Cold/Wet weather riding for the non-lycra crowd

What are people wearing in shitty conditions?

For lift serve, mrs jm2e and I have taken to wearing our 20year old stiff as cardboard gore tex shells over our armor. Nice and bone dry and toasty warm while riding the lift and moves well enough for riding. Wish it was a bit less bulky, but don't want to drop $200 bucks on something that I will crash in over and over again.

Haven't figured out a perfect DH pant for the wet. All the moto pants I've seen have vented fabric in the crotch and across the tailbone area. I'm sure those are nice for hot dry weather, but on a rainy day it still leaves you with a wet diaper.

Just bought a pair of $20 leather moto gloves that will hopefully be my new shitty days glove.

Now, if I could only wear my DH stuff, including FF helmet, on long "enduro" rides (slow uphill for 1+ hrs to long downhills) in shitty weather I'd be a happy camper. Trail helmets are shit in the rain. Haven't found a good pant that's tolerable on long climbs.
    I'm a pussy, and the weather sucks ...... always.
    However many are in a shit ton.

DH in the rain I wear some really heavy old work rain pants, keep you clean and dry but hot. Gloves I just wear whatever and sometimes switch out. I have some thinner work gloves that are a bit warmer than bike gloves but I don't like the feel as much.

Pedalling in the rain I just wear a jacket and everything else the same as if it was dry, maybe pack spare gloves.

Rain cover on the pack is awesome too

Both Fly and Raceface have some water resistant shorts. I own neither, but my wife has some of the Fly ones and likes them.

For pedally rides, I've taken to wearing G-form pads. They're pretty comfy, and seem to provide just the right amount of warmth for cool days. And of course, a bit of added protection is nice.

For actually rainy rides, I've got a Raceface Team Chute jacket that's awesome. It's not as nice (or as expensive) as a nice ski shell, so it's not as waterproof nor as breathable. But I also don't feel as bad about caking it in mud and taking the occasional digger in it.

I have some old Fox insulated / waterproof gloves, but they're pretty warm. I only break them out when it's legitimately cold and shitty out. Otherwise I just bring a spare pair in the pack.

Just rock the spandex like these brave brave men.

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

heh heh.
    That looks like a brilliant dry winter day around here.
    Wonder how they'd be holding up in pissing rain..... assuming they didn't die crossing the bridge.

I've ridden DH plenty in the rain, but it was summer and warm, so we just wore our normal shit. That was years ago, so "normal" would have been cotton everything.

Why not get a cheap rain suit from Walmart? Use the WW pants and the jacket you've been using. Not ideal if it's hot, but I think they'd be fine in colder weather.

As far as climbing, being wet isn't so bad as long as you're comfortable and warm. That's when that stretchy shit can come in handy, love it or hate it. Wool helps, too.
    Last edited by bagtagley; 10-21-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I have an old pair of race face pants that are pretty water resistant and have a cordura face fabric so they don't get shredded. They are kind of hot but bearable on cool, wet rides. Not sure if they still make them though.

Since I sweat like no other regardless the activity, I care less about staying dry, and care more about staying warm. Merino wool close to skin, and some sort of shell to break the wind, then whatever inbetween to insulate.

I ride everyday and end up riding in the rain quite often. I wear REI shell bike pants and Mtn Hardwear rain shell, over appropriate layers. I like having a hood and most bike specific jackets , don't.
    I can hang them up in the garage and eventually the mud just falls off. Laundering your muddy shit everyday is a pita.

I really like my Lake MXZ303 shoes, I hate wet feet.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Just rock the spandex like these brave brave men.

That's bitchin'!

I get not riding the beginning, but fuck ride that shit where the boards are nailed on. I just noticed it's wide enough to walk with your bike next to you...ride the whole damn thing! Especially on a fatty. geez.

Seems like, ride it in the other direction.

Wear the good shit with some baggy trail shorts over... nothing beats the breathability of true cold weather cycling gear and the proper tightness, ass to seat layers....epic distance wet rides pineapple express redwood forest mushroom jousts just lightweight simple parkas on the way up and pack it at the top, bomb it down......

. There is a reason some of those materials are so expensive.

Those fat tire dudes are doing it wrong.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel