Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by -Devin- View Post
    Thanks for posting that Dev^^^

It ain't no joke out there, if it's not stripped by the winds, then it's severely wind loaded..

I got a 1st hand report on the negatives yesterday. Stripped faster than a 18 yr old trying to make tuition..

Be safe out there everyone!

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas

Edit: Comish, douche your box sir. You have a PM
    Last edited by Joey Bag O' Donuts; 12-24-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Wow, that is deep. Sounds like it had lots of skier traffic in the days prior to the most recent storm.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

I had skied that exact spot on climax last time I was up. That slide ripped.all the snow we were skiing on prior to this last storm cycle. I even did the lower part.of avi 3 before they opened that side of the mountain, and all that Strom ripped as well.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Past two days have been money. Will post more when I get home later this weekend.

Box is douched.

Team Comish heading up Wednesday night for the long weekend.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Skied Thursday through Saturday. Fresh pow all 3 days, with Thursday (storm day) being my personal favorite.

Surprisingly very little competition on the storm day. Didn't even wait in a line until all the upper lifts closed after noon. Spent the morning on 22. Didn't seem like anyone had skied there since the prior 40 inch storm, so it was DEEP. Somehow managed first tracks down Avy 1 and 2, without really even trying to do that. Best snow of the weekend on those runs. After upper lifts closed spun a few on chair 8 before calling it.

Xmas morning got in line at Canyon Express pre-opening. The lift was delayed about 5-10 minutes, so people that started on 8 got to 22 a few chairs before me, but I was probably in the first 30 or so chairs up 22. Traveresed to the bottom half directly from Canyon Express on my first run, and had great, super deep run through the trees. Stayed on 22 for 2 runs before it was getting tracked, then moved over to 5. Got a pretty good run on 5 (it got hammered fast) - highlight being that short, steep section lookers right of the chair base. Saw G2 opened from the bottom of 5, so headed to Mccoy. Took about 20-30 minutes to get on and up, but still plenty of fresh lines to be had. Hiked over to Wipeout 2 (23 not open) and got a completely fresh line off the top. Snow was surprisingly not wind affected on that side. Dave's, and skiers right side of the top looked awful. Headed over to the backside and spent the afternoon on 14. Traversed in to lower Hemlocks and got a sick run there too.

Saturday was mainly spent on 25, getting some leftovers and some surprisingly fresh snow through the lower trees. We kept watching 9 waiting for it to open, and it finally did at 10ish. Headed over there and had a few runs out the traverse. First run I skied an aspect I thought would be good but had a good 1-2 inch wind crust on it. Absolutely awful - worst run of the weekend. Once I got down I stayed on a more protected aspect and the snow was a whole lot better, but was super heavy/a little wind affected still. Took a few more through different parts of 9, then called it once my legs were beat, and the snow was tracked.

Hit the hot springs on the way south yesterday. $$$

All in all an amazing weekend. Can't wait to get back up - hopefully in January at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Skied Thursday through Saturday. Fresh pow all 3 days, with Thursday (storm day) being my personal favorite.

Surprisingly very little competition on the storm day. Didn't even wait in a line until all the upper lifts closed after noon. Spent the morning on 22. Didn't seem like anyone had skied there since the prior 40 inch storm, so it was DEEP. Somehow managed first tracks down Avy 1 and 2, without really even trying to do that. Best snow of the weekend on those runs. After upper lifts closed spun a few on chair 8 before calling it.

Xmas morning got in line at Canyon Express pre-opening. The lift was delayed about 5-10 minutes, so people that started on 8 got to 22 a few chairs before me, but I was probably in the first 30 or so chairs up 22. Traveresed to the bottom half directly from Canyon Express on my first run, and had great, super deep run through the trees. Stayed on 22 for 2 runs before it was getting tracked, then moved over to 5. Got a pretty good run on 5 (it got hammered fast) - highlight being that short, steep section lookers right of the chair base. Saw G2 opened from the bottom of 5, so headed to Mccoy. Took about 20-30 minutes to get on and up, but still plenty of fresh lines to be had. Hiked over to Wipeout 2 (23 not open) and got a completely fresh line off the top. Snow was surprisingly not wind affected on that side. Dave's, and skiers right side of the top looked awful. Headed over to the backside and spent the afternoon on 14. Traversed in to lower Hemlocks and got a sick run there too.

Saturday was mainly spent on 25, getting some leftovers and some surprisingly fresh snow through the lower trees. We kept watching 9 waiting for it to open, and it finally did at 10ish. Headed over there and had a few runs out the traverse. First run I skied an aspect I thought would be good but had a good 1-2 inch wind crust on it. Absolutely awful - worst run of the weekend. Once I got down I stayed on a more protected aspect and the snow was a whole lot better, but was super heavy/a little wind affected still. Took a few more through different parts of 9, then called it once my legs were beat, and the snow was tracked.

