Excel help- all files opening as "Read Only"

Make it stop please!!!!

what version? Are these files you created or ones being sent to you? I have noticed this with most Office apps lately...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...3fbfd85?auth=1

Open, save as and see if it is still read only.... Could be the files, your version of Excel, or permissions if they are on a network or some other location....

When the files open does a little note open at the top that allows you to "enable editing" ? If so, click yes. Save as a new file. Either way do 'save as' and that should help.

Not sure if its the same thing but all my excel files open in protected mode. I get a lot of warnings and errors that you have to click off that I wish would go away.

Also, excel always seems to open 2 copies, one window is empty the other has the worksheet I opened.

First world problems, but definitely annoying.

Right click and use drop down menu to open on attachment instead of double left click on attachment. Docs created in different versions excel might cause this.

you can also change security settings (in options) to stop it also. Often excel will open in protected mode in case there are any macros.

I figured out a workaround for now- have to click: file>open> at the bottom I have to click copy, then click the file I want to open.

What a pain in the ass. I just did an update. Running Office 365 on a Mac. I am going to put a call in to them to figure this out. It is driving me mad.

It is every file on my machine, not just ones I created. When I create them, I use .xlsx. Most of the files I receive are .XLSM, since they rely on Macros.

Makes you never want to do updates.

Also it could if on a network or some cloud storage be your permissions for the folder where these are saved. Again if on a network, and it is just an occasional message on a popular file, it could be opened and in use by someone else (but you state ALL files so very unlikely all files are in use by others).

Every .XLSM file on my computer opens this way.

It is maddening. Almost as shitty as the update to Preview that took away my ability to easily mark up PDF files. That was about the time I started questioning the intelligence of Apple. They fucked up the best program on my machine for no discernible reason other than to just change something.

This has been happening to me lately at work for Excel files stored on a Sharepoint. The strange thing is if I use "save as" but just save it with the same name it works. I'm still using an older version of Office. Those who have upgraded to Office 2013 don't seem to have this problem.

If its happening to xlsm files then try changing the security, it's the macros. Having said that office on Mac does strange things sometimes.

AD - don't you have to check documents out on SharePoint?

If its happening to xlsm files then try changing the security, it's the macros
    . How? I'm using windows 10.

I've had the problem also. My best guess had been that its related to my Carbonite backup - maybe when Carbonite is backing up it is 'busy'??? It is a massive pain in the ass.

excel for Mac has always blown. I run a Windows VM strictly for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugach001 View Post
    . How? I'm using windows 10.
    File - options - trust centre - trust centre settings - macro settings.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    excel for Mac has always blown. I run a Windows VM strictly for it.
    Ha. I installed Windows on a Mac for someone for this reason exclusively. Lol.
    Also, thanks everyone else for sharing their Excel knowledge.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    If its happening to xlsm files then try changing the security, it's the macros. Having said that office on Mac does strange things sometimes.

AD - don't you have to check documents out on SharePoint?
    No, it seems automatic now--IF it works. You can click on the file and edit it. No need to check it out.

check the properties of the documents folder or wherever you are pulling docs from. when i updated to win 10 it changed the folder to read only. my guess is if you recently updated to 365 the same thing happened