My feet are cold..

Do those shoe covers work? How about for hands?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Do those shoe covers work? How about for hands?
    Yes they do but I'd recommend getting some wool socks too. I like the Woolie Boolies from DeFeet. Great winter socks.

I have a few different pairs of gloves depending on the temp and conditions.

I can't get my shoe covers over my mtb shoes, so make sure they are specific for mtb shoes. They do work nicely though. With wool socks and my road shoe covers my feet stay comfortable into the 20s.

One problem with mtb shoes is you have a big metal cleat under your foot which does not help things. I got some of those 45nrth boots off a friend for cheap, otherwise I would just put on some cheap flat pedals and wear warmer boots.

For cold hands I would suggest wearing warmer gloves. Those bar end cover things seem like a good idea for super extreme cold biking.

Pogies for the bars.

The feet can be a biatch. My shoes are all vents. I use the pearl izumi covers and they have sufficed. I think a toe warmer could be a good thing also. The 45nrth seem like the best option.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage....UM_SUB=2974-13

These are really nice biking shoes.

Shoe covers?
    Cmon T-man
    They're called 'booties'!
    And I love them, thick neoprene for the coldest days and the thin ones for days in the 40's
    They make specific ones for MTB, more rugged sole, they will break down if you walk a lot, so keep it klean!
    crab in my shoe mouth

If it is wet and cold, I use neoprene socks. Dry and cold- a vapor barrier liner, which can be as low-tech as a bread bag over the wool socks.

Check these out, waterproof wool socks.

http://www.sealskinz.com/US/socks/th...le-length-sock

Way more comfortable than neoprene.

Save up (or splurge now) and get some dedicated winter riding shoes. Especially if you (and it looks as if you do) live somewhere with lots of cold/snow and want to keep riding through the winter.

Well worth the $$$ vs. dealing with booties and whatnot.

Spent $165 on some Shimano winter shoes that are now going into their third winter. A medium weight wool sock inside keeps me good for 2-3 hours into the teens. Longer/colder with another thin sock layer, or adding a heat pack under the arch flap bit. They are also waterproof so long as not stepping into over ~5" or so.

Or flat pedals and Sorels or the like.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    If it is wet and cold, I use neoprene socks. Dry and cold- a vapor barrier liner, which can be as low-tech as a bread bag over the wool socks.
    Fold and seal sandwich bags over the toes and ball of foot if using clipless pedals. Platforms with oversize hikers and thick wool sock also.

Keen waterproof lightly insulated boots and flats with for real pins. Good to the low teens. Gloves/mittens/pogies for temps high/>/low. Or you could keep spending on bike specific shoes with a steel heat sink underfoot and see if you're lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Keen waterproof lightly insulated boots and flats with for real pins. Good to the low teens. Gloves/mittens/pogies for temps high/>/low. Or you could keep spending on bike specific shoes with a steel heat sink underfoot and see if you're lucky...
    It's a compromise for me. Yeah flats,/boots would be warmer, but I dislike (for me) flat pedals.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Warm and comfy wins for me. I had to give up on clipless years ago, my ankles were unhappy

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post

Touché
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post

You are totally right. Sometimes, I just beat off through the heat burn and repeat that mantra in my head. Who the fuck needs lotion anyway?

Neoprene booties are great. Cheap, don't have to buy a second pair of shoes, don't have to cram thick socks in your good fitting shoes, fast to put on, etc. On one of my bikes the right one squeeks as it passes the crankarm. Can't decide if it bugs me or makes me laugh.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

neoprene booties because of the wind.

Thick socks make perfect fitting shoes suck.

Off road, i just switch to my full leather cleats.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel