Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gas in a diesel- RIP my Sprinter?

Just posted in the Fishshows thread about Sprinter as a daily driver last week.

Well, today my newest employee put 24.5 gallons of gas in my Sprinter, then drove it about
    a 1/4 mile.

Now towed to shop, pump out and dispose of said 24.5 gallons of Gas/Diesel mix (tank holds 26 gallons.)

Odds on motor working again? 2006 T1N, 220k on the clock, ran as strong as the day I bought it-
    integral to business operations.

Ironically, just traded in a Duramax for an Eco-boost Ford Transit Van and was worried I would put
    diesel in the gasser!

Don't worry, cross posted to Sprinter-Source.com

A friend did that once to his in-laws' car in Austria, and it worked fine afterward.

This happened once to our Hotshot Crew carriers (international 5500 engines) on a project fire. Fuel guy was sniffing glue, but quickly realized his error. He was able to pump out the gas and all was good.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    then drove it about
    a 1/4 mile.

Now towed to shop
    Why was it towed? Did he realize his fuckup and shut it down? Or did the engine stop running? If the former, good chance of a good outcome. If the latter, best o' luck to ya, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Why was it towed? Did he realize his fuckup and shut it down? Or did the engine stop running? If the former, good chance of a good outcome. If the latter, best o' luck to ya, bro.
    Reached destination, then called me. I called tow truck, my mechanic is of course, not optimistic.

Its a work truck, and given that I just bought a new work truck, well, this isn't on schedule. Also built
    the business from the ground up in 2007 with this van, so will be sad to let it go, but need to figure the end
    game most importantly- replacements are 40-50k

Got it. Only 1/4 mile = maybe ran on diesel fuel in the line. Problem is that diesel pump and injectors are designed to be lubricated by diesel fuel.

Better that way over putting diesel in a petrol.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Better that way over putting diesel in a petrol.

Good luck
    Think you've got that backwards. Gas in a diesel: very bad. Diesel in a gas: kinda bad, but not the end of the world.

Hopefully OK, will know more tomorrow, was starting to mis-fire before parking, and yes most concerned about
    injectors and fuel pump- was nearing retirement, but was counting on making it to next summer.

The guy who filled it owns a Ducati and Husaberg, you'd think a motorhead like that would note the
    difference between a diesel and a gasser?

Can only imagine what the drain/disposal will cost- any Jackson mags need burn fuel this fall?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Think you've got that backwards. Gas in a diesel: very bad. Diesel in a gas: kinda bad, but not the end of the world.

Yep. Its the lubricity in the diesel that makes gas so bad. Especially with the super high PSI in the fuel system in modern diesels.

Most likely, the engine is fine if it was still running. If not, it might be worth checking the insurance policy with your business. You can buy a decent used sprinter for less than the cost of a new motor.

Vibes, hope it works out.

If not it's just a thing.
    watch out for snakes

I think it will be fine, and that your mechanic is saying it sounds so bad because he's a mechanic trying to make ends meet in Jackson, WY.

The diesel nozzle doesn't fit in the gas port.

WTF? I've been fired for less. I hope this guy is a super A+ above and beyond employee when it comes to other stuff.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Gas in a diesel- RIP my Sprinter?

WTF? I've been fired for less. I hope this guy is a super A+ above and beyond employee when it comes to other stuff.
    Uhm, right, but a gas nozzle will fit in a diesel port. Which is what happened

I have a feeling when you were a child this toy stumped you pretty good
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1445961074.249439.jpg 
Views:	1152 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	170843
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Ah, learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Uhm, right, but a gas nozzle will fit in a diesel port. Which is what happened
    Did you miss the fact where he was just pointing out to toast (based on toast's comment) that a diesel will not fit in a gas port so the reverse situation of what SG described above is significantly less likely? Reading comp? I mean, Stuck says some stupid shit, but this wasn't really that egregious...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

The biggest problem of putting gasoline in a diesel engine has nothing to do with the lubricity of the fluid. It takes too long for that have any effect on the engine. The problem is that gasoline has a much lower combustion point and the high compression ratio of your diesel engine will ignite the fuel before it's at top dead center causing detonation in the cylinder. This causes things like bent connecting rods and valves. I seriously hope your guy shut that thing off before it happened

In NJ you can't pump your own gas, so one of the teenagers manning the pump at the local station puts gasoline in a friend's MB GL350. His wife got 200' down the road...and a new engine is on order. The gas station's insurance is paying.

It may be worth checking to see if this is covered under vehicle's insurance policy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Theoretically true, but (apparently) where there's a will, there's a way.

If it doesn't fit, spit on it and try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post

Can only imagine what the drain/disposal will cost- any Jackson mags need burn fuel this fall?
    Speaking from experience, an old Ford V-8 will burn that mix without any problem. I have an old F-250 with a carb and it has burned many barrels of mixed fuel. Doing my part for hazmat removal.

A gas jockey put Diesel in the company minivan instead of RUG, I had it towed to a dodge dealer where I let them deal with it, I explained to the station that it wasn't my truck it was a lease and so it all had to be done by the book

consider maybe a gas jockey might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer and who knows what kind of nozzle the maintenance dude ( also not real sharp) put on that pump ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks everybody, you guys and Sprinter-Source both think probably not fatal.

Hope so, tough to schedule 2 crews with only one operating work vehicle.

In my mechanics defense, he has worked on it for the last 200,000 miles, and knows some really
    expensive stuff gets transported a long way in it, so reliability is very important.

Van is cheduled for retirement next summer anyway, just a big inconvenience right now work wise. Plus just laid down $14k on a new van last week.

Regarding the employee- tough call, he's pretty good at the basic skill sets, but like everybody now
    always looking at the phone or texting or worse trying to flirt with the hot gallery girls and interior decorators we work
    with.

sorry to hear about all this spenc
    hoping it all works out ok for ya