Page 9 of 304 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Cooking up a batch of Verde now. Forgot to mention these -- my wife grew and dried em I forgot the name Ill ask. Anyhow break em up in my hand and throw em in when I add the blended tomatillo/cilantro mix. Adds a nice kick. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451868926.900031.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	366.7 KB 
ID:	174404

Got a cold so I made chicken and dumplings

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Flatiron steak w/ arugula & a Dijon vinaigrette

doughboyshredder Guest
    Baked potato smothered with caramelized onion and crispyishn chanterelles with a couple dollops of cashew sour cream.

Served with bomb vegan Mac and cheese casserole topped with crunchy hemp bread crumbs with chipotle powder.
    Last edited by doughboyshredder; 01-03-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: autocorrect

Watcha cookin'?

Vegan mac and cheese? How does that work? How do you substitute for cheese? And sour cream?

Soy based?
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 01-03-2016 at 10:48 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Vegan mac and cheese? How does that work? How do you substitute for cheese? And sour cream?

Soy based?
    Cashews are amazing. Indispensable in any quality vegan chef's kitchen.

I don't do soy.

My Mac and cheese sauce is comprised of cashews which have been blended into a paste with rice milk, carrots, caramelized white and yellow onions and shallots, garlic, sea salt, and crushed black pepper.

I cheated with the sour cream substitute. Blended cashews, rice milk, and just mayo.

Just Mayo is incredible. Soy free vegan mayo. In a blind taste test I think it would win over mayonnaise.

clam chowda
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Tonight will be crispy maitake lettuce and tomato sandwiches with deep fried breaded zucchini slices for the side.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Just Mayo is incredible. Soy free vegan mayo. In