Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

But many of the indies still make good, stiff, durable skis - ON3P, Praxis, Folsom, etc.

Unfortunately it's next to impossible to demo these overe here (Norway) Some times you can find some at a demo stand when they run "demo days" at the ski resorts. Problem is that this always happens early December when there is mostly artificial snow. So you only get to try them on icy groomers. Kind of pointless. Very few stores stock them.

In Yurp I'd be taking a hard look at Down and Faction.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    There's nothing you can do about edge compression other than not hit rocks.

Base material from last two years is 4000 base which is twice the hardness of bases before. Had nothing to do with cost. 4000 base dries out much faster. Only skis that get waxed a lot were using 4000 base before (race skis) but supplier came up with a 4000 base that was pre impregnated with wax so that they don't dry out as fast if not waxed.
    Ah, good info. To be clear, my Bonafides are from 3/4 years ago... and while I love them, those bases definitely get beat up a lot easier. I'm fine with waxing my skis all the time - that's much easier than dealing with p-tex candles.

BTW adrenalated... Faction = not durable. At all. Not that you were suggesting that, but figured I'd add my experience. I have like 4-5 days on some CT 3.0's and you'd think I skied a whole season on them.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    [Blizzard] Base material from last two years is 4000 base which is twice the hardness of bases before.
    really? so the whole 2014/15 freeride line had 4000 base material? e.g. the green non carbon tip bodacious and grey/green bull brahma. Thought only this years line had different materials.

I would like to see a Line supernatural 108 in a larger length or something to that tune

2016-2017 Gear Thread

Yeah, Down is a good indie option for Yurp.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    So is that official that they're using the more expensive and durable base material across their entire line? Same stuff ON3P uses?

I have more core shots in my Bonafides than all three of my ON3P skis combined.
    Base depth will still play a role - ON3P has the thickest bases in the industry by a LOT - 50% more for large manufacturers and more than a few indies (Praxis might actually be the only one NOT on that list?). But yeah, 4000 bases should still help a ton with that.

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Cochise fit?
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    really? so the whole 2014/15 freeride line had 4000 base material? e.g. the green non carbon tip bodacious and grey/green bull brahma. Thought only this years line had different materials.

I would like to see a Line supernatural 108 in a larger length or something to that tune
    I completely agree with this as I dig Line skis, but the 186 is just to short for my ass... If you haven't already you may want to look at the 190 Salomon Q-lab... Absolutely love the ski that gets after it and is the first ski from them in a very long time that I have liked...

Regarding Blizzard... Thanks to a heads up on this board I picked up a pair of 193 Gunsmoke from STP and finally have been able to log some hours on it... I was going to get the 191 114 Jeffrey, but just couldn't pass up the deal ($219 shipped)... The Gunsmoke is an absolute blast and any time I can take it out I do... I have logged I don't know how many vertical feet on my Praxis and ON3Ps and put them in conditions I should not have and have minimal to no real scars on the bases... As has been stated here many times both Praxis and ON3Ps put out absolute bomber skis... No way can I say this about my Blizzards... I am floored by how my bases look just after a dozen days and no doubt I will take a harder base and deal with more waxing than what I am dealing with... No way will these Gunsmokes have the longevity that I have experienced with the indies... But the Gunsmoke is truly one of the best fun shaped skis that can still get after that I have been on...

BTW adrenalated... Faction = not durable. At all. Not that you were suggesting that, but figured I'd add my experience. I have like 4-5 days on some CT 3.0's and you'd think I skied a whole season on them.
    That's good to know. I have no direct experience with Faction other than fondling some of their skis a few years ago and thinking that they looked well-built. I would have thought they'd be decent in the durability department, but sounds like that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Base depth will still play a role - ON3P has the thickest bases in the industry by a LOT - 50% more for large manufacturers and more than a few indies (Praxis might actually be the only one NOT on that list?). But yeah, 4000 bases should still help a ton with that.
    Yep. ON3P uses 1.8mm thick bases. Industry standard is 1.2mm, I think. I read in the past that Praxis is using 1.6mm but not positive on that. Real world durability, I've found my Praxis and ON3Ps to be pretty equivalent. I'm not aware of anyone else advertising that they use 1.8mm bases.

That's good to know. I have no direct experience with Faction other than fondling some of their skis a few years ago and thinking that they looked well-built. I would have thought they'd be decent in the durability department, but sounds like that's not the case.

Yep. ON3P uses 1.8mm thick bases. Industry standard is 1.2mm, I think. I read in the past that Praxis is using 1.6mm but not positive on that. Real world durability, I've found my Praxis and ON3Ps to be pretty equivalent. I'm not aware of anyone else advertising that they use 1.8mm bases.
    Yeah, your thickness numbers are correct. Aside from the defunct PM Gear, I'm pretty sure everyone else uses 1.2mm?

2016-2017 Gear Thread

Vapor Float looks pretty cool for a meadow skipper - 117 underfoot and 1400g. A little short/long at 178/189 though. They need a tweener size.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 01-19-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Just wanted to post this photo. The final version will be about 1500g. The one Blister took a photo of was the first sample version. They worked to raeduce weight in a few areas to get them to 1500g (some will probably be below)

I think a lot of Mags will really dig these boots. Demo boots will be circulating the next few months. Fit is nothing like the present Cochise boots, or anything with a walk mode for that matter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1453266266.323579.jpg 
Views:	2417 
Size:	823.4 KB 
ID:	175246

2016-2017 Gear Thread

From heel to toes, the width of the current Cochise shell fits me really well. Instep fits well too. How does this shell compare?

