Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Depends a lot on traffic and where in LA you want to go. If you're taking the 14 and going to north LA, it takes about 4.5 hours without traffic. If you have to take the 395 all the way to the 15, it can take a while. Lots of spots with no passing zones and trucks doing 45. Plus you hit the vegas traffic on the 15 if you're making the drive on a sunday.

2015-2016 Mammoth/Baldy/Big Bear/SoCal: Let's Start the Show!

6.25 hr SD to Mammoth if hauling ass and no traffic (via 15/215/15 to 395). Typical Friday night is close to 7hr... Generally leave a little after 5 and get to chalet in town a little after midnight, sometimes 1230 with up two two stops for female bladder....

Ski til 145 or 2 Sundays, in car by 230, and usually home a little after 9. So... 6 1/2 to 7 is a pretty safe bet I'd say, either way.

May have convinced my girl to let me ski alone this weekend scot-free. Post up if yer skiin'

With luck, I'll be the kook in the orange pants and helmet on the green DPS spoons... :firedevil:
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

I'm heading up Thursday night. See you at the chalet!

From Sunday. Had first chair up Canyon, and probably was second or third guy in Avy 2. So freaking sweet. Missed the little air on the right midway (bummer), but big face shots many times over.

OK to quit watching once I get on the flat. My fat ass got tired and fell over down low...

Rather expensive weekend considering I lost a ski and never recovered. On my third goddamn run. (Probably should turn up my DIN after gaining 30# in the last 2 yr...) Oh well. Still have my Lotus 120s. Was my first damn day on the 138 Spoons but again, whatever...

See you guys late in the month?? Booked up for next 2 weekends; might try to demand Mammoth 3 weekends from now.
    -Jimi Hendrix

Max, bummer about the ski.
    Lost and found will have it eventually. I have retrieved a few items after the snow melts from them.

Enjoyed that video, fun run there.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Rather expensive weekend considering I lost a ski and never recovered.
    Wait........ you lost a 192cm Lotus 138 in special edition green and did not recover it? That's tragic, my condolences. No SAR activation? I'd be out there, still, digging in the snow with hands frostbitten to hell, mumbling, softly, about lost love. Seriously though, maybe it will peek out with all the sun this week. Where exactly did this trauma occur? If there's any hope for this world, someone will turn it in to lost and found. You'll probably (hopefully) get it back during this little dry spell.

2015-2016 Mammoth/Baldy/Big Bear/SoCal: Let's Start the Show!

Indeed it was special edition green, but 182 cm.

Yeah I guess it is worth putting you guys on the lookout in case any of you is out there. I hit a small air right in the throat of what I think is called grizzly, just skier's right of lift tower #10 on chair 22.

I came in to the landing fine but my ski popped off as I was landing and began to shoot straight downhill, into and through the first group of trees between lift tower number 10 and lift tower number nine.

Naturally I boot packed down along the line of last sight and heard someone on the chair telling me that he saw it somewhere near lift tower number nine. I limited my search mostly to around and below there and then back up to where I lost, down again, and back up again. With no luck, I retrieved another pair of skis from my car, and was able to traverse back-and-forth more efficiently in the same search area. It was my understanding that patrol took at least another half hour while I was doing this to search on their own, also with no luck, per the request of the helpful with the I talked to.

Curiously, another liftie stated that someone had told him he or she saw the ski near tower number three or tower number four (I would guess that is 500 vertical feet through the trees…). So that sucker must've been cooking downhill. I searched from the point of loss to as far down as that about three times especially in the areas I thought the ski would have deposited, but again to no avail. And this makes me think: it could be absolutely goddamn anywhere on the skier's right side chair 22 below tower #10…

This happened to me in the past, as blurred I imagine will recall, one deep powder day in Vail. What appeared to have happened even on an open slope was that the ski essentially submarined under the low density snow and was found a couple hundred yards down from where I lost it later in the summer.

So yeah if you see a green lotus 138 midway up chair 22 or a little below, post up! Gotta tighten those bindings!
    -Jimi Hendrix

Had a friend on this forum "Asandygal" lose a ski in the Avi Chutes a few years ago.She retrieved it in May by hiking in the area for a day.Saw the tail poking out I think. It will pop up eventually. I will keep a lookout for it next trip up if I am in that area.

I lost a ski on Drop 18 once, looked all over hell for it, dug and dug and dug, and it turned out to be in a tree. I think it was Twins who found it, if I recall correctly.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

BTW, I will be in Mammoth Sunday, Monday and Tuesday if anybody is about.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

From Sunday. Had first chair up Canyon, and probably was second or third guy in Avy 2. So freaking sweet. Missed the little air on the right midway (bummer), but big face shots many times over.

