Page 108 of 304 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 7597

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Some venison shepards pie and a nice redbreast 12 for the 'holiday'

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1517.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	609.1 KB 
ID:	274635
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Went with a rib cap for dinner tonight. Fuckin phenomenal. Fat cap was somethin special.
    Simply seasoned with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, toasted mustard seeds and a little all purpose dried herb mix.
    Fired it up on the green egg. Tossed in a chunk of hickory to flavor up the fat cap. Smoke didn’t get too deep into the meat which was the goal but the cap was good and smokey.
    Served with grilled broccoli and a basic salad.

Name:	IMG_4586.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	275193
    Seasoned and waiting.

Name:	IMG_4587.jpg 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	275194
    Resting

Name:	IMG_4588.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	275195
    Money shot

Name:	IMG_4590.jpg 
Views:	775 
ID:	275196

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Went with a rib cap for dinner tonight. Fuckin phenomenal. Fat cap was somethin special.
    Simply seasoned with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, toasted mustard seeds and a little all purpose dried herb mix.
    Fired it up on the green egg. Tossed in a chunk of hickory to flavor up the fat cap. Smoke didn’t get too deep into the meat which was the goal but the cap was good and smokey.
    Served with grilled broccoli and a basic salad.

Name:	IMG_4586.jpg 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	275193
    Seasoned and waiting.

Name:	IMG_4587.jpg 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	275194
    Resting

Name:	IMG_4588.jpg 
Views:	64 
ID:	275195
    Money shot

Beauty eh. What temp, 125?

I've never bought just rib cap. Will butchers do it or did you peel it yourself? Looks amazing.

Grabbed it from the butcher. I think they got 18/lb on it. Grass fed. I don’t always tie those things. They cook well flat too.

Pulled at 119*. Probably hit mid-upper 120s by the time I sliced.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

The tie looks pretty. Looks like the fat cap helps with uniform doneness inside.

D-rool!!

Money shot

Mother. Of. God.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Mother. Of. God.
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 280
Size:  440.7 KB

Glad you guys are digging the rib cap. Get one! Forgot to mention I did it at around 225-240 grate temp. I didn’t bother searing after the rest as the outside of the fat cap was already crisp.

I

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

We're about to buy a 1/4 cow. Grass fed and local (reasonably local, they're not eating expensive Boulder grass!). Pretty psyched to have better quality meat from a cow that had a good life.

I'm used to cooking conventional beef, of course, and I see online info about how grass fed beef is different (in terms of both cooking times and internal temps), but then I see other stuff that says otherwise.

Anyone have experience or tips they can share?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I buy it because I prefer the taste, people tell me it’s better for me and I feel good about it.
    I have no basis other than second hand info but the mass produced conventional, corn/GMO grain feb beef industry is scary. Both from a humane standpoint and health factors.
    My guess is there are plenty of beef producers feeding cattle corn and grains that don’t feed or inject them with crap we don’t want filtering down to us but with my family, I just don’t take that chance anymore. Grass fed tastes better to me.
    I’ve been told the fat structure is different and better for you. Muscle meats I think are similar in nutrition and leaner. Plenty of fat on grass fed! Just not as much intramuscular fat.

I’d bet after having all that good beef around you will be less drawn to the 2.49/lb mystery beef at the local mega mart!

I’d bet after having all that good beef around you will be less drawn to the 2.49/lb mystery beef at the local mega mart!
    Probably!

Did you find that cooking it was different than conventional beef?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It cooks the same. Just use your normal temps.

It's still a cow.

When you know the meat comes from a single cow, it's usually safer (not safe, but safer) to cook ground meat to lower temps since there aren't like 100 different animals in your burger.

But otherwise, what MTM said.

Watcha cookin'?

My tip is to squirrel away some of the steaks cause when you’re down to the dregs you’ll be glad you still have a steak or two.

Also, what Moon said. You forget just how damn good a mid-rare burger is.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I want me some steak tar tar. I miss raw beef. Had a lot as a kid from our pasture scavengers. Love the taste and texture.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Well not really. It is still is processed thru either the same type of USDA processor or even worse-> a mobile butcher.
    Hmm.... is it just safer if you grind it yourself then? I heard it on Alton Brown, so it has to be true!

FWIW, the place I'm buying from says no hormones, antibiotics, or steroids, and says that the cattle are killed by an Animal Welfare approved slaughter facility, whatever that means.

But most things I have read, including from ranches, say that the cooking times are significantly shorter. Guess I'll find out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    the cattle are killed by an Animal Welfare approved slaughter facility
    I sense a farside cartoon here.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I sense a farside cartoon here.
    The facility is located in Midvale.

I buy it because I prefer the taste, people tell me it’s better for me and I feel good about it.
    I have no basis other than second hand info but the mass produced conventional, corn/GMO grain feb beef industry is scary. Both from a humane standpoint and health factors.
    My guess is there are plenty of beef producers feeding cattle corn and grains that don’t feed or inject them with crap we don’t want filtering down to us but with my family, I just don’t take that chance anymore. Grass fed tastes better to me.
    I’ve been told the fat structure is different and better for you. Muscle meats I think are similar in nutrition and leaner. Plenty of fat on grass fed! Just not as much intramuscular fat.

I prefer grass fed/pastured beef too, but it is factually incorrect to say that it is superior to grain-fed beef in terms of flavor and tenderness. If I was trying to really wow someone with a piece of beef, I wouldn't even think of using grass fed. Take a lap.

ETA: See MTM's post below.

"Wagyu cattle are fed for over 600 days on a special diet including wheat, rice, corn, barley and other wholesome foods. Their diet promotes "shimofuri," which is the high quality fat content we refer to as marbling."

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Hmm.... is it just safer if you grind it yourself then? I heard it on Alton Brown, so it has to be true!
    Yes. Ground beef should have the living shit cooked out of it unless you ground it yourself at home from a cut where you trimmed off the outside first. I'm on a burger hiatus until I finally decide which home grinder I want to buy.