Is this movie stupid?

http://www.redbull.tv/videos/AP-1JJ6EJRVS2111/onekotan

guys ski volcano in lake on island in russia. streamable only today, i think.

cool idea but the delivery seems overly dramatic, to the point of absurdity. lots of hype about it around here.

am I way off base?
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

A friend has done Atlasov island last March. This winter probably doing Onekotan. I somehow think it will be more fun, less whining and unnecessary drama.

So, in short, it was somewhat stupid. A lack of proper planning and preparation translated into avoidable difficulties.
    Last edited by muchocacao; 10-20-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: photo, names

Seems to me like they got scammed by Ruskies for the extra rescue expense.

Quote Originally Posted by muchocacao View Post
    A friend has done Atlasov island, Alaid volcano last March. This winter probably doing Onekotan. I somehow think it will be more fun, less whining and unnecessary drama.

So, in short, it was somewhat stupid. A lack of proper planning and preparation translated into avoidable difficulties.
    that is a nice looking volcano.

and yeah, it seemed like they didn't want to be there (especially the austrians), weren't having fun, were oddly surprised about things like wind and humidity close to the ocean and potentially got scammed. some of it was probably redbull pushing for more drama but there does seem to be a rather unfortunate and general lack of humour.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

I found that island on google earth, always wanted to see it. I bet it's wind scoured as fuck though.

So they really paid $20,000 Euros for the round trip boat and then another $20,000 for a helicopter evac?

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    So they really paid $20,000 Euros for the round trip boat and then another $20,000 for a helicopter evac?
    Imagine how much nice heli assisted skiing that can be had for 40K euro?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    Imagine how much nice heli assisted skiing that can be had for 40K euro?
    they could probably make the whole trip via heli for 20k with a proper guide/organizer. they just had to find him beforehand by contacting any Kamchatka heliski operator, they all speak English and are on the internet for more than 10 years.
    Last edited by muchocacao; 10-20-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Is this movie stupid?
    In a word, yes. The voiceover makes it sound like a trailer for itself. I'm not sure who their target audience was, hot chicas who don't ski?

An ill conceived proposition with predictable results.

They didn't need a boat as much as a reliable translator.

Maybe it's a BMW commercial?
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Hurl View Post
    I'm not sure who their target audience was, hot chicas who don't ski?
    do they dig whiny types? or it's it stupid amounts of money flushed down the drain?

The part where the fox dropped a load on the snow summed it up well.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap