Page 125 of 304 FirstFirst ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 7597

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

I can't believe that it took me this many years to realize that I can freeze, and cook frozen, my own hamburgers. 5 oz burger, 3.5 to 4 minutes per side, plus cheese melting time on a medium temp preheated grill. Better than a Bubba Burger. Not as good as fresh, but great 'i don't know what to cook for dinner in a hurry' meals. And way better than the old-fashioned wafer thin IQF burgers that of course one cooks from frozen. I just never realized a regular old burger worked just as well. Better late than never. I used to thaw them out first.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    The seasoning on that pan is epic. I have the same one that is getting close, and a smaller de Buyer that I don't use enough and the seasoning sucks ass...so I don't use it...and so on.

Those pans have been such a surprise. They're just the lodge carbon steel ones (although I do have a debuyer crepe paper that is as smooth and nonstick as the newest Teflon pans) but the seasoning, after cooking regularly in them for a couple years, is awesome. I almost never use either of my nice copper clad skillets anymore cuz these 2 lodge ones are so good. They're both smooth and seasoned enough to do omelettes or crepes with no sticking.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Those pans have been such a surprise. They're just the lodge carbon steel ones (although I do have a debuyer crepe paper that is as smooth and nonstick as the newest Teflon pans) but the seasoning, after cooking regularly in them for a couple years, is awesome. I almost never use either of my nice copper clad skillets anymore cuz these 2 lodge ones are so good. They're both smooth and seasoned enough to do omelettes or crepes with no sticking.
    That’s what’s great about carbon steel and cast iron. There is really no big benefit from going high end.

My super cheap, unbranded carbon steel wok performs so much better than my wife’s non-stick caphalon wok. The caphalon went to goodwill...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Carbon steel will get blacker with use, but that's not necessarily indicative of seasoning. You can put a slick-as-snot seasoning on a new carbon steel pan in 10 minutes. They also don't hold a seasoning like cast iron, so you have to re-season pretty regularly, which only takes a few minutes. Anything beyond a thin polymer is burned on carbon that, IME, will inevitably start to flake unless you baby the pan.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Not the most sensational looking dish. On the boat resources are most limited. Given the circumstances, this was overall one of the more fun/delicious things I've ever made.

Conch Ceviche:
    Name:  IMG_E2434.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_E2437.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  34.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_8273.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  35.4 KB

Looks great, even if the cooking step was skipped.

Watcha cookin'?

No pics cuz I ate the shit out of dinner tonight before I could think if it.

Constructed a new one for me:
    Pork coppa steaks. Bout an inch thick.
    Used the tenderizer on them but not too aggressively.
    Seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and fresh milled fennel seed.
    Bashed a pile of pork rinds.
    Light coat of mustard on coppas
    Dredge in pork rind “flour” chunks
    Deep fried in avocado oil
    Finished in oven on a rack.

Salad and balsamic glaze Brussels sprouts on the side.

Fantastic! Pork fat on pork fat! Will try frying in pork fat next tome for the hat trick.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by schwerty; 11-14-2019 at 10:37 AM.

What's a copper steak? Nothing on the interwebz. Next time cook in lard. More pork fat that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

All the WokTalk above made me pull it out tonight, and this is wokking with the Blue star. Works OK, probably as well or better than the gizmo above. Still could use another 30k+ BTUs.

Why do the photos from new phone not position properly?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	388.9 KB 
ID:	302237  

Take horizontal pictures, not vertical. Works every time.

Make chicken stock ahead; Deep stock. Sub 3 cup of better than bullion mixed rich with wine.

Take equal parts dried chile NM, Guajillo (4 ish each, evs.), toast/steam in a cast iron covered on low/med for 20 minutes flipping often. No smoke. Soak in very hot water covered for 1 hr. Don't pour out red water.

Shoulder chuck beef: couple pounds, cube that and brown on high in lard or veg oil, season well snp; Reserve.

Saute onion, garlic slow in same pan, season, scrape, reserve;

Heat chicken stock in same pan, season. Add massa 1 cup, and wisk until smooth.

Seed and stem chiles and put in blender with cumin seeds, 2 cloves, and mexican oregano, salt and pepper. Add 2 cups stock with masa and pulverize until absolutely smooth. Add reserved chile soaking water to make deep paste.

In a dutch oven, add beef and juices, add onion garlic mixture, add chile paste and the rest of the masa stock. Stir well.

Put in 350 oven in dutch oven uncovered for 1 hour. Lower oven to 250 for 4 hours. Maybe cover in the oven for the last 1. Ideally, on top of your woodstove.

Stir whenever. Let rest for 30 minutes min, then bowl and serve with a dollop of mexican crema or sour cream, a splash of lime, and some chopped cilantro.

Don't blame me for how your house or truck smells.

Optional, which I do, I know it's antichrist. I chop up 2 pasilla peppers, a handful of mushrooms and add them to the pot before hitting the oven; Texture and umami.

I also add beans, if I feel it, 40 minutes before pulling from oven. Half dark kidney, half white beans. YMMV. Serve with tortillas, or french bread, or crackers, or pour it over your head and take a true bath (let cool).

De Nada. Welcome to winter.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 11-14-2019 at 01:44 AM.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

whole new iPhone paradigm (algorithm?). was always the other way around with the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Take horizontal pictures, not vertical. Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    What's a copper steak? Nothing on the interwebz. Next time cook in lard. More pork fat that way.
    Fixed. Coppa steak. Damn auto correct

Thanks. These?

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...ange-your-life

looks good.... I see them in my future

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1574221470.379004.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	984.3 KB 
ID:	302979
    And now my cinnamon lozenge has a demon in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrswhyturn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1574221470.379004.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	984.3 KB 
ID:	302979
    And now my cinnamon lozenge has a demon in it.

Are these super expensive cast iron pans worth it? Or should I just get another Lodge for 20 bucks?

Smithey
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I'd get a good carbon steel over a cast iron.

From what I can tell the better cast iron pans get you a smoother finish on the bottom. And if it's just for cooking bacon it won't matter.

Neither, you should buy a vintage one. Just find one that's flat on the bottom (they often warp over time) and smooth on the inside. Any of the old brands are good.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Flatness only really matters for induction tops (or if excessive, annoying wobbles)...on gas it cooks the same

unsmooth cast iron is easily smoothed too. Plenty of youtubes on it. sand and reseason.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'd get a good carbon steel over a cast iron.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Thanks. These?

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...ange-your-life

looks good.... I see them in my future
    I did this over the weekend and then "schnitzeled" the steaks (flour, egg, panko into frying pan). Good. Really fucking good.

About the only thing I like more than hot 'n' crazy Hungarian chicks is Hungarian goulash. Yum...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191120_191526.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	303130

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.