All in all an amazing weekend. Can't wait to get back up - hopefully in January at some point.
    Eff your couch Charlie Murphy.

Lord man. Sounds rad!

For those of you who enjoyed the bounty in light of my absence down south: you're welcome
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Days View Post
    Eff your couch Charlie Murphy.

Lord man. Sounds rad!

For those of you who enjoyed the bounty in light of my absence down south: you're welcome

x2. I won't be up till Wednesday. Heard more than I've needed to about how good it's been.

Here's a few pics (the snowboarder is not me)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1451327447122.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	174041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1451327458429.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	174042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1451327479169.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	174043  

^^ sweet pics!

Glad you had fun Jtran.

It is a shame that happened to you on chair 9, but not surprising. I have seen it get wind hammered quite often over there. Not to mention the traverse ruts make exiting the Dragon's Back area a bit of a nuisance.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I was also up there from the 23rd-27th and conditions were amazing. By the 26th and 27th the Christmas/Weekend Warrior were showing up, Mammoth Lakes was getting crowded, surprisingly the lift lines were not. Im headed back up Jan 4th hopefully the storm in the forecast pukes a foot or 2! If anyone wants to check out the conditions, I posted a couple videos to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thecadgod619
    Last edited by thecadgod; 12-30-2015 at 02:38 PM.

The sun came out and so did the crowds on Tuesday. This was the line to ride the Village Gondi down at the end of the day. Biggest I've ever seen it. Photo doesn't do it justice as the line stretched past Canyon Ex (ch 16) all the way to the "igloo". Thankfully the abundant snowfall lets everyone spread out and keeps it from being total chaos on the hill.

Wow. Lines weren't an issue at all Xmas weekend. I guess this week is the week the hordes arrive.

Wow. Lines weren't an issue at all Xmas weekend. I guess this week is the week the hordes arrive.
    I can second that for sure. The Saturday and Sunday after Christmas were great. Crowds were non existent and the cold temps and low sun angles kept the snow super light and dry with fun pow to be found in the tree's all weekend. Big crowds are a good thing after some tuff years for locals and the MTN.

Parking lots looked like a Jersey mall today.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Yet by this afternoon it was basically empty. I left the mountain just after 2 and there was nobody up top. Still some great snow under wipeout 3 and paranoids 1. Daves had some nice snow today too.

Im a MVP or California pass holders so it doesn't apply to me, but, I heard Mammoth is running some sort of unprompted special; Buy a ticket at the window, and have the choice to pay another $100 to upgrade it. If you upgrade it you can ski unlimited days in Jan?. Anyone heard or executed this deal? I have called Mammoth a couple times and get a different low down each time.

A good December for Mammoth, with 70 inches according to the Snowman. 70 is pretty average, but after the last few years of awful average looks pretty good. Hopefully January will be even better, but I don't want to get greedy.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Just rolled into town at dark, spent most of the evening digging out the driveway. It was a mad house on 395 south, but town is still busy tonight. I am hoping it clears out more. I am here solo Sun-Tues if anybody is about for turns or brews.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Shot from Chair 23 looking across wipeouts, Scotties and Monument. Look closely and you can see two skiers in upper part of Scotties in between the rock lines.

Snow stayed good all week with cold temps and mostly favorable wind direction. New Years day started off with clear skies and bitterly cold temps (by cali standards) in the single digits, but empty slopes. By the afternoon, the Mammoth wind machine was in effect with a howling west wind that loaded Dave's, Climax sign line and Monument/Scotties area with 2-3 inches of sugary snow.
    23 had no line all day and I alternated laps between it and Gondi 2 (to warm up) til closing. Last run down Dave's you could barely see into it due to the amount of snow being blown around. A great way to start the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

Shot from Chair 23 looking across wipeouts, Scotties and Monument. Look closely and you can see two skiers in upper part of Scotties in between the rock lines.

Snow stayed good all week with cold temps and mostly favorable wind direction. New Years day started off with clear skies and bitterly cold temps (by cali standards) in the single digits, but empty slopes. By the afternoon, the Mammoth wind machine was in effect with a howling west wind that loaded Dave's, Climax sign line and Monument/Scotties area with 2-3 inches of sugary snow.
    23 had no line all day and I alternated laps between it and Gondi 2 (to warm up) til closing. Last run down Dave's you could barely see into it due to the amount of snow being blown around. A great way to start the new year.
    Thanks for the shot ESS. I have missed the last two weekends, will be going up next weekend. Hopefully we get a refresher this week.

Sjow is holding g up well. Attleboro firm in places, but lacked powder on most of the upper mountain. Bumps are starting to get deep on Climax, caused a prerelease that fucked me royally. Fortunately no injuries just a
    tumble and slide. The few inches of new are needed to refresh things, but we could still use a few dumps to really get things going.

iscariot

30-42 inches by Friday at Main says the Snowman. Might have to go up AGAIN this weekend