Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hooded Base Layer

Anybody have any recs on a thin hooded base top? Looking for a partial zip or even pullover cool max or blended top. I find these to work great as a base as the hood can be worn under a helmet or pulled over a helmet for some additional warmth touring on the fly. thanks

To this day my all time favorite and almost never ski without it is my Patagonia R1 Hoody... Absolutely love it and use the hood the vast majority of the days I am skiing...

Ibex indie hoody
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

R`1 hoody or similar. I have a balloon sized head so have never tried to get it over an XL helmet and don't have much faith that that would be a good idea. But it's MONEY under a helmet.

Dynafit traverse thermal if you're euro-size

check out the Odlo stuff. Options in synthetic and synth-wool blend.

https://odlo.com/row/en-gb/men/by-type/underwear.html

The mountain equipment one Is easily the best I have seen.

Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hoody for warmer needs. Like an R1 but better 3D hood and better balaclava. Check it out.

For lightweight, the Firstlite Chama hoody is sweet. http://www.firstlite.com/chama-hoody.html More of a hunting oriented brand but they have solid colors and the quality is good compared to the price. I've got a few of their pieces and really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Anybody have any recs on a thin hooded base top? Looking for a partial zip or even pullover cool max or blended top. I find these to work great as a base as the hood can be worn under a helmet or pulled over a helmet for some additional warmth touring on the fly. thanks
    may I recommend our Chill Top (https://trewgear.com/products/detail...ino-chill-top/)? our NuYarn Merino will make you happy and keep you smiling all day.

Enter TGR15 during checkout for 15% off your order. standing discount for all the mags on here....

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Ibex indie hoody
    +1.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

The Patagonia cap4 hoodie is, for me, more useful then the r1.

It's a bit lighter and has a more open grid pattern (polartech power dry high efficiency) that moves moisture really well. I can use it as a base/only layer for temps up into the 40s without sweating out. With the r1 i'd need to wear a thin layer underneath and strip down for skinning during the warmest part of a mid winter day, with the cap4 I can usually stay comfortable with on the fly adjustments.

Black Diamond Coefficient (full zip though) has been awesome for me for several seasons now.

Armada rotor base layers are awesome. Thin, comfortable, and super warm.

I have two of them and they are nearly my favorite baselayer, of course after the merino wool ninja suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Mountain Equipment Eclipse Hoody for warmer needs. Like an R1 but better 3D hood and better balaclava.
    +1

I had the R1 hoody and replaced it with the ME Eclipse.

Hooded Base Layer

The ME Eclipse is even warmer than the R1 isn't it? I sometimes find the R1 too warm, even though I want the hood on the lift.

I also have a Mec T2 Hoody which is even cooler than the Cap4 hoody. The hood isn't balaclava style like the R1 though. I generally use that one if I want hood protection when touring. However, the Ferrosi hood is usually good enough too. A headband is also nice to have. Hoods can often be too warm on the up, but you still want ear protection.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 10-26-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The ME Eclipse is even warmer than the R1 isn't it? I sometimes find the R1 too warm, even though I want the hood on the lift.

I also have a Mec T2 Hoody which is even cooler than the Cap4 hoody. The hood isn't balaclava style like the R1 though. I generally use that one if I want hood protection when touring. However, the Ferrosi hood is usually good enough too. A headband is also nice to have. Hoods can often be too warm on the up, but you still want ear protection.
    It's thinner and more breathable. Polartec sued Pontetorto over the fabric that the Eclipse was using because it was similar. I think the Pontetorto version is superior in most ways - stretchier, more breathable and faster drying. Polartec probably thought the same thing, thus they sued Pontetorto.

The newest gen of Eclipse is now Polartec fabric, but closer to the Cap4 in thickness vs the R1. You can probably still find the old version of the Eclipse if call the distributor.

I really dig my Melanzana
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I've been using my First Lite Chama hoody for the last three seasons. They are merino wool and design for keeping smell down for backpack hunting so I picked one up for yurt trips in black. Now I wear it skiing almost every day out and for a lot of other stuff that's not skiing. Has never got that polypropylene funk.

Hooded Base Layer

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    It's thinner and more breathable. Polartec sued Pontetorto over the fabric that the Eclipse was using because it was similar. I think the Pontetorto version is superior in most ways - stretchier, more breathable and faster drying. Polartec probably thought the same thing, thus they sued Pontetorto.

The newest gen of Eclipse is now Polartec fabric, but closer to the Cap4 in thickness vs the R1. You can probably still find the old version of the Eclipse if call the distributor.
    You sure about that? They're claiming Polartec 200 (200 weight). Isn't the R1 only 100 weight?

Picked up a patagonia merino hoody at a sale that I really like, but OP said synthetic.

My new Icebreaker One Sheep Suit just arrived in the mail. One piece hooded Merino base-layer with a drop seat, in black. Can't wait to ski in it. Full Ninja.
    http://ca.icebreaker.com/en/mens-bas...it/102640.html

I have two pairs of the merino M3 MW hoody from patagonia. I don't think they make it anymore but it is my go to base layer. 1/4 zip, merino wool and hooded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    My R1 was thicker than my Eclipse. I got my Eclipse about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffleupagus View Post
    may I recommend our Chill Top (https://trewgear.com/products/detail...ino-chill-top/)? our NuYarn Merino will make you happy and keep you smiling all day.

Enter TGR15 during checkout for 15% off your order. standing discount for all the mags on here....
    That looks nice, and I like Trew stuff, but it needs a long zipper like the R1. That's probably my favorite feature on the R1. I run pretty hot so if I can't unzip I get claustrophobic and not being able to vent drives me nuts. Same reason I can't wear those Melanzanas that everyone loves.

So for that reason, the R1 hoody works best for me.

Thanks for all the input, I will look some of these up and see as well as trying to find where to buy. Basically, last season I started wearing a Mt. bike Enduro helmet for touring as I can wear this helmet on the up and it has so so protection for the down, goggle compatable ect. Here, around Tahoe we tour in rising temps during the day, so having a base layer hood that you can whip over the helmet on the fly, pull off on the fly and stack under a helmet that is snug fitting would be useful. Many times we just tour with a base layer, no mid and a strong soft shell.