Page 8 of 304 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Didn't cook it, but destroyed this, and many more steamed containers of deliciousness.

Star Kitchen off Federal/W Miss.

If you don't know, now you know.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

What's on the menu for tonight?

I'm doing some prime strips on the egg. Baked taters. Corn. Broccoli. Fairly basic, but good.

Some red and some bubbly.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Watcha cookin'?

5 month old forces me to keep it simple- late lunch of chicken thighs, roasted spuds and green salad. No way I'm gonna make it to midnight-- we have been crashing about 6:30-7.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    5 month old forces me to keep it simple- late lunch of chicken thighs, roasted spuds and green salad. No way I'm gonna make it to midnight-- we have been crashing about 6:30-7.
    Seven, wow that's pretty weak.
    I'm going with a shrimp scampi pizza using the deep dish recipe posted in this thread. We'll wash it down w/ some bubbly and a little bourbon for a night cap.
    If we're lucky, we'll make it to 8:00

That sounds good^.

I've done a shrimp pizza with white sauce on the Egg.

Some recent Cave de Lugny chard, some penn cove oysters (tired of the kumamotos being so hard to shuck), lobster tail in brown sauce (a super light butter red curry) and basil 02 F. Magnien Gevrey Perrieres, smoked duck breast salad.

My whole crew is down with a cold...during the school vacation.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    That sounds good^.

I've done a shrimp pizza with white sauce on the Egg.
    Very nice!

Our NYE tradition, posole. Red chile is traditional, we use green:

Chile, pork, posole, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cumin, broth, and cilantro goodness.

Happy New Year!

I need a good Green Chili recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    I need a good Green Chili recipe.
    To make good green chile, you need good green chiles. But here's my rave-inducing recipe:

Green chile stew recipe:
    -a couple of pounds of lean pork, cubed (about an inch)
    - a cup and a half or so of New Mexico Green Chile, roasted, peeled, de-seeded (or not), chopped
    - an onion, sliced thin
    - a tomato, diced
    - a couple-three cloves of garlic, minced
    - 1 teaspoon or so of ground cumin
    - about the same amount of salt
    - 1/3 quart or so of broth - I use chicken
    - olive oil
    - some water
    - beer

Drink the beer while you're doing this.

In a heavy pot braise the meat in olive oil (look up meat braising directions). I do a small amount at a time so that the meat gets brown, not gray, and set the braised meat aside while I braise more . Then when you're done with the meat, in the same oil I toss in the onions and garlic and cook them until the onions go clear. Then I pour in the broth, add the meat, tomato, onion, chile, cumin, salt and some water. Cover and simmer for as long as you like - the longer the better.
    I think the brown stuff that builds up in the bottom of the pot while you're cooking the meat and onions/garlic is a crucial part of the recipe.

Watcha cookin'?

Verde?

The very basic take of what I do --

I always think of it as equal parts of everything

cheap not lean pork roast- at least 2.5-3 lbs
    Whatever the roast weighs get that in both chilies and tomatillos I usually go half to 2/3s poblano with the remainder a varity of hot chiles consisting of mostly jalapeños.
    one med onion per lb of roast
    One bunch of cilantro per 2-3 lbs of roast
    Chicken stock
    Cumin

Cut to 1-2" cubes and brown, take off and sweat some onions and garlic till tender in the pork fat.

Chuck pork back in and add chicken stock to cover pork and add a good amount of cumin. Simmer for 30ish.

Then dump in all the chopped chills and simmer for another 30ish

Then blend the tomatillos and cilantro to smoothie like (but save enough cilantro to garnish). Dump in and slowly bubble till you feel it's ready.

Of course you'd want to tweak and season how ever you feel at every step. And this is lazy-- if I have a grill going I throw the chills and tomatillos on it for a quick blister.

Oh cotija cheese is key when serving

Wow when I started on that meadow skipper had not posted.

Maybe this new vaporizer is working after all.

Wow when I started on that meadow skipper had not posted.
    Yours is different enough to stand.

Maybe this new vaporizer is working after all.
    Whatcha cookin?

I was actually contemplating a thread. I have 3 pints of coconut oil and 1.5 pints of butter. Both pretty strong - cooked in a crockpot on low for 3 days

Thanks fellas.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Breakfast - Patacones, diced avocado, caramelized sliced Shitake mushrooms, GF raisin cinammon bread with coconut butter.

Kofta curry

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    To make good green chile, you need good green chiles. But here's my rave-inducing recipe:

Green chile stew recipe:
    - a cup and a half or so of New Mexico Green Chile, roasted, peeled, de-seeded (or not), chopped
    - an onion, sliced thin
    - a tomato, diced
    - olive oil
    - some water
    - beer

In a heavy pot braise the meat in olive oil (look up meat braising directions). I do a small amount at a time so that the meat gets brown, not gray, and set the braised meat aside while I braise more . Then when you're done with the meat, in the same oil I toss in the onions and garlic and cook them until the onions go clear. Then I pour in the broth, add the meat, tomato, onion, chile, cumin, salt and some water. Cover and simmer for as long as you like - the longer the better.
    I think the brown stuff that builds up in the bottom of the pot while you're cooking the meat and onions/garlic is a crucial part of the recipe.
    Very similar to what I do. Hatch chiles are available on line (and in the Truckee Safeway in August)--a hotter Anaheim. You can also get seeds on line. I use ten chiles, skip the tomato, use a lot more stock and either flour the meat before browning or add a roux near the end.

