Dark Side of the Moon
    Let It Flow
    Led Zeppelin I
    John Barleycorn Must Die
    All great choices
    Hendrix Band of Gypsys
    Return to Forever Romantic Warrior
    Miles Davis Four & More

Nothing better than smoking a joint putting on the headphones and listening to dark side of the moon then you're mom knocking on your door for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    All great choices
    Hendrix Band of Gypsys
    Return to Forever Romantic Warrior
    Miles Davis Four & More

Nothing better than smoking a joint putting on the headphones and listening to dark side of the moon then you're mom knocking on your door for dinner
    Clearly not 50 (at least I f'n hope not!), but good taste in music.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Basically my iPod...

So I really am digitizing my albums, saving money and so I can have them in the car. Using "Audacity" software and a turntable with a USB output. Is this sacrilegious or will it actually be my vinyl, but through Apple device... anyone know?
    Ok for the car but at home the vinyl sounds so much better no comparison

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Clearly not 50 (at least I f'n hope not!), but good taste in music.
    I'm reminiscing 1978

Ahhh, ok... Was there, too then
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

For me the sound quality on well recorded and converted digital is great but not cheap. Cheap vinyl usually sounds better than cheap dacs. I almost always prefer the original mix over remastered discs, especially albums I listened to in the day.

I <3 this thread. <-Do the kids still say that?

Not mentioned so far: Kind Of Blue - Miles. So fucking great.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    -but what makes a bigger difference imo is the pre amp, amp, and speakers, I have a Carver C-4000 with Sonic Holography and tied to a monster Carver amp and Acoustic Research ar10pi speakers.
    Nice set-up!

Surprised Austin has not posted yet in this thread. Dude has an insane sound system, very high end, and his vinyl collection is incredible. I was too drunk to remember what all he was playing the last time I was at his place, Miles Davis maybe ? I know he played some Pink Floyd. His speakers melted my face.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Elo
    Al dimiola
    Rush
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Fyi, a good site to verify if your vinyl really sounds good or better than digital...

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

I'm just happy that I didn't miss the bus on vinyl. Vinyls end might have been at the beginning of my life, but how is it that it's such a far superior medium for music?

Another album my old man has which I know is responsible for blowing out a few speakers is Steppenwolf Live. It's a 5 vinyl album, that is just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    I'm just happy that I didn't miss the bus on vinyl. Vinyls end might have been at the beginning of my life, but how is it that it's such a far superior medium for music?
    because 1) it's an analog format and sound is analog 2) it's lossless (as long as it's not mastered from digital) and 3) larger dynamic range (again if not mastered from digital). older records generally sound better because of lack of "loudness war" messing with the sound.

And for my first ever vinyl purchase.

FKNA 30:09 daaaang

So funky
    Last edited by Tuckerman; 10-30-2015 at 07:20 AM.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Helped a friend on his paper route so I could save up enough to have bus fare to Caldors dept. store to buy my first non 45 record (I still have it)...

Basically every new release i have bought since I got my record player as a Christmas gift from my wife is vinyl.
    Favorites:
    Ghost - infestissumam ( spelling?) Because it sounds so 70ish
    Rage against ... Their self titled debut.( one of the few albums where even I think I can hear the difference)
    The revival tour 2011 (my favorite folk-flannell shirt punk rock singer songwriter album).
    Baroness yellow / green (their warm sound is just better on vinyl)
    And I got into vinyl in my 20s 12 years ago when mp3s were the next big thing and all hipsters shouted: death to physically acquired music!"
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

This

or this will be next, I think..
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Thinking about making the jump (back) to vinyl.

Turntable rec's? New? Craigslist?

For reference, rest of system is Rotel receiver, B&W speakers and sub.

Listen to alot of Neil fucking Young.

The whole vinyl sound thing is kind of a ridiculous myth. If you want to hear what the music actually sounds like you listen in digital with digital playback--the sound difference you're hearing in vinyl is the limitation of the format. The music actually sounds like what you hear on good digital, not any sort of vinyl (whether recorded in analogue or not). Neil Young doesn't know WTF he's talking about when it comes to this.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Thinking about making the jump (back) to vinyl.

Turntable rec's? New? Craigslist?

For reference, rest of system is Rotel receiver, B&W speakers and sub.

