Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I tried signing up for Spotify and couldn't immediately figure out how to set it up, so I'm still listening to Pandora and my iTunes library. I know, I know, I'm a dinosaur.
    I'm sure someone from this thread could walk you through that with ease. I'm not an apple guy, or I'd offer to help.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    You need to be able to remote into their computer, take control and plenty of photos or descriptions of the plugs or connectors that you want them to find. Get copies of the product manuals so you can describe the layout and what is where.

For the TV and cable box- fix that with a remote control that has an ALL power button on it which will power on or off all the devices programmed for it. Of course the programming would have to be done by you most likely next time you get home, figuring out how to get 2 or 3 devices working off a universal remote would be a challenge unless there is a very simple learning mode.
    Yes, get a Teamview host on her computer, set it up so you can just pop on when she calls. They even have an app for smartphones.
    Don't know what to say about tv.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Oh, that's a good one Benny! But you missed the tie in about how that would have given you something to do while waiting at the dealership! Of course, even a cheap ho like my mom would have been too expensive for you after you emptied your retirement account getting your subaru serviced. If you ever see my mom walking the streets, if you ask nice, maybe she'll show you how to replace your windshield wiper blades.
    Oh man, someone get Benny an appointment at the Burn Unit!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I just went to the Verizon store with my dad (early 70s) because he lost his (non-smart) phone while visiting me. He decided he wanted an iPhone, which (a) he can't afford (would be $50/month more than his current phone), and (b) he wouldn't be able to figure out and would be constantly complaining that it doesn't work like it's supposed to. My gambit: I said "You know those people who constantly stare at their phone? Do you want to be one of them? Because that's what having the internet on your phone will do." It worked, he got a slightly newer version of his old phone instead ($3 more per month) and he now explains to anyone who will listen that he CHOSE not to get a smartphone because he doesn't need one. Rather brilliant, if I do say so myself.

But I can already feel myself headed for tech obsolescence - I tried signing up for Spotify and couldn't immediately figure out how to set it up, so I'm still listening to Pandora and my iTunes library. I know, I know, I'm a dinosaur.
    They still make those phones? I was in the Verizon store yesterday, and didn't see one. Do they bring out an old box filled with stuff and sort through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    They still make those phones? I was in the Verizon store yesterday, and didn't see one. Do they bring out an old box filled with stuff and sort through it?
    Yeah, they don't have them on display, but they keep a few in the back room. I took my 88 y/o Mom to the Verizon store, got her a flip phone with HUGE buttons. I told the dude it was for her and he said "we have just what you are looking for...". He came back with a Samsung that you could work with your thumbs.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I don't think flip phones are going by the wayside anytime soon. Lot of people still like them. Most major carriers have them for sale on their web sites plus you can buy them from gear stores/Walmart/etc. Do a search for "flip phone" and you will get hits like "phones for seniors".

My mom recently needed a new battery for her flip phone. I had no problem finding one online.

I've passed the duty on to my daughter

My 90 yr old mother still lives alone, she can just barely run a normal phone, the good thing about that is she has no clue what a computer is so no computer or phone or internet scams on an old person, she just slams the phone down on them hell she just slams the phone down on me or my sisters ... just be happy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

But I can already feel myself headed for tech obsolescence - I tried signing up for Spotify and couldn't immediately figure out how to set it up, so I'm still listening to Pandora and my iTunes library. I know, I know, I'm a dinosaur.
    Shit--I'm on medicare and had no trouble setting up spotify.
    I also do choose to have a dumb phone because I would be on a smart phone too much--I already spend enough time on a computer as it is-- and because I already pay ATT too much.

Your brain can only know so much. You young whippersnapper s learn quick because you don't know anything.

Edit: So I'm over at the ski forum and linking to an article. I get the usual survey I have to answer to read the article. Question: "Do you use the internet?"
    Last edited by old goat; 11-01-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Does anyone use remote desktop software to fix their comp dramas remotely? I've only ever done this over a LAN but this could save me so much grief.
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers

Great Balls of Fire! Now the flip phone is proving too much. Ugh. Just got this email:

I give up. I need to get a new phone. Mine is dead again.
    Not more than a month ago I got her a new battery and everything was fine. I suspect the issue is with her charger because I noticed when I plugged it in after I put in the new battery that it didn't engage easily. I've asked her to try and charge it again making sure it is properly plugged in but added "maybe it's time to go back to a land line".

She doesn't drive anymore, lives in a retirement facility that is fully staffed and has buses to take her places (not that she's all that mobile these days). I really don't see why she needs a cell phone anymore.

there were 2 broken VCR's at my moms house, she said one had broke so they got another one and it also broke right away

they had put the same bad tape in the new machine ... I ended up going home with one of the machines
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think do about as much tech support for teenage cousins and my younger sister as I do for the parents and grand parents. It seems like a lot of younger people have no idea how anything works. Maybe because everything is so much easier to use now?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    there were 2 broken VCR's at my moms house, she said one had broke so they got another one and it also broke right away

they had put the same bad tape in the new machine ... I ended up going home with one of the machines
    You still use a vcr?

You still use a vcr?
    Got some old classic movies on VHS that I like to rewatch from time to time. Quality is still good so why not. I did try to replace one PBS series with a DVD and that quality suck beyond belief plus they had cut scenes to make it fit. Really pissed me off so I'm sticking with the VHS for that one.

I keep a land line so I don't use up all my cell phone minutes on hours-long toll free tech support calls--mainly to ATT because the internet up here keeps going out (5 years of them blaming me and my equipment until they finally fixed their remote terminal and the problems stopped for a year or two).

I keep of VHS so I can play my tape of the Rick Burns Donner Party movie, which I play when we need snow. It often works.

I did built a beautiful wenge cabinet to hold our CD's, VHS tapes, DVD's, and stereo equipment--7 ft by 4 foot by 2 foot and everything in it would fit into one ipod.

Bad joke or bad link?