ARP Wave Therapy

Anyone heard of it, know anyone who's tried it or have any personal experience?

I just read about it in this story about Aubrey Huff.
    http://www.stack.com/2015/10/29/excl...edium=referral

ARP = Accelerated Recovery Performance

It uses direct current to stimulate healing and increase range of motion and that's probably a lousy description.

Some amazing claims of being able to avoid surgeries entirely and making Tommy Johns obsolete certainly caught my attention.

http://arpwave.com/index.html

http://www.complaintslist.com/health...rpwave-clinic/
    Unquestionably the best for of therapy in existence today. Fox Sports Dallas just dd a feature story on the ARP Waves ability to eliminate the need for Tommy John surgery. To date, the clinic in Dallas has eliminated 50 cases, and Boston Globe picked up the story. My son had a torn labrum, and we spent $1,800 for 10 sessions. End of 10 sessions, labrum healed and he played in the following game, CLEARED by the school doc. I have done my research, especially when it came to my sons health, talked to the parents in McKinney Texas, Copell TX, allraved at the success it had on their kids and how PT failed the, PT failed my son miserably. PT is NOT the answer, ARP Wave is. Really surprised at negative feedback. Every parent i know will put their child through it again without a second thought. By far, it has no equals. Sorry you others had a bad experience.
    http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/i...?topic=55933.0
    I am a certified ARPwave therapist based in (of all places) Little Rock, AR. I have been using this for nearly 5 years now and I have seen results that were nothing short of miraculous. I won't go into all that just now though as I want to address some of the comments made about the system.

I don't think that they do the rehab program via online consultation anymore because of results like those quoted above. Having done these programs to myself and on others, I don't see how anyone could get consistent results with no prior experience having someone "guide" you through the process. I'm an experienced user and even I miss sometimes. The first challenge is finding the CORRECT hotspots. After finding them, you have to be properly coached to make sure your body stays in correct position as you execute the movements. Maybe other coaches can do it, but I'm personally not very good unless I am right there with the patient, prompting correct movement by being hands-on.

As for the science of ARP it is really quite simple. Your knees (or other parts) got injured because of weakness and fatigue that create compensation patterns. Where you feel the pain is NOT the source, but traditional medicine always focuses on the pain, which is the symptom. PT treats all ACL tears the same, but with ARP there are occasional similarities, but each person has a different neurological source, and you cannot guess where that is based on an MRI. When you search for the hotspots, the pad that you're moving like a lawnmower over your body is sending a signal to the brain that you are loading that specific area. To the brain, perception is reality, so when you try to load an area that it thinks you can't load, your body immediately tries to compensate, and the signal is very intense.

Back to the sciency stuff... It's all about strength! Your muscle is the ONLY structure in your body responsible for absorbing force. Your joints are hinges. If your muscle cannot absorb force, that force goes somewhere else. Going to PT or getting injections is addressing the structural issues, but does not correct the movement pattern that created the structural problem, so results are most often temporary at best. At worst, when they recur, they are much worse than the original injury. Where your muscle is shut down, you have a lack of nerve supply and blood supply. The ARP modality sends a correct signal at a rate that is 250 times faster than the brain can do it (assuming the brain and muscle are operating at optimal levels). The output is the "load"... Increasing the output is like throwing plates on the bar. You start out at a fairly light load, execute the prescribed movement. After you adapt to that load you increase it and follow that with more reps of the movement, subsequently adapting to each load, thereby accelerating the speed of new motor learning and forcing a tremendous amount of blood supply to the area that is shut down.

Yes, it is electrical. Our nervous systems are electrical, and no other electrical modality in existence uses same type of currents. Most use alternating currents (AC), which are not natural to the body and only serve to increase local blood supply and force a muscle to contract. Those actually worsen the compensation pattern. The ARP system uses direct current (DC), which is the same as our nervous system, so it is more natural to the body. Once your muscle is adequately conditioned and far stronger, it equalizes the tension on your joints by keeping force in the muscles where it belongs, taking the inappropriate pressure off. Most traditional methods don't address that inappropriate load, hence it is like trying to change a tire without jacking up the car.

It is intense, but it is the most effective thing I have ever personally encountered or used on another person. I don't think the business model is a fair representation of the modality itself. They are trying to figure out a system that works... Like throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks. I'm not crazy about the business side myself, but I have NO doubt about the technology and method.

I have had my failures, but I don't blame those on ARP. This has been a very steep learning curve for me, and as I have learned how to coach better and prepare people for the process in general better, I have gotten much more consistent and predictable results.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

I got an in house demo in early Nov from a local practitioner in SLT and we skype'd in the main guy from MN who ran me thru some movements to test certain strengths and give me an idea of what the ARPWave feels like.
    After thinking about it for a few days I decided to pull the trigger and my machine arrived end of Nov.
    I've gotta bad hip that seems to be deteriorating and that was my primary area of concern, though we also addressed my shoulder later on.
    I made twice weekly trips to Zephyr Cove where we sometimes skype'd with MN but not always. We would work on and setup protocols which I then did on my own daily. This was an everyday thing, no days off.
    My hip was slow to respond, I could feel it getting stronger but not much change in my discomfort/pain. My plan was to only keep it for a month, but as that month was running out I decided to extend for one more. After New Years, I exclusively worked with the guy in MN thru skype on my own. The last 3+ weeks we addressed my shoulders as well.
    By the end, my hip felt really good & super strong as did my legs in general. We gotta ton of snow in Jan and a few days I was skiing from 8:30-3:00 straight and my legs didn't really get too tired. It was impressive.
    I paid $1500 ($750/mo) and had to put a $1000 down as a deposit which was promptly refunded after I returned the unit.

Now 2 months later, some of the strength has faded and my hip is feeling sore again. Still better than when I started, but no where near where I was when I finished and had been using the unit daily for 2 months.

I recently came across this article on Ryan Madson who rejuvenated his MLB career thanks to using the ARPWave. He says he still regularly uses his.

I was told my improvements would be long lasting if not permanent, maybe I just needed to use the thing longer or maybe the nature of my aging hip (I'm 52) will require constant use.

There's definitely something here, the cost of the unit vs having a hip replacement is not difficult math, but it ain't cheap either.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

OA in your hip?

Yeah, I would avoid a THR/BHR as long as possible.

If you google the subject you get 4 pages of ads--I didn't have the patience to go any further--without anything resembling a scientific article. If you do a Pubmed search--national library of medicine--nothing. Draw your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you google the subject you get 4 pages of ads--I didn't have the patience to go any further--without anything resembling a scientific article. If you do a Pubmed search--national library of medicine--nothing. Draw your own conclusions.
    DC electrical current running from one pad, trying to search out the other opposite electrical pad. He isolates the pain spot then manipulates with massage.

Massage is just half the solution, unless you have a great massage tech.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My conclusions are based on 2 months trying the unit, not a few minutes of internet time.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    My conclusions are based on 2 months trying the unit, not a few minutes of internet time.
    You are not a controlled trial. But what the hell ... right? If you're convinced it's working for you then why even hesistate buying the thing?

Cuz it cost 15K. Ouch. Still cheaper than a new hip or 2.