Listen to alot of Neil fucking Young.

Need to know if your receiver has a phono preamp, if so then probably try and score used with a good cartridge. If no preamp, then maybe new, or will have to find a table with a built in preamp.

Don't think you need to get too snobby with a table, cartridge matters as much as the table.

Right or wrong I like straight tone arms, and if you play your shit loud, belt drive can help with rumble.

Best records to hear on vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    The whole vinyl sound thing is kind of a ridiculous myth. If you want to hear what the music actually sounds like you listen in digital with digital playback--the sound difference you're hearing in vinyl is the limitation of the format. The music actually sounds like what you hear on good digital, not any sort of vinyl (whether recorded in analogue or not). Neil Young doesn't know WTF he's talking about when it comes to this.
    Ehh no. Just... no.

"Vinyl is the only consumer playback format we have that's fully analog and fully lossless," Gonsalves said. "You just need a decent turntable with a decent needle on it and you're going to enjoy a full-fidelity listening experience. It's a little bit more idiot-proof and a little bit less technical."

The analog format allows for artists to transport their music from magnetic tape to LP to your speakers or headphones without the complications of digital conversion. This, ideally, is the closest one can get to what the artist intended — if the artist recorded on tape and sent the reels over to an engineer like Gonsalves to cut a lacquer master from. But whether its origins are digital or analog (more on this later), a vinyl disc should have more musical information than an MP3 file — so it should be an improvement on streaming sites such as YouTube or SoundCloud, especially on a good system."
    http://www.oregonlive.com/music/inde...nd_better.html

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I listen to DiMeola on vinyl at least once a week.

Joni's Hejira immediately comes to mind. Jaco = auditory bliss.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post

This is a joke right? Vinyl is the closest thing to actually being in the studio with the band. Its a physical copy of the actual sound waves being recorded.

Live music heard with your own ears = blower pow
    Vinyl = really great afternoon pow
    Digital = yellow man made bullshit ice "snow" found in the Poconos

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    This is a joke right? Vinyl is the closest thing to actually being in the studio with the band. Its a physical copy of the actual sound waves being recorded.

Live music heard with your own ears = blower pow
    Vinyl = really great afternoon pow
    Digital = yellow man made bullshit ice "snow" found in the Poconos
    Umm, not even close. If you want to hear what the source recording sounds like (whether analogue tape or something digital), you listen on digital. I know the theory is that you're hearing the actual sound waves because of how vinyl records, which you are in one sense, but there is a reason records have to be mastered specifically for vinyl--it's to address the inherent limitations of the medium (vinyl always has issues reproducing low bass sounds and records are always mastered to address that limitation--very high frequencies also are lost on vinyl without remastering, which of course means you're actually not hearing what was recorded). Vinyl itself is not the actual wave and can only approximate it to some degree--very accurately in some registers, not accurately (or not at all) in others. Speak with a sound engineer or someone who works mastering records who understands this if you want to really figure it out--there is no better reproduction of what you hear in the studio than a quality digital recording.

http://diffuser.fm/do-cds-actually-s...er-than-vinyl/
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Ehh no. Just... no.
    Ehh, yes. Just yes. You may 'prefer' the altered sound you get from vinyl, but it's a less accurate reproduction by any objective measure. If you're used to hearing the more limited sonic range of vinyl then you think that that's how the music 'should' sound, but you're not actually hearing the music in that case, you're hearing the limited reproduction.
    [quote][//quote]

I only listen to gluten free, artisanal, free range, organic, free market, cloud based, pan sexual, pejorative free with extra brightener, locavoristical, virgin, backcountry vinyl like
    Inner Mounting Flame, Bird of Fire (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
    Bad Company (eponymous)
    Brave New World (Steve Miller Band)
    Aorta (eponymous)
    Here and Now 1977 (Gong)
    Larks Tongue In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black (King Crimson)
    Uncle Meat (FZ)
    Iron Man (Eric Dolphy)
    Iron Man (Black Sabbath)
    Dancing In Your Head (Ornette Colman)
    Spectrum (Billy Cobham)
    Naturally (JJ Cale)
    Lost In The Ozone (Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen)
    Kiln House (Fleetwood Mack)
    Cosmic Slop (Funkadelic)
    Bitches Brew/LIve Evil (Miles Davis)

etc.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<