Page 170 of 304 FirstFirst ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 7597

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

^Those are about the handsomenest b-sprouts I’ve ever seen. Nice tune selection too, I never heard that version.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Tgapp, for heart, I do this for my game animals,
    https://honest-food.net/?s=heart
    [
    Hank Shaw's grilled deer heart with peppers recipe (and really all his recipes) is the bomb.
    Hadn't seen the Peruvian grilled heart recipe - definitely going to give that a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    Hank Shaw's grilled deer heart with peppers recipe (and really all his recipes) is the bomb.
    Hadn't seen the Peruvian grilled heart recipe - definitely going to give that a whirl.
    yeah thanks guys for all the heart recipes. i honestly am leaning towards jerky, but now i just need to get my hands on more heart to try both Anticuchos and grilled heart.

@cruiser - i love brussels, those look great! if you shop at trader joe's every fall they carry brussels on the stalk, which make for a beautiful presentation. highly recommend it!

Does anyone render pork fat? I have some ribs that would produce a 1/2 cup.
    Usually just use bacon fat but started to wonder if here’s nitrates in it?

So I picked up a half-price packer brisket at the resto supply the other day. It was labeled 'corned beef'. I asked the dude there if it was already brined and he said no, same as a regular brisket just slightly more trimmed and with a spice packet enclosed, hence the labelling.

Smoked up the point half yesterday. When I cut it open it became clear (color) that it had indeed been brined, and what we ended up with was essentially pastrami. It did not suck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2931.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	975.0 KB 
ID:	343777  
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Damn I have serious stove envy. That thing is beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What he said; that stove is the tits! Looks great and love the white.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yeah thanks guys for all the heart recipes. i honestly am leaning towards jerky, but now i just need to get my hands on more heart to try both Anticuchos and grilled heart.

@cruiser - i love brussels, those look great! if you shop at trader joe's every fall they carry brussels on the stalk, which make for a beautiful presentation. highly recommend it!
    Blasphemy! Using the heart for Jerky is a horrendous idea.

One of the most tender, flavorful and delicious cuts to cook rare, med. rare. Dont do it!

Use a hunk off the hind quarter for jerky. Bottom round or such.

Mallard from last year udon Gochujang stir fry. I’m getting comfortable enough with asian to be able to make a damned good(maybe not authentic) stir fry sauce constantly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9607.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	344129

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

That's hot! Are you using a thickener in that sauce? Or just reducing and letting it be thin like soy sauce?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I wish I had thickened it up a bit, but no complaints on flavor.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Who’s got a good apple crisp recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    unless your bacon was cured with only salt and not smoked then yes, there are nitrates in it. "uncured" bacon is a misnomer, its nitrates just happen to come from the smoke or from nitrates that occur naturally in ingredients such as celery powder.

Yes, there's nitrates in it. That's not really a big deal: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ul#bottom-line

The main problem with using bacon fat is that you don't always want the smokey flavor it has. Neutral lard is a lot more versatile. Rendering fat is super easy, use the wet method.

Interesting, thanks guys

My mom used to render lard from our pigs when I was a kid. I remember something about having to be very sure it was pure and clean. Something about temperature. She was using it for pies and other pastries. So the drippings from a piece of meat don't seem up to that. But for use in general cooking, maybe?

Pub style meat pie.

Name:	20201018_201559.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	344188

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Pub style meat pie.

Name:	20201018_201559.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	344188
    Need a recipe please. It's okay if it's in commie units, my daughter speaks that.

We just bought a half hog and it came with some offal and pork fat. If you or someone else local-ish wants it, let me know and I can dig up what we have (I know we have pork fat and neck and I know there's other stuff too).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Need a recipe please. It's okay if it's in commie units, my daughter speaks that.
    youtube link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6BHiiuyXCs

If you hate recipes by video as much as I do let me know, I'll find the cookbook and take a picture of the recipe.

Some tweaks to consider. The recipe as-is is good, but real lovers of beef and or stew might find the filling a touch bland so find inspiration from your favourite stew and maybe modify the filling a bit. Next time I make this I'll use a combo of stewing beef and something with a bit more fat. Definitely use a baller quality cheddar cheese, and be liberal with it. Any home made beef stock in the freezer? This is the time to use some.

Also choose your puff pastry wisely. I usually can find a pretty good store bought kind but lately haven't seen it around so I ended up using a large grocery chains branded puff pastry and it kinda sucked - tasted great and was flaky right out of the oven but as soon as it started to cool the texture changed and the crust was just a chewy mess.

Also this is the first time a made the full size single pie. You can imagine how messy this gets when you cut it to serve it so I usually make individual pies with smaller ramekin bowls.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    That was hilarious. See the Gordon Ramsey one for how it should be done.

^ Needlessly snarky try hard 'reaction video' that demonstrates (gasp) different people have different approaches to cooking. Are we supposed to be surprise a Brit isn't cooking authentic Chinese?

(although I agree on his points about olive oil)

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    We just bought a half hog and it came with some offal and pork fat. If you or someone else local-ish wants it, let me know and I can dig up what we have (I know we have pork fat and neck and I know there's other stuff too).

did they give you any leaf lard? If they did, that shit is top-notch for making pie dough. You will never get a flakier or tastier crust with any other ingredient.

leaf lard is gold.

Oh come on. Jamie Oliver is great but he fucked that dish right up.

jamies gota following.....