Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2015-2016 Mammoth/Baldy/Big Bear/SoCal: Let's Start the Show!

Alright, party people, it's November, and--while perhaps heavily delayed--The Turn is upon us. As well as the first Winter Storm Watch. Days 'til opening will tomorrow be in single digits. And I'm giddy...

So let's talk turkey... Post up anything you got on plans, conditions, projected openings, or even just requirements for a frosty brew around the hill. It's gonna be a good year. As Ashley Schaeffer of Ashley Schaeffer BMW would say, I feel it... deep down in ma PLUMS. Here are some links that may be helpful, focused on Mammoth at this point.

MAMMOTH INFO:
    - NWS @ Top of Gondola/23 for wind forecasts and optimistic snow totals
    - Snowman for general overview of Mammoth status
    - Howard the weather guy for Open Snow-like discussion

- Snow report
    - Lift status
    - Roads
    - Web cams (anybody know how to link these directly in??)

[SPACE SAVED FOR WHEN RELEVANT: BALDY INFO]

[SPACE SAVED FOR WHEN RELEVANT: BIG BEAR/SNOW SUMMIT INFO]

So... Let's start the show!

Anybody long-range planning on opening weekend at Mammoth 14th/15th? Maybe a little premature to inquire, but let's face it, I'm stoked and maybe you should be, too...

I'll have the lady in tow after lunchtimes but am given full clearance to get after it Sat and Sun AM (with whatever there is after which to get...). Godsbegood, may be more than just groomers. Would be sweet to ski with some more mags this year. Post up!
    Last edited by Deep Days; 11-02-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

C u in the trees (at June)
    Baldy like '98
    Brianhead sidecountry (same distance as mammoth almost)
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Looking forward to a good season.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

What's the best route to take from reno?

580 to 395

Hopefully the drought will finally end. I'm hoping for it to be worth 2-3 weekends at Mammoth a month and a day at Baldy every weekend I don't go up. That's what we had in 10/11. I am not nuts enough to think it will be THAT good, but hopefully El Nino will deliver.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I have Jello plans for Mammoth on Thanksgiving weekend. An earlier trip is on the radar depending on snow conditions and rideshare oppurtunities. Deep Days, you have my number! Praise Ullr.

Hate how Snowman seems to overblow these forecasts so much. "90-100 FEET FORECAST IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS!!!!...but we'll have to see how it plays out...". Heh Bummer about the snow levels, but have to imagine they'll drop through the day... Webcam doesn't look too bad. McCoy at least looks pretty wintery. Fingers crossed for another storm next week, and maybe get to ski some bumps next weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by MT_Native View Post
    I have Jello plans for Mammoth on Thanksgiving weekend. An earlier trip is on the radar depending on snow conditions and rideshare oppurtunities. Deep Days, you have my number! Praise Ullr.
    Right on man. I'll keep in mind! Opening weekend pretty locked in with the woman, and I'm gone for a wedding 19 and 20, buuuut...

Lady is actually headed down to the bayou for Thanksgiving (bummed about that, but does free me up to ski). Aunt lives in Orange county; was considering probably heading to her place for Turkish zee-gehmanz day and rolling up to the hill then but may be around SD. Will keep you posted. Long drive alone!

Long duc, I'm hoping sort of for the same thing. More like 1-2 weekends a month though probly. Bosses have no idea where I am on Thursdays, so hoping to get up to Baldy a fair amount then too. May be pretty limited on ski days whole months of Dec and Jan because of interviews, but after that, the woman is the only limiting factor (will have to go to farmers markets, etc. on some powder days, and probably spend afternoons with her on groomers when she comes)...

BRING IT!
    -Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Hate how Snowman seems to overblow these forecasts so much. "90-100 FEET FORECAST IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS!!!!...but we'll have to see how it plays out...". Heh Bummer about the snow levels, but have to imagine they'll drop through the day... Webcam doesn't look too bad. McCoy at least looks pretty wintery. Fingers crossed for another storm next week, and maybe get to ski some bumps next weekend!

Right on man. I'll keep in mind! Opening weekend pretty locked in with the woman, and I'm gone for a wedding 19 and 20, buuuut...

Lady is actually headed down to the bayou for Thanksgiving (bummed about that, but does free me up to ski). Aunt lives in Orange county; was considering probably heading to her place for Turkish zee-gehmanz day and rolling up to the hill then but may be around SD. Will keep you posted. Long drive alone!

Long duc, I'm hoping sort of for the same thing. More like 1-2 weekends a month though probly. Bosses have no idea where I am on Thursdays, so hoping to get up to Baldy a fair amount then too. May be pretty limited on ski days whole months of Dec and Jan because of interviews, but after that, the woman is the only limiting factor (will have to go to farmers markets, etc. on some powder days, and probably spend afternoons with her on groomers when she comes)...

BRING IT!
    From my experience the last few years Snowman is usually pretty good. I do have to agree though, he has a tendency to get a bit overexcited.

I am very lucky with my wife, she is an ok skier, and really likes to go. If I go up 2-3 weekends a month in a good year, she would probably be with me for 1-2 of those weekends. Mammoth is well laid out for us, she can ski cornice, I can ski Hangman's, she can ski Scotty's, I can ski the noids or philippe's. She can also handle Dave's, and sometimes Climax. We are lucky Mammoth is laid out this way, if there was not anything manageable up top it would make our system more difficult.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

After 15+ years skiing with my wife, I have given up on being her ski instructor. She is happy to just cruise the blue corduroy. Anything more advanced, and she just loses all courage to make a turn and shuts down. I've learned to just go our seperate ways and meet up with her at the lodge for drinks. My kids are a different story - I took both of them for their first runs off Cornice last year.

