Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    sorry to hear about all this spenc
    hoping it all works out ok for ya

If the engine was running OK when it got turned off, it should be fine if they can purge the fuel lines & filter - Especially if it's one of the indirect injection diesels Mercedes put in Sprinters.
    Depending on the engine, there's sometimes a bone easy way to purge air/water/bad fuel already designed into the fuel system.

tl;dr: All the shop can do is get the gas out and crank it up with diesel. Since the engine was running, it probably isn't broken.

The van lives. Pain in the ass for the shop- and $980 later (including tow) back on the road.
    Concern is still high pressure fuel pump and injectors down the road. Runs like like a top for now.

Looking at 4 x 4 transit order for 51.5k 3-4 month lead time, before Sprinter probs develop.
    Life and business go on!

Thanks for all comments and concerns!

Employee not fired, but memo placed in his dossier.

Fwiw after a little research, it looks like under max load fuel delivery about 21,000 psi at the rail! So crazy!

It sounds like it is going to work out as it should.
    We had a moron put multiple jerry cans of gas into a bobcat skid steer that kept running worse and worse. Finally someone saw what he was doing. It worked fine once drained. Of course he kept the job as he was the company owner.

Just a thought, why didnt the industry make incompatible fuel handles for diesel and gasoline? Square and round or oval and round tubes would have been so much smarter.

My friend who works at Infinity let her little brother (then 15 back in 2009) fill the G35 to learn and he put diesel in the tank and hosed it. Luckily the guys at work fixed her car for free.

Gas in a diesel- RIP my Sprinter?

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Just a thought, why didnt the industry make incompatible fuel handles for diesel and gasoline? Square and round or oval and round tubes would have been so much smarter.
    Someone probably correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like in Italy at least they do have different diameters - nothing to stop putting the small dispenser in the big hole but other way around doesn't work.

Memory a bit foggy on details but the EUR50 I lost still stings from way back when the euro was really strong.
    I recall trying to fuel up in Italy to return a rental near an airport. One fricken gas station miles away in some dinky town, Sunday so not a person in sight, no credit card convenience of course just a damn cash stealing machine. Pumps fire up, pull incompatible handle cos the green/yellow/black all reversed over there, realize my mistake cos it doesn't fit, put it back in and everything switches off again never to see that crisp clean bill ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Someone probably correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like in Italy at least they do have different diameters - nothing to stop putting the small dispenser in the big hole but other way around doesn't work.
    In the States, there are two different diameters. The problem is that the most damaging case is when the small (gas) nozzle goes in the larger (diesel) hole. Back before they had specific receiver holes on truck, my dad filled up his gas truck with diesel and made it about 1/4 mile down the road before the truck stopped running. In his defense, the garage had switched the pumps around and the pump he always used was changed to a diesel pump. They drained his truck down and refilled it with gas and everything was fine

I have a 1952 Dodge pickup with about a 3" gas port. Everyone asks if it is a diesel, and they are surprised when I say it is a gasser. It is a military truck, and the military had a big stencil saying "Gasoline only". This truck will burn about anything. I pour my old two stroke premix in the tank and it runs just fine as long as it is diluted with a full tank. If you have an old truck with no catalytic converter, you can buy gas/diesel mixes like this for cheap from garages

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    If you have an old truck with no catalytic converter, you can buy gas/diesel mixes like this for cheap from garages
    Good to know!

The 22R in my Toyota runs premix just fine.... Ask me how I know...
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    The 22R in my Toyota runs premix just fine.... Ask me how I know...
    Do tell...