposed stumps. Got pretty crusty/icy late in the day. Hemlocks and esp upper lift line need a LOT more to be good to go. But pretty fun back there!

Finished the day in some awful pea soup viz on climax. Was my only lap on G2. Not sure why I didn't do that earlier in the day. Snow was pretty damn good--less tracked than 23 I'd say. Still sketchy coverage up high, but if I were skiing today (I'm not--too much work and legs are absolutely COOKED), I'd probably lap climax until otherwise specified...

Good skiing w whyturn for a lap or two. Bummer about your buddy's knee. Really hoping it's not too serious.

Hell of a fun turkey day! Just gotta get to the gym A LOT, and get a bit more coverage on some of these boulder booters, and it will be ON!

Planning to ski big bear next Sunday and following Sunday w the woman. Next shot for mammoth will be sat/sun dec 19/20. Canyon and eagle should be open, so that's ok w me... Hopefully see yall up there!
    Glad you had fun. Just to clarify, could you get into the Dropouts from the top? Last weekend, before the storm, you had to traverse in after taking two turns down Cornice and cutting skier's left. If you can get in off the top conditions have definitely improved.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

^^^the top is super boney and needs like two more feet
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Christmas Bowl-to-Coyote was tasty

Chair 12 runs were fun, good cover

Skiers left-side of Face of 5 is good, but bottom half pretty boney.

Total and complete shit-show today getting up the hill. Gave it about 1.5 hours, a dozen packed buses, and walked back to the condo...never seen it this mobbed. This is the line-up from the Village...two hours of jam.

Bar-bound.
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Easy solution. Park at canyon. Walk up chair 7, 15 mins, then get on rollercoaster. I don't think canyon will be open for another couple weeks.

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably be up weekend after next.

Had a nice Turkey weekend with the family. Took my 11 yo daughther down Dave's for the first time. Nice light wind buff on Cornice and Lower Dropouts in the mornings. Cold (for Mammoth) walk from the parking lot in the morning.

Friday was the worst traffic day I had ever seen at Mammoth. At the end of the day we stood in line for an hour waiting for the bus, then took another hour for the bus to get down the hill. I heard there were 9000 skiers on the hill, and almost all passing through Main Lodge.

We changed up our transportation plan for Saturday. Drove up and parked early (7:30 AM), and ate at the Yodeler and stayed late (6 PM). Worked out much better for our sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post

I think I'm able to do 19/20 if you want to pool up to the hill.