Team Comish will be there a bunch this year. Mrs. Comish can hang on anything up top if she has her mojo. Mini Comish (7) was having fun down Cornice last year. The Comish twins (5) can be seen doing the "Power Wedge", as Plake called it last spring, down the lower mtn., although they did tackle backside of 3 in May. They are looking forward to ripping with the self named Wooly's princesses again this year (5 girls under 6, with 2 sets of twins!?!?)

Likely there 3ish weekends a month. If the Comish posse can roll that often with our logistics, the rest have nothing to whine about Hoping for a good season!

If there is more than a ribbon of death we are likely for opening weekend.
    Last edited by comish; 11-02-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Looking good right now
    Started snowing in town around 11 am and pretty much kept going.
    Just stopped 20 minutes ago.
    Should be a great opening week.

Town this evening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1446528286582.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	171113  

Top is looking pretty darn white according to the web cam! Good stuff.

Realize that I have been telling my woman for weeks that opening weekend will be a go for her. But realize that all this talk about "Broadway" may mean that discovery does not spin necessarily?? Do they open Broadway before discovery? With recent snow must not be a concern, though, right?
    -Jimi Hendrix

Mammoth web site now showing that they are opening on Thursday of this week. Wonder how much snow they got up top and what will be open.
    Going where the water taste like wine

Top is looking pretty darn white according to the web cam! Good stuff.

Realize that I have been telling my woman for weeks that opening weekend will be a go for her. But realize that all this talk about "Broadway" may mean that discovery does not spin necessarily?? Do they open Broadway before discovery? With recent snow must not be a concern, though, right?
    Duuuuuuuuuude! What's my man!!! This storm looked pretty amazing up there for this early. IIRC they hardly got anything in Nov. last year. December was pretty huge and we had 2 good weekends up there before Xmas.

I just hit 7-months post-op on the knee last week and am getting pretty strong. Trying to lay off jogging but it's possible and I'm trying to work in some more light "impact" training soon. Hoping to get a few days in before the new year to basically get my shit right from a comfort side. Wife is all fired up that I'll be by her side on the groomers all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Duuuuuuuuuude! What's my man!!! This storm looked pretty amazing up there for this early. IIRC they hardly got anything in Nov. last year. December was pretty huge and we had 2 good weekends up there before Xmas.

I just hit 7-months post-op on the knee last week and am getting pretty strong. Trying to lay off jogging but it's possible and I'm trying to work in some more light "impact" training soon. Hoping to get a few days in before the new year to basically get my shit right from a comfort side. Wife is all fired up that I'll be by her side on the groomers all day!
    What's up dude! Sounds like a long road to recovery (unfortunately nature of the beast). Hope it's as speedy as it can be. FWIW, I'm down to rip some groomers from time to time!

Talking with lady about maybe coming up this weekend (probably Sunday only)... Have to imagine that if there is early opening, Discovery will be one of those... Hope so. She would be maaaaaa-aad at me if not!

Hope to see y'all up there soon. Pretty much in for next weekend for sure. Fingers crossed for a storm Monday and maybe one later in the week!
    -Jimi Hendrix

Yes!!! I'm going up this Thursday night. Maybe see you at the chalet DD. Praise Ullr.

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY01 View Post
    Mammoth web site now showing that they are opening on Thursday of this week. Wonder how much snow they got up top and what will be open.
    From Mammoth

In case you missed it, we're opening on THURSDAY thanks to the 12-30" of new snow. We'll be running Broadway Express and Facelift Express with access to Saddlebowl, Broadway and Andy's Double Gold.

Hmmm... if no beginner terrain for my female hetero life mate, I'm out. Hopefully can make enough snow on Discovery to open by Sunday??

In CO, beginner terrain essentially always first to open. Beginners buy lift tix, not season passes, = more underpants gnomes profit. Or maybe beginners don't pull out all the stops for early opening weekends??

Anyway, hope it pans out and can make it up for Sunday. If so, see you up there Thurs evening, MT_Nat!
    -Jimi Hendrix

They will have at least McCoy down to main lodge open. You will have beginner terrain . STOKED ! November snow I hope it holds and builds. Id love to be skinning soon

In CO, beginner terrain essentially always first to open. Beginners buy lift tix, not season passes, = more underpants gnomes profit. Or maybe beginners don't pull out all the stops for early opening weekends??
    Good thing Mammoth is not in CO then. It has always been about getting the hill open as early as possible in what ever form that may be, and staying open as late as possible (or until 7/4, they no longer try and stay open until August.)

Not sure when I will make my first tracks. Due to the nature of Mammoth, early season is often pretty marginal. Too many Volkswagen sized rocks need to be covered to get good.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Fair enough. This woman is warping my perspective!

Anyway, see you guys next weekend, if not this one.
    -Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post

Boomer,

What kind of knee surgery did you have. When I did my ACL I was doing the stationary bike several months out of surgery, 4 months I think, and it really helped recover. You might want to check with your doctor or physical therapist to see if you can do that as it might help you get the lungs and legs strong for the winter. Good luck!