Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

best ski swap score?

Yes, its that time of year again. Wander the racks, looking for that hidden gem. What did you guys find this year (or in years past)

mine: salomon race skis, with 916 for $10..... skis are just about dead, but bindings will live again....

I saved a tonne of cash by not buying anything. Such a wicked deal.

the patagonia down sweater that my girlfriend bought for herself, didnt fit right, its mine now

So many deals at the BD swap in SLC. Best that I can remember in Brand spankin' new Spats, underlined, signed by the Saucer boy himself for $300.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    So many deals at the BD swap in SLC. Best that I can remember in Brand spankin' new Spats, underlined, signed by the Saucer boy himself for $300.
    Saw a guy get this year's G3 carbon xenoxide 93s in a 185 with Ions for $300 and was pretty fuckin jealous...

Moved to Tahoe in 92. Went to the Truckee swap and bought a used pair of K2 Extreme 200s for $100.
    Ski'd on 'em for 1 season and then sent 'em back to K2 with a bent tip.
    They were replaced with their 1st cap ski, those green FX Extremes.
    Ski'd on them for a season and the tails delammed, I sent 'em back to K2 and gotta new pair of the gray FXs.
    Swapped those at a shop for a pair of the MSLs which I ski'd on for 2 years before they delammed.
    I sent those back and gotta pair of the K2 Fours which I sold for $300.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Moved to Tahoe in 92. Went to the Truckee swap and bought a used pair of K2 Extreme 200s for $100.
    Ski'd on them for a season and the tails delammed, I sent 'em back to K2 and gotta new pair of the gray FXs.
    Swapped those at a shop for a pair of the MSLs which I ski'd on for 2 years before they delammed.
    Legit.

Scored a pair of surface new life's without bindings (mounted once) for $35. They became my everyday ski as they are super fun.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Living in Whistler in the late 80s. Found a pair of Kastle slaloms with bindings at the dump, so cleaned them up and skied them for the first few weeks of the season before bending the tip. Returned them for warranty, but when the ski shop lost track of them they felt obliged to provided free demoes for most of the season. Then shamelessly abused a range of what were the latest (Atomic, Fischer, Kastle) skis. Finally the skis were found and the warranty denied, but somehow the ski shop took pity on this destitute ski bum and sold me my favourite demoes for $150, which I proceeded to snap on the first morning.

Once bought a pair of low end ski boots for $2 at my local thrift store because they had fairly fresh Intuition liners. Moulded the liners to my then wife's feet/boots, and she skied in them for years.

Not the most epic score but got a full slowboard setup in good condition (board/boots/bindings) for $160 at the JH ski swap this weekend. Didn't see a used pair of skis for under $250. Might just switch to snowboarding full time for the price savings alone.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

$2 pink Scott poles
    Attachment 170790

&

$30 25yo salomon foam skis w/ metal bindings
    Attachment 170791
    Attachment 170792
    Attachment 170793

Around 2000 I scored some Atomic Powder Plus 180s with EssVars for $100. Doesn't seem to be as good of deals these days at the local swap.
    People be like "I paid $500 for skis $250 for bindings so I'll sell them for $700! All edges are intact."

How about regret?

When I first moved to Santa Cruz, I went to the ski swap and I saw some Solomon race stock binding and the seller was S. Schmidt. I thought jeeze wouldnt that be funny?? A month later Im telling the story to the local ski shop guy and he said, yeah Scott lives right up the street and those were def his.

Why did I not buy, why why why??? Im not a fan boi but that would have been cool.

2013 Start Haus Labor Day consignment sale, after the second year of drought in Tahoe. 179 K2 Hellbents with Jester Schizos and gouged bases (but no core shots) for $99. Bought them for the bindings, but figured WTF, drop some ptex into the worst of the base damage and pay a few bucks to get them ground - what's the worst that could happen? Turned out to be a super fun pair of skis that I have no compunction about dragging out in dust on crust conditions, because what's the worst that can happen?

Runner up: Same sale, 194 Legend Pro XXLs with PX12s for $75. They also tuned up nicely. But after I blew out my ACL on them, when I caught the tip in spring mank, I turned them around for $100 because I knew I'd never ski them again.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    $2 pink Scott poles
    Attachment 170790

&

$30 25yo salomon foam skis w/ metal bindings
    Attachment 170791
    Attachment 170792
    Attachment 170793
    I think those could be wood core, they are actually pretty good skis as far as straight skis go.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ht...20core&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    I think those could be wood core, they are actually pretty good skis as far as straight skis go.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ht...20core&f=false
    Thx!
    my $30 is looking like more of a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Thx!
    my $30 is looking like more of a deal!
    I'd tune them up and give them a shot. I remember all the wood core salomons from the 90's being very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    How about regret?

When I first moved to Santa Cruz, I went to the ski swap and I saw some Solomon race stock binding and the seller was S. Schmidt. I thought jeeze wouldnt that be funny?? A month later Im telling the story to the local ski shop guy and he said, yeah Scott lives right up the street and those were def his.

Why did I not buy, why why why??? Im not a fan boi but that would have been cool.
    Ouch!

I found a 60's Snurfer for $15! been a wall hanger for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupski View Post
    Doesn't seem to be as good of deals these days at the local swap.
    People be like "I paid $500 for skis $250 for bindings so I'll sell them for $700! All edges are intact."
    This is what I find these days. Many people seem to think that ski gear does not lose value as long as it hasn't been broken in half. The number of times I've hear people say 'I bought these new for $700 two season ago, so I could sell them for $600' Oh really, with those binding holes in them, top sheet chipping and base wear, they've only lost $100 value from this year's new model that carries a warranty with it?!?

On the other hand, seems like some of you have found some sweet scores.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Curious to see the best powder snowboard on the bay this is it. '94 Burton Kelly 171. I have the 173 and it's monstrous. 300 would be ok and you don't need those crap bindings. Your choices would be Cartel, co2,c60 or Cartel stiff. It's heavy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nos-...4AAOSwyQtV4ySS

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Free pair of Hart Fuelie Boss (SuperBros), brand new. Hart's CFO was at the Breck swap with some skis right after they fired back up, and I chatted him up over the weekend. Really cool cat. Sunday when we're all packing up, he says, "Here, take 'em. Everybody else is too short to ski them. Tell everybody we're back." So I skied the piss out of them for four years till I finally popped a sidewall. The end.

2016 atomic infamous for 175$ means guilt free rail skiing this year

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    This is what I find these days. Many people seem to think that ski gear does not lose value as long as it hasn't been broken in half. The number of times I've hear people say 'I bought these new for $700 two season ago, so I could sell them for $600' Oh really, with those binding holes in them, top sheet chipping and base wear, they've only lost $100 value from this year's new model that carries a warranty with it?!?
    I just assume that the "seller" doesn't really want to. Either they're on the fence about whether to keep or replace, and price the skis based on the delta they're willing to pay to replace, or someone (often a spouse) is insisting that some of those skis have to go. ("Honey, I tried, but no one wanted to buy them. Sorry.")
    not counting days 2016-17

we don't have any true swaps here
    they are all benefits...so 20-30% of the price of sold gear goes to the designated benefit (ski patrol, local HS, etc)
    so you pretty much are donating to a good cause by selling there, NTTAWWT

as a result, you see pricing that's unimpressive
    local shops take their old gear there, but still try to sell it at a insignificant discount so that the charitable take doesn't affect their bottom line

my guess is that less than 10% of the gear at these swaps is actual private sellers selling at what i will call "true swap" pricing

this model of swap isn't really working; maybe you folks in real ski towns have a different setup