OK to quit watching once I get on the flat. My fat ass got tired and fell over down low...

Rather expensive weekend considering I lost a ski and never recovered. On my third goddamn run. (Probably should turn up my DIN after gaining 30# in the last 2 yr...) Oh well. Still have my Lotus 120s. Was my first damn day on the 138 Spoons but again, whatever...

See you guys late in the month?? Booked up for next 2 weekends; might try to demand Mammoth 3 weekends from now.
    will punch in face.

Wtf pony pee pee--learn how to not come in hot. Seen this type of flail so many times. Usually ends with go pro joe smashing a innocent human or itself into a tree.

??? Was fully in control. Went off air pretty slow. Just too fat for my DIN, embarrasingly enough.

Where in that video am I out of control?? Or presuming referring to the unfortunate series of events. I ski within my limits these days and have for some time. Not sure where this is coming from...

Thanks Twins. Hopefully you'll get lucky and I can buy you a beer sometime.
    -Jimi Hendrix

Was fully in control.
    Where in that video am I out of control?? .
    starting at :07

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    BTW, I will be in Mammoth Sunday, Monday and Tuesday if anybody is about.

PM me if you wanna ski Hutash

Deep Days, Ill check in with lost n found
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Fun Mammoth weekend this weekend. Dave's was good, Hanger's decent, but the real star for me was P1. I got into the Paranoids midday on Saturday and stayed there the rest of the weekend. Smooth, with classic windbuff. Sunday was even better, with the buff spraying me in the face. Hope the rest of you guys got some.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Didn't tick hangers, but got most everything else off the top or 23. Wipe out was fantastic Sunday with chalk and wind blow pow. Mostly cruised with the wife today, but did do sign line and Dave's both of which were chalky fun, but a tad firm at 3pm.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by cu77 View Post
    starting at :07
    Looked like a pretty good run to me. I think you and Rodney are being very critical.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Looked like a pretty good run to me. I think you and Rodney are being very critical.
    Over critical on TGR? Unpossible!

iscariot

Who's up this weekend? Girlfriend and I will stay at chalet Fri night and then real live hotel (gasp!) Sat night.

Hoping this storm pans out to fill in some of the bumps up high (and/or make for some more windbuff??). Hoping 48 hr is enough to get the top open after the storm and reap the benefits...

Who's in? jtran, hit me up if interested, brother.
    -Jimi Hendrix

Hopefully I will be up, but not too sure at this point.

I skied this weekend, and it was a blast. Honestly I did not find too many bumps on top to fill in, other than on Climax. On Saturday I started with a few Dave's laps, then hit sign line skier's left on Climax for a few laps which was fun. Then I hit up some hangman's laps and finally a few paranoids laps. Hangman's is really fun, not classic windbuff but nice and edgable without many ruts. I really like skiing it when it is like it is now. There are a couple of rocks in the choke, but no big deal. The noids were also nice, smooth and edgable. Sunday and Monday we were showing people around, so those days were split between groomers and me sneaking off in the afternoon to ski the top. Overall a great weekend, the top is skiing really well right now. Like I said, not classic windbuff but still smooth and edgable. Hangman's without the ruts is a real treat.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Might be up. Trying to decide on a quicky weekend in Utah versus heading back to Mammoth. I almost think Mammoth might ski better this weekend with some wind forecasted and no new snow for the weekend...
    He who has the most fun wins!

Getting stoked. 45° and sunny (and calm??) a couple days after 1 to 2 feet. Hmmm... Sounds OK to me! The girlfriend will be at the spa Sunday morning, so I will have carte blanche to ski anywhere on the mountain. Psyched about that as well.

Anybody any further tempted to head to Mammoth? Would be outstanding to be formally shown around finally if possible… I am generous with beers ;-)
    -Jimi Hendrix

We did a few laps traversing out from 9 below various parts of the Dragon and it was good. The chutes off the top were looking real good, and this storm should make them even better. Head chutes were still pretty boney though, so proceed with caution, there might be just enough snow to hide the teeth.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    We did a few laps traversing out from 9 below various parts of the Dragon and it was good. The chutes off the top were looking real good, and this storm should make them even better. Head chutes were still pretty boney though, so proceed with caution, there might be just enough snow to hide the teeth.
    Did you make it over to 23 and 14? Snow better over there? Looked pretty wet on the cams.

Headed up Friday after work, figure spend most of the time in the park and on groomers. Hopefully a good trip for the G4.