Our new New Year's Eve tradition, courtesy of the late, lamented Pink Adobe in Santa Fe and my wife's childhood friend in Santa Fe---Gypsy Stew
    4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
    2 onions quatered and peeled
    6 cloves of garlic peeled and halved
    1 1/3 cu sherry
    2 cups chicken stock
    10 Hatch chiles (or Anaheim chiles plus a jalapeno or two) roasted, peeled, +/- seeds (leave the seed pulp if you like heat, and diced
    1 large can whole tomatos, save juice, shred tomatoes

Simmer chicken, onions, garlic, stock, half of sherry, and enough water to cover 1 hour.
    Shred chicken with forks, add back to pot with the chiles, tomatoes and juice, salt to taste, simmer 45 minutes, serve over little cubes of monterey jack--stir to melt the cheese. Flour tortillas.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Our new New Year's Eve tradition, courtesy of the late, lamented Pink Adobe in Santa Fe...
    ^Quality reference. Drinks on me if ever the opportunity arises.

Split a whole fresh ham in half and dropped both halves into a wet cure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451710712.589416.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	174314

10 days later, the shank was ready for some smoke. No pics, but coated it with an apricot glaze and served it with garlic smashed potatoes and green beans for NYE dinner.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451710741.473110.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	469.7 KB 
ID:	174315

As the ham would take several hours, we brought in some reinforcements to make sure nobody got hungry.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451710770.257574.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	418.3 KB 
ID:	174316

We made sure to save some for the 1AM drunk munchies.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451710783.558636.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	414.9 KB 
ID:	174317
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Nicely done^

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

Green chile stew recipe:
    - an onion, sliced thin
    - a tomato, diced
    - olive oil
    - some water
    - beer

The French call it "Fond." It is crucial.

Verde?

The very basic take of what I do --

I always think of it as equal parts of everything

cheap not lean pork roast- at least 2.5-3 lbs
    Whatever the roast weighs get that in both chilies and tomatillos I usually go half to 2/3s poblano with the remainder a varity of hot chiles consisting of mostly jalapeños.
    one med onion per lb of roast
    One bunch of cilantro per 2-3 lbs of roast
    Chicken stock
    Cumin

Cut to 1-2" cubes and brown, take off and sweat some onions and garlic till tender in the pork fat.

Chuck pork back in and add chicken stock to cover pork and add a good amount of cumin. Simmer for 30ish.

Then dump in all the chopped chills and simmer for another 30ish

Then blend the tomatillos and cilantro to smoothie like (but save enough cilantro to garnish). Dump in and slowly bubble till you feel it's ready.

Of course you'd want to tweak and season how ever you feel at every step. And this is lazy-- if I have a grill going I throw the chills and tomatillos on it for a quick blister.

Oh cotija cheese is key when serving
    My recipe is closer to yours, but you forgot a beer.

I use Anaheim, Poblano, Banana, and Jalapeno peppers. I remove the seeds and ribs and cut them into chunks (kids don't like the heat) Quarter the Tomatillos, toss the lot in olive oil and goya Adobo seasoning, then roast until the juices start caramelizing in the roasting pan.

In the meantime I cube a 4lb pork shoulder, removing the big external fat but leave internal. Toss w/ a little more Adobo seasoning and brown it in a large oval Le Creuset. Trick is to not stir the pork until it's gotten dark on one side. Cook pork in batches then put aside. Do not clean pot.

Dice 2 onions and brown well in pot until edges get brown. Add 4 cloves minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Add 2 cups chicken broth (I like Knorr) and scrape any fond left on the pot. Add pork and accumulated juices. Add roasted peppers and tomatillos. Add one bottle of mexican beer to roasting pan and scrape up any stuck bits and fond from the roasted veggies, add to pot. add 2 Bay leaves, cover, and simmer until pork is tender.

While pork is cooking pick the leaves off one full bunch of washed cilantro. Place in blender. Once pork is done take 2 cups (or more) of the simmering liquid and add to blender, puree cilantro. Add shockingly green mixture back into pot and stir. If stew is too thin add 1/4 cup Masa Harina and stir until thickened.

Wallah.

Try skipping the bay leaf and use some Mexican oregano.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Try skipping the bay leaf and use some Mexican oregano.
    I have - kids didn't care for it. Should probably try again since they're now older.

Made this super easy gnocchi with red sauce last night, came out as advertised (clearly not my photo):

Inspired by this thread, green chili is in the dutch oven for weekday goodness