Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Der poopenhausen>wife>couch>speakers>TV
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

That must suck

I used Magnepan MMGWs with a center channel and a nice subwoofer for my current setup. They are on-wall and a bit homely, but the sound is phenomenal.

Great suggestion at $995 for the five speakers BUT he'll need to get a decent amp(s) or spring for a really high end AVR to drive five Maggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    The worst part that he was re-thinking the layout few months afterwards and he was basically fubared with the present layout, no possibility to reposition stuff.
    Bingo. That's precisely one of my biggest cases against in-ceilings. You are absolutely stuck. Plus when you have a corner situation like OP's wife is demanding, it takes a LOT of know how and experience to really plan that one out optimally. And that's the beauty of "normal" speakers; you can EASILY play around with the placements until you get it all dialed in. If OP wasn't dealing with a corner placement, perhaps I wouldn't be quite so adamant against in-ceilings.

OP, I know you say you don't need audiophile sound, but even the layman can understand the difference between crap sound and something halfway decent. What we're trying to say is that for LESS money than your budget, you can get BETTER sound. If you're going to get crap sound, then why even bother spending a grand on new speakers?

Insert obligatory:

Unless you really know what you're doing in regard to proper placement and acoustics, then perhaps you'd be better off going with a high quality sound bar like some of the ones that stearnsn suggested. I've heard especially good things about that particular Martin Logan one he linked to. I've also heard good things about the Arcam Solo http://www.arcam.co.uk/range/solo/solobar.htm
    If you'd be ok with a passive sound bar, which simply means you drive it with your own amp/AVR, the GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array XL is absolutely badass. It does a great job with your front sound stage, providing the best left/center/right imaging I've heard out of a soundbar yet, is pretty sleek looking, and you could mount it right under your TV. Gets high marks in the WAF department. http://www.goldenear.com/products/supercinema3d

Quote Originally Posted by stearnsn View Post
    Great suggestion at $995 for the five speakers BUT he'll need to get a decent amp(s) or spring for a really high end AVR to drive five Maggies.
    You definitely have to pay attention to the amp, but the little MMGWs don't current-suck the way bigger Magneplanars do. I drive mine with a Sony STR-DA2800, which is moderately high-end-ish, and more than adequate for the small room we put them in.

Listen up, the Suit don't buy crap. Usually.

The funniest thing about how this thread turned out is probably that I've read plenty of reviews of in ceiling speakers that all get great reviews, and hundreds of them. This isn't some huge disagreement between my wife and I. She likes a certain couch, and layout for the living room, and I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm content putting the TV in the corner even though it might not be optimal for surround sound. I'll take all the links in to consideration, and the sound bar option. That might be the simplest way to go. Thanks for all the input.

www.tonystreks.com

This is the room. It has high ceilings, concrete floors, bright windows, and is fully open to the kitchen and dining room. It's a long long way from ever being a good home theater room based on the couple of links I've had time to read. Given that, maybe the sound bar is the simple solution.

www.tonystreks.com

Make sure you pre-wire for every possible location you can think of. Take lots of measurements with pictures so that you can locate the wires five years down the road. Now is your chance.

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    This is the room. It has high ceilings, concrete floors, bright windows, and is fully open to the kitchen and dining room. It's a long long way from ever being a good home theater room based on the couple of links I've had time to read. Given that, maybe the sound bar is the simple solution.

Its a very clean construction site.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Its a very clean construction site.
    Well OP and his wife apparently shudder at the thought of having something so unsightly as speakers in the room, so I'm sure that all the workers are required to pick up all their tools and sweep/mop the floors on a scheduled rotation during the construction process.

doesn't everybody just watch movies on a handheld device while taking a dump? Who needs all that in home theater crap?
    I see hydraulic turtles.