Since all 3 use different plastics, is the current Cochise more similar in flex to the new Cochise or the ZeroG?

Would be stoked to see a non-velcro powerstrap ala Booster/Dynafit... any chance you guys will go in that direction? Velcro sucks and wears out really quickly on touring boots. Had to replace one on my Cochise in less than a year. Works for alpine but thats because its a set and forget it thing. I put the K2 Pinnacle powerstrap buckle on my Cochises and its awesome when compared to the stock powerstrap buckle. Also love the 15/16 Dynafit TLT6 strap that I put on my Backlands. Cochise and ZeroG deserves something thicker though imo.

Is the walk mode mechanism on the new boots the same as the current Cochise? I had to send mine in before the end of last year because it wore out and didn't always lock into ski mode in certain situations (seemed worse on cold days?). Also, slight play develops pretty early, but doesn't seem to affect overall performance. FWIW, I do put a ton of dynamic stress on the spine due to very regular huckage (3-5x 20-30' per day, 3-4 days per week).
    Last edited by Lindahl; 01-19-2016 at 11:28 PM.

2016-2017 Gear Thread

FWIW, I do put a ton of dynamic stress on the spine due to very regular huckage (3-5x 20-30' per day, 3-4 days per week).
    Nice of you to remind us, we had forgotten.

Edited to remove the winky emoji I added to ensure you realized this comment was meant to be light hearted.

Feel strange winking at men over the Internet-so take the comment how you will

Also love the 15/16 Dynafit TLT6 strap that I put on my Backlands. Cochise and ZeroG deserves something thicker though .
    Where did you pick up an extra strap?

Sorry to hear about Jay's experience. IME, Factions are about as durable as a typical mfr, not more or less (I have 2 pairs). Nice skis, ski well, but ON3Ps are just way burlier than average.

^^ It's not a big deal in terms of actually skiing them, but I was surprised at how quickly the top sheet edges started flaking off and chipping away - so I may have exaggerated somewhat. They still seem like nice skis overall.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Nice of you to remind us, we had forgotten.
    Lindahl is an aggressive skier who requires skis that have a 40m+ radius and are a 189 in length. Don't ever forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by brown9 View Post
    Where did you pick up an extra strap?
    I put a pair of '15/'16 Vulcan straps on my older Vulcans, which I got through REI. Called their service department, talked to the shop guy, explained what I wanted, he called Salewa, called me back and said he could order it. Ran $20.

^^ It's not a big deal in terms of actually skiing them, but I was surprised at how quickly the top sheet edges started flaking off and chipping away - so I may have exaggerated somewhat. They still seem like nice skis overall.
    Was an issue with EC4060 and sidewall construction. I think solved now with 8210 but was an issue for not only them...unfortunately.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

2016-2017 Gear Thread

FWIW, I do put a ton of dynamic stress on the spine due to very regular huckage (3-5x 20-30' per day, 3-4 days per week).
    Wow, that's a lot of hucking. From my limited experience hucking off cliffs on AT gear is like you have to multiply the height with the factor 1.3 versus solid alpine equipment. So respect, dude.

New La Sportiva Spectre 2.0 looks good. Tech, step-in and SkiTrab TR2 inserts, grillamid and with wide 102.5mm last.
    Finally something for us wide footed hobbits.

That if the boot comes in smaller sizes like 24.5, that is...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Lindahl is an aggressive skier who requires skis that have a 40m+ radius and are a 189 in length. Don't ever forget that.
    189? That's for children in Lindahl's world. Lindahl Jr would start on a 189 at age 3 and naturally would be hucking 20ft min, multiple times/run.

I AM THE LINDAHL, YOU CAN'T TOUCH ME!

Meathelmet, Spectre & Sparkle are practically identical and I'd bet Sparkle is available in 24.5 Mondo. I am impressed with Spectre 1.0, though I'm not as BADASS as THE LINDAHL.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of hucking. From my limited experience hucking off cliffs on AT gear is like you have to multiply the height with the factor 1.3 versus solid alpine equipment. So respect, dude.
    Aye, get it right Lindahl pal. You're actually hucking 3-5x 26-39' per day, 3-4 days per week. I make that 234-780' of huckage per week. So respect, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Meathelmet, Spectre & Sparkle are practically identical and I'd bet Sparkle is available in 24.5 Mondo.
    My only fear is that they will make the cuff lower, as most of the manufacturers seem to do with the womens boots... Sad panda.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    ...though I'm not as BADASS as THE LINDAHL.
    Duh, more than One Lindahl per solarsystem results in singularity.

{m v^2}{2} = G M m}{r} => Lindahl = \sqrt{2 G M/r}

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Lou Dawson's site had a discussion about a year ago on Sparkle/Spectre, someone in the thread said Sparkle is just "more carved" at the top of the upper cuff's back side. Not sure what that means, might be worth contacting US distributor to check on differences?