Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best records to hear on vinyl?

What do you got? So far form me Dylan (old Dylan), and the Beatles.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Live at the Fillmore East
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Let It Flow
    Led Zeppelin I
    John Barleycorn Must Die
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
    Harvest
    Any '70s Steely Dan
    Any Steve Miller
    CCR
    Basically, anything you like from the '60s and '70s that was mastered in analog and you've only heard on CD or other digital media.
    Make sure you buy in decent shape and clean them with something like thishttp://www.spincleanrecordwasher.com/

Santana Abraxas - unbelievably better sound than the digital remaster.

Ha. Ha... I'm doing it backwards, I think. Just digitized all those albums, and the Doors, Absolutely Live
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

This is a stupid thread.

[Insert favorite album recorded pre-digital]
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    This is a stupid thread.

No posters under age 50

Anything in quadraphonic, maaaaaaaaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Best records to hear on vinyl?

In general vinyl sounds better because of better/more headroom. Pre digital vinyl could still suck if they happened to compress the living shit out of it like almost all modern music.

I love everything written in this thread!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Genesis
    Fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Lou Reed - "Metal Machine Music" -- especially disc two, where you can really appreciate the subtleties of the compositions when played back on vinyl.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    This is a stupid thread.
    Or...

Listening on vinyl is a difference experience from listening to digital, not just because of sound quality issues.

There was something more to sequencing an album when there were multiple sides. For instance, the second side of "Abbey Road". Multi-disc releases add even more complexity to the sequencing equation, since there are more opportunities to group things. There's something "involved" about getting up to flip the record, and sitting back down for side 2. It makes you more conscious of the structure. I think it also made listening to music a more active activity, and less of a background noise generator.

The digital version of albums, first on CDs, and even moreso on MP3 players, take away the obvious breaks between sides, and can blur together some of the thematic goals set by the artist. This isn't a necessarily a problem for single-heavy, radio-focused music where no track has any connection to any other track, but for "concept albums", it's an important element.

None of that, of course, addresses the differences in sound quality or "warmth" or whatever. Given the choice, I'll take good vinyl on a good system, any day, over the digital counterpart.

My own favorite thing to listen to on vinyl is my parents' copy of Nat King Cole's Christmas Album ("The Christmas Song"), because it sounds like my Christmas memories for as far back as I can remember. The cracks and pops are right where I expect them, and it's a very personal thing - like an aural analogue to my grandmother's cooking. Is it a great album to listen to on vinyl in an absolute sense? No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    No posters under age 50
    Ummmm I'm under 50..

Blunderbuss sounds way better on vinyl.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Jesus freakin christ people. you listen to vnyl so you'll have something to clean the seeds on. Like. Duh.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Fuck off.

I could've rolled out King Crimson 'larks tongues in aspic'

El Chup.: Good call. I couldn't even imagine listening to the White Light White Heat album (especially "The Gift") digitallized. I will change that to my numero uno

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Genesis
    ....fuck..... Phil Collins no longer retired

Look what you've done now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I would say that I prefer most albums on vinyl and purchase new music as well on vinyl, Tame Impala is good.

Pink Floyd -Wish You Were Here, comes to mind as being exceptional on vinyl

-but what makes a bigger difference imo is the pre amp, amp, and speakers, I have a Carver C-4000 with Sonic Holography and tied to a monster Carver amp and Acoustic Research ar10pi speakers.
    Sonic Holography is fucking crazy, it sounds like the music is inside your head!
    -there are some awesome videos on youtube of Bob Carver describing it from the early 80's

If you are going to listen to music from 30+ years ago I think it sounds best on gear from the same era
    -but that's like my opinion man, yours may be different

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ....fuck..... Phil Collins no longer retired

Look what you've done now.
    Not my fault, I swear

Just got back from a weekend of Tide football in Tuscaloosa,AL.
    Friend of a friend owns a brewery, and all they have is a record player with a huge bin of records. You pick the record, and the bartender throws it on. It sounded amazing. Led Zep III was the winner though. I haven't listened to that album in so long.

Totally made me want to break out my record player and break out the bin of about 40 records that I own. I am also growing out my beard, buying a beanie to wear on the hottest days, and stocking up on ironic T's and skinny jeans. Gateway drug.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    No posters under age 50
    You're forgetting that vinyl is hip as fuck again, there are plenty of artists that record on tape these days

this sounds yummy on vinyl, a lot jazz instrumentals between the hip hop. Herbie Hancock is currently working with him on a collab album.

My old man has a Stephen Stills, Al Kooper, and mike Bloomfield: super session. The album is amazing. Dark side, Zep 1-4,

Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    My old man has a Stephen Stills, Al Kooper, and mike Bloomfield: super session. The album is amazing. Dark side, Zep 1-4,
    Basically my iPod...

So I really am digitizing my albums, saving money and so I can have them in the car. Using "Audacity" software and a turntable with a USB output. Is this sacrilegious or will it actually be my vinyl, but through Apple device... anyone know?