stretchy tip loops for climbing skins or homebrew alternatives

So I picked up some skins for my new Protests. I've never liked the stretchy tail attachment style though, so was gonna buy a set of tip stretchers from Climbing Skins Direct (who I bought my last few sets of skins from), but their tip stretchers aren't really wide enough for the Protest's tips.
    I've surfed around on all the typical gear retail websites and didn't really find anyone with the tip stretchers even available. Anyone know where I could pick up a pair?
    Barring that, anyone have any homebrew ideas for a secure attachment? I'd really prefer to have the bungee at the tip, but if not i'll have to work with what I can find obviously. Aside from just not liking the tail stretchy attachment, I've found the STS/G3 style just really doesn't work well with twintails.

Thanks ya'll.

IME those old style stretchy tip loops get knocked off the ski, get cut, rot, break or IME just a royal pain in the ass, a caveat would be my couple pairs of dynafit ski/skins that use stretchers at the tip ...the dynafit system works very well

BTW G3 makes tail hooks for twin tips that work really well
    which is
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

XXX'er, and anyone else who's listening.

Yeah ok I understand lots of folks don't like the stretchy tips. Not a newbie here though; I've got plenty experience with skins and skinning. Seems like the industry went the way of the stretchy tail instead of the tip to address a non-existent problem.

So I've never had the problems you mention or at least not too bad.
    I don't find them to be a pain in the ass. Unlike the modern STS/G3 style which I've found to still have all the problems you mention. They fall off twintips and break etc. Plus they get in the way doing kickturns.
    Plus I can't just grab them from the tip instead of having to do some weird yoga move to pull them off.

Again, I'd use the stock STS tail kit if it worked on the Protest, but they realistically don't work that great with twintails.

Is the G3 connector you refer to just the typical little G3 tip grabbers or am I missing something?
    I don't have a ski that will accept the dynafit style tips.

http://ca-store.genuineguidegear.com...kin-tail-clips

The latest tail clip ^^ come stock on G3 skins and IME work pretty good on a fully wrapped tail like my lotus 120's, they don't fall off too much & don't break, if you buy a G3 skin with this hook try it to see if yer happy

http://ca-store.genuineguidegear.com...-connector-kit

Before upgrading to this^^ one made specificaly for TT skis, Slides onto a BD or G3 tail

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/....html#start=16

BTW there are 2 ways to put the metal clips^^ on those BD tail pieces , most people seem to have them trailing out behind the ski but I turn them around so the clip goes on top of the rubber strap which keeps the strap on top the tail of the ski, i think it may also be stronger like that

yeah the dynafit system only works on dynafit skis, IME its really nice and dynafit skins are significant ly lighter than G3 or BD

I supose YMMV but IME the rubber tip stretchers worked OK 15 yrs ago when the skis were skinny but as they got wide I knocked them off way too often whereas I don't with tail leashes

Yoga is good

Agree with XXX-er that the Dynafit skin system is the shit, but you would have to cut a slot in the tip and weatherproof it for it to work. I considered doing this to some W99 Pures once, and scavenged a pair of tip fittings from some Stokes, but decided it would be beyond my capabilities to install them securely (Dynafit ones are inserted when the skis are laid up). My choice for Protests would probably be G3 Alpinists with the Twin Tip kit (second link down) that XXX-er mentions, they work great.

So yeah, the 70mm tip loop from Climbing Skins Direct combined with a basic loop at the tail has been the hands down most secure attachment for me on three different twintip skis. Hardly ever kick 'em off.
    That gigantic fat squarish tip on the Protest isn't gonna accept that tip loop though . . .
    Any attachment with the stretchy bit at the tail was ALWAYS problematic for me, at least with twintips.
    That G3 twintip attachment might be pretty doable. I'd just prefer the tip stretchy.

BTW gregL I got a hot tip for fixing those rubber Dynafit stretchers, they cost 15$ each, worse is that they are usually hard to source when you want em but all you really need is a 2 & 1/2 inch aluminium roofing nail and some 3mm bungy

To make the rod cut the head off the nail and it will clip perfectly in the slot in the Dynafit skin tip

To make your bungy the right size just make a loop big enough to put yer finger in and tie a big overhand knot that will not pull thru the slot in the ski tip, heat seal the ends with a lighter,

put the nail thru the loop and into the skin tip holder ... you got an instant fix for a couple of bucks

I agree that the G3 method would be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Giant View Post
    So yeah, the 70mm tip loop from Climbing Skins Direct combined with a basic loop at the tail has been the hands down most secure attachment for me on three different twintip skis. Hardly ever kick 'em off.
    That gigantic fat squarish tip on the Protest isn't gonna accept that tip loop though . . .
    Any attachment with the stretchy bit at the tail was ALWAYS problematic for me, at least with twintips.
    That G3 twintip attachment might be pretty doable. I'd just prefer the tip stretchy.
    never seen it done that way but I don't see why you couldn't just mount this stuff all backasswards with the G3 TT attachment on the tip and a plain steel loop on the tail especialy since you are making your own anyhow with CSD skin ?

get out a dremel and embrace the beauty of stretchy tip skins..

http://www.skimolife.com/journal/201...hment-mod.html

I don't think I'm man enough to cut notches in my skis. Dynafit system does look nice though.

Think i'ma gonna pick up the G3 twintip connectors and see how it goes. Prob set em up "backasswards" too!