Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    18 days post op and finally got ice on it. Ahhhhhhh so nice
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

With the Kevin Durant achilles rupture in his first game back following a month out with a calf strain I'm thinking about my history with achilles tendonitis. I have had it since 2010 when I ran my first and only ultramarathon. I had torn my peroneal tendon months before and didn't know it. Kept training and this led to achilles tendonitis at the insert point that really hit the day of the ultra. I am an idiot and pushed through to finish 50k in a lot of pain. Then I didn't run again for 2 years. The rest did help a lot and skiing was never a problem. But going back to running now always leads to an injury. I think I favor that right leg and that just causes other problems, including sciatica and severe hip pain. Last fall it got so bad I feel like I really should not run at all anymore. I ran for over 50 years and should be satisfied with that but it is an addiction. Watching KD go down has me telling myself that it just isn't worth it to try to do the things that caused it in the first place. I can ski fine and that is the most important thing for me. My running days finally seem to be over for good. But I don't like to say that and it is possible that I will decide to try it again. Please stop me.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Achilles Tendonitis at the Insertion to the Heel

I quit running for different reasons, (lack of cartilage), but the doc said to me: “What do you really like to do?”, and I said “Ski” and he said “Well, let’s keep you skiing.” I really miss it, especially when I’m on the road for work and I can’t just go for a run, but, c’est la vie.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Have you tried speed walking? just remember to adhere strictly to the regulations of the international speedwalking association....

I hear you about the long,slow death of being able to do what you love. I venture to guess that i am one "up hill / push off toes" trail run away from it going. I have found some relief in biking as it really stretches out my Achilles and calf muscle- i just slide my foot further on my pedal if it is too painful at the start. Not sure about you guys, but crocs and chacos have been a life saver during the summer months. Looking at transitioning from running 4-5 days a week to 2-3 and supplement with biking

Bumping this thread.

Curious to hear how this healed htfb, and if you have been skiing this year.

I'm concerned I have a bump growing (no ifs, I do), and I want to take early precautionary measures and work hard to keep this thing from getting to a point of unmanageable pain. I barely have any pain (mostly discomfort) now.

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    Bumping this thread.

Curious to hear how this healed htfb, and if you have been skiing this year.

I'm concerned I have a bump growing (no ifs, I do), and I want to take early precautionary measures and work hard to keep this thing from getting to a point of unmanageable pain. I barely have any pain (mostly discomfort) now.
    Healing went good but slow. Doctor was super slow on adding weight in PT and I was doing single leg calf raises buy Oct of 2019, surgery was April. 2019/2020 ski season was tentative at first, literally did multiple laps on Chickadee but I was feeling pretty good when COVID took it away. Skiing this year has been pretty good other than no snow. Going fast and jumping things feels good. I've dragged knuckles a couple times as well and that was pain free. No pain in it, some numbness in my heel still and my big toe of that foot, which I can't curl after the tendon was removed. My calfs look totally different from behind now but you have to be looking for it. I got back on the skateboard a couple times recently and it felt good, no pain, but I am officially in the old, slow guys club now. TBH I don't really think about it that much, feels good and solid.

Good luck with it man, it can be manageable indefinitely for some people but once you get past a certain point it can really impact all the stuff you like to do. I wish I had done the surgery when the docs first proposed it.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    Healing went good but slow. Doctor was super slow on adding weight in PT and I was doing single leg calf raises buy Oct of 2019, surgery was April. 2019/2020 ski season was tentative at first, literally did multiple laps on Chickadee but I was feeling pretty good when COVID took it away. Skiing this year has been pretty good other than no snow. Going fast and jumping things feels good. I've dragged knuckles a couple times as well and that was pain free. No pain in it, some numbness in my heel still and my big toe of that foot, which I can't curl after the tendon was removed. My calfs look totally different from behind now but you have to be looking for it. I got back on the skateboard a couple times recently and it felt good, no pain, but I am officially in the old, slow guys club now. TBH I don't really think about it that much, feels good and solid.

Good luck with it man, it can be manageable indefinitely for some people but once you get past a certain point it can really impact all the stuff you like to do. I wish I had done the surgery when the docs first proposed it.
    Thanks. I have little to no pain, but I do have a bump. The surface of my skin tender after skiing. I am taking it easy (though not entirely giving up on skiing). It seems ski boots and tight shoes bother me more than activity (again, no pain, and biking is fine). I am stretching a lot more than before. I would like to avoid surgery, unless it is recommended...

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    Thanks. I have little to no pain, but I do have a bump. The surface of my skin tender after skiing. I am taking it easy (though not entirely giving up on skiing). It seems ski boots and tight shoes bother me more than activity (again, no pain, and biking is fine). I am stretching a lot more than before. I would like to avoid surgery, unless it is recommended...
    I haven't read your prior posts so sorry if I missed it...Have you had a doc check you out?

I've got haglunds deformities on both heels from breaking them when I was a teen, followed with years of skiing tight boots and pounding ground in forestry work. Pretty much always some level of discomfort, but in the summer of 2018 my right Achilles started to freaking kill. Wearing boots at work was absolute torture. Once I was home it was slippers & sandals w/o a heel strap. I was developing bursitis around where the tendon attaches to the back of the heel. Very tender to the touch and a constant ache which started to freak me out. I also had a small bump.

I caught it early enough and visited a good podiatrist who prescribed steroids to knock out the inflammation. I could get the bursitis to calm down w/ stretching, icing etc, but it kept coming back.

Finally I took the steroids and they knocked out the bursitis, it hasn't come back since.

I also upsized all my footwear 1/2 size or so & became much more vigilant about buying nice thick wool socks to better protect my feet. Having multiple pairs of nice shoes & boots to switch between is also key now, along with sole/superfeet insoles.

So you might be able to get it under control before it progresses.

I have been dealing with Haglunds bumps on both heals for most of my life and for the most part I never feel them except when I ski tour. Particularly the first ski tour of the year . I had my boots punched behind the heel but I bought new liners and had full on pain and blisters after only 3 hours of touring recently . I hate those bastards.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

surprised this hasn't been mentioned here-
    https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-a...onitis-2696560

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    surprised this hasn't been mentioned here-
    https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-a...onitis-2696560
    good call, that's been the PT I have done on/off for 3 years now.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.