Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
    Does anyone know how much moisture they got in salt lake proper overnight?

I'm trying to figure out if mtb off the bst will be good to go today.

It rained hard yesterday from about 230 til after midnight at least. BST will likely be gooey today.

Quote Originally Posted by Adski View Post
    It rained hard yesterday from about 230 til after midnight at least. BST will likely be gooey today.
    Thanks. I will make other plans for today!

Yesterday was good times at the Bird. Crowds in force for the sneaker powder day. But it delivered. Skied with some guys a bit out of my league. But they let me follow along with my camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

There's still some goodness out there. Was snowing heavy in BCC above ~7k' when skiATL and I came down this morning around 8...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZCyye8u.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	181430

Regarding the UAC, lol. After two, three, four decades, the UAC should just be a clearinghouse of information, how were the winds overnight, what observations and events have come in etc. At this point, the the UAC is there for the basic facts and major events, most of which shouldn't even come as a surprise. The cliches and advice that come across as annoying shouldn't be, they aren't meant for you but for folks new to making bc decisions.

I think the UAC has done an incredible job tempering all the really psyched up younger tourers and teaching them a bit of patience and self discipline through the last four or so more tricky snowpack years that we have had in the last six or so years.

For the record I thought the effort to continue Kimbrough's Christmas poem tradition was well done.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    There's still some goodness out there.
    ^ yes there is

Name:  solitude.png
Views: 1633
Size:  555.7 KB

if anyone picked up a pair of skis by grizzly gulch last night w/orange BD poles, they're a friend of mines, and he'd be happy to have them back... 177 Elan Himalayas with radicals and fly low stickers on the tips.

hope he gets them back. that 12"+ rode great this morning. crushed a stonecrusher before work.

Name:  stonecrusher-five.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  nick-stonecrusher-three.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  alta.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  145.3 KB

If anyone comes across a JJ with a Dynafit in Days Fork I owe you a case of beer! Fuck

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    if anyone picked up a pair of skis by grizzly gulch last night w/orange BD poles, they're a friend of mines, and he'd be happy to have them back... 177 Elan Himalayas with radicals and fly low stickers on the tips.
    Some kind soul did find/return these btw, springsproject hoping the same happens for you.

UDOT is doing some artillery testing tomorrow morning on Mt. Superior and possibly above the Town of Alta.

Upper Little Cottonwood Canyon Backcountry will close at midnight tonight through 8:00 am tomorrow 4/29. This closure is from Grizzly Gulch through Monte Cristo Gully.

Thank you,

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by springsproject View Post
    If anyone comes across a JJ with a Dynafit in Days Fork I owe you a case of beer! Fuck
    JJ's with dynafits?
    Wow, that just sounds retarded
    Pre-release?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Benny Hill kinda tour this evening. Started off by chance meeting a local Wasatch hardman athlete by Our Lady of Snow, who was kind enough to agree to tour with us. He (very politely and understandably) left us in the dust after what I will generously call 2/10 of a mile and fuck if my chest still doesn't hurt from trying to keep up.

Visibility was shit when we started and was still shit when we hit Toledo pass. Thought about dropping into Holy Toledo, but the snow seemed just as shit there as on the way up. Still, we hemmed and hawed until the clouds broke so at least we got a little view.

Name:	zpK2kmp.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	181582

Ultimately decided it probably wasn't worth it since upon prodding and inspection the N-facing snow was equally as fucked as what we came up, so we just turned around and skied down the bowl. skiATL seemed to be having a rough time of it, which was odd because normally it's my ski-breaking jong ass who has a rough time of it, and I was managing. About halfway down I noticed and pointed out that he still had 1 skin on

Name:	hTdCWHd.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	686.0 KB 
ID:	181583

The snow was bad, but I had been able to make some things that might pass for turns. I figured he'd probably be fine now. 1.5 turns later:

Name:	MCrpjRc.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	968.9 KB 
ID:	181584

Sorry bro. Made me feel like less of a beater anyway

But if you're looking for that powder from the last 3 days, it is has been replaced with death-trap grabby mush. I would have preferred to ski ice. Still, beats not skiing I suppose...

Lotta visible debris as well (Toledo Chute ripped pretty good it looked like) but it all looked a day old or so, and we encountered no other signs of instability.

Name:	pNAAbVB.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	758.0 KB 
ID:	181585

Nice work gents. Planning to goat around the LCC alpine Saturday, lake peak or something similar. Checked on mirror lake hwy and will keep monitoring, anyone know if western uintas got good SWE?

took a ride at wallyworld early yesterday. shoulda listened to mbillie. looks significantly better than it skied. grabby death trap call spot on. exit was no bueno.

Name:  trees.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  184.5 KB

Name:	reynolds.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	992.8 KB 
ID:	181687

Skied the promised land trees towards guardsman off 10410, some really amazing snow through the trees, anything exposed was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Skied the promised land trees towards guardsman off 10410, some really amazing snow through the trees, anything exposed was terrible.
    This is what I've been getting as well. Lots of windloading up high yesterday from those east winds too.

^ yeah windloading up high on Baldy was pretty intense. also met the guy going for 2.5 mil vert Aaron Rice, he was a nice dude. I guess he did 3 more laps after we left though

wind notwithstanding it skied alright, coverage is still great at least

Name:	NV8VWv8.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	181842

UDOT will be testing explosive avalanche control equipment in LCC, Hwy 210, along the South Ridge of Superior, Wed. 5/4/16, between 7am and 8am. No road closures are planned. Touring parties should stay clear of the South Ridge of Superior during this time.

Name:	HHemKlT.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	762.3 KB 
ID:	182027

Snowing at Brighton, didn't ski half bad either

Taking the day off work tomorrow and normal ski partners can't make it out. Anyone want to go out for a good day tomorrow morning? Was thinking tanners and other fun steep stuff...also open to other suggestions. Shoot me a pm

Went speed flying in Tanners on 13th and ski conditions where pretty ugly with avalanche debris , would recommend choosing another line.
    Best
    Gary Begley

Quote Originally Posted by gary begley View Post
    Went speed flying in Tanners on 13th and ski conditions where pretty ugly with avalanche debris , would recommend choosing another line.
    Best
    Gary Begley
    Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just hit wolverine or baldy

Snuck out to Alta at lunch, hiked up Collins, came down about 12:30 or so. Above the angle station was absolutely perfect corn, wish I could have taken more time to poke around. A bit mushier down low. Coverage was continuous until about 25' from the parking lot. Weather was very nice. I bet ~10am would be the sweet spot. Coverage still very good in the Baldy chutes, a good bit of noticeable slide activity on most of that steeper stuff.

Name:	QovGBbN.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	182843