Page 152 of 304 FirstFirst ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 7597

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Name:  tritip.JPG
Views: 1209
Size:  111.8 KB
    Went with a tri-tip, veggies, and salad with copious amounts of beer.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Made some king salmon ikura, add in some fresh dungeness and fried rice/bull kelp-kimchi with caribou, and dinner is served

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35E7B35A-01EE-4B1A-9B84-E77A2B460BC8.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	382.8 KB 
ID:	332586

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I was at Safeway yesterday and stunned to see what they were getting for a rack of not-very-meaty beef ribs. Something like $7+ per pound. Interesting that beef prices seemed to have retained their spike pricing even though packing plants are back to near normal production.
    Steak near me is still pricy & no prime avail in reg grocery
    $16/lb for choice ribeye
    $14/lb for ny strip
    $12/lb for flat iron
    Brisket almost never seen these days

(Tho, the beef ribs above were not: $2/lb)

Hit up a Cash & Carry or similar food service supplier if you have one. Choice grades, but whole brisket always there at $3+ per pound. Other stuff, like my fave flap meat is $7.99, almost twice what it was 6 months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Hit up a Cash & Carry or similar food service supplier if you have one. Choice grades, but whole brisket always there at $3+ per pound. Other stuff, like my fave flap meat is $7.99, almost twice what it was 6 months ago.
    i found one nearby...gonna check it out

It's a no fucking around kinda night.
    T bone and some garden greens.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Anyone use duck eggs for cooking? I ended up with a bunch from a friend that has a couple of ducks. I like eggs, but I am not a big fan of the yolk and I know duck eggs have bigger yolks and more fat content. Anyone use them for baking?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Anyone use duck eggs for cooking? I ended up with a bunch from a friend that has a couple of ducks. I like eggs, but I am not a big fan of the yolk and I know duck eggs have bigger yolks and more fat content. Anyone use them for baking?
    Hard boiled. Definitely. Never tried it with a duck egg, but that would be freaky, so you should try it for me a report back. 8)

Ya, substitute like 1 duck eggs for two or three chicken eggs; no difference otherwise.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You should soft-boil those duck eggs, wrap them in sausage, and deep-fry them.

God those would be tasty, I'd wager.

Taco night. Flap meat grilled wrapped in caul fat, onion grill-roasted in lard. Tres salsas: avocado, cilantro/tomato, smoked tomatillo. It didn't suck. Thank you pork fat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2723.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	912.0 KB 
ID:	332786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2721.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	332787  

Taco night. Flap meat grilled wrapped in caul fat, onion grill-roasted in lard. Tres salsas: avocado, cilantro/tomato, smoked tomatillo. It didn't suck. Thank you pork fat.
    Oh my.

That looks delicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What's a good, quick, simple (simple as in healthy) way to cook a potato in a crockpot/grill/oven? Multiple ideas are great...

45 minutes at 400 degrees.... done.

Smoke-roasted spatchcocked chicken with lemon and garlic, extra cheesy spoon bread. Yum.

Thanks to Thing #2 I'm pretty sure we have the worlds largest collection of homemade condiments. This not a problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2724.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	332885  

Damn!
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What's a good, quick, simple (simple as in healthy) way to cook a potato in a crockpot/grill/oven? Multiple ideas are great...
    Type of potato you want to cook is critical information.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Type of potato you want to cook is critical information.
    School me on types you like and why? Looking for ideas to add to breakfast eggs + sides for dinners. I started cooking a month or two ago and have had good luck figuring out a bunch of dishes so far, but my potato game sucks. Mashed and baked options aside (punny!), what works?

It's a "horses for courses" thing. Different varieties of potatoes have different amounts and types starch (amylose vs. amylopectin), so they cook up very differently. Russets (higher starch overall, more amylose) are best for baked potatoes, fries, hash browns and mashed potatoes. "Waxy" potatoes like reds and Yukon golds (less total starch, more amylopectin) are better for roasted potatoes, home fries, potato salads (and all cold applications), and gratins.

Here's one kickass recipe and some general potato science:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/12/...toes-ever.html

I was given a George foreman and didn’t know what to do with it till Mrs Roo told me to cook bacon on it. Wait maybe it was Sprite. Long time ago. Anyway, that was an awesome suggestion, and then I started cooking potatoes on it. 7 minutes on 400, nice crispy home fry rounds. I’ve since worn out the foreman, haven’t replaced yet, and so I’m eating a lot of boiled potatoes. Mashed potatoes without the mashing. Cook a few cups at a time of diced potatoes, save in fridge, put some in cast iron in the morning with bacon fat, crispy potato cubes.

^Got a waffle iron? Try that with yer diced taters. Also leftover stuffing waffles do not suck. Feel free to add bacon, onions, a little corned beef hash etc.

No waffle iron. I could eat sweet breads all day. And sweet breads with maple syrup. But I try to keep it at a minimum.

^Got a waffle iron? Try that with yer diced taters. Also leftover stuffing waffles do not suck. Feel free to add bacon, onions, a little corned beef hash etc.
    Can I come eat at your house? You're on a role lately

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's a "horses for courses" thing. Different varieties of potatoes have different amounts and types starch (amylose vs. amylopectin), so they cook up very differently. Russets (higher starch overall, more amylose) are best for baked potatoes, fries, hash browns and mashed potatoes. "Waxy" potatoes like reds and Yukon golds (less total starch, more amylopectin) are better for roasted potatoes, home fries, potato salads (and all cold applications), and gratins.

Here's one kickass recipe and some general potato science:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/12/...toes-ever.html
    Fantastic, thanks. I haven't parbolied potatoes before putting them in the oven, maybe that's my overall issue besides just being a noob. That site looks great, is that your go-to for cooking? And how do you know so much about the science of food btw?

Duck fat, huh. I had no idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Cook a few cups at a time of diced potatoes, save in fridge, put some in cast iron in the morning with bacon fat, crispy potato cubes.
    How long do they stay 'well' in the fridge? It would be nice to cook a bunch at once then re-heat in the mornings like you are doing.

If you don’t want to parboil you can microwave for like 5 min to partially cook and then finish however you want. Works with all dense root vegetables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Fantastic, thanks. I haven't parbolied potatoes before putting them in the oven, maybe that's my overall issue besides just being a noob. That site looks great, is that your go-to for cooking? And how do you know so much about the science of food btw
    The alkaline parboil will create over-the-top crispy potatoes, but I'm generally of the opinion that it's pretty hard to truly fuck up basic roasted potatoes. Just don't do it with Russetts, they'll be pale and mealy. In the same vein, don't make a basic baked potato with reds or yukons, you won't get that dry fluffy interior you want from a baker.

Food science knowledge mostly comes from a lot of time watching Alton Brown back in the day, plus a lot of time reading stuff from Serious Eats/Food Lab and Cooks Illustrated/ATK. Serious Eats is usually my first stop if I'm looking to cook something new and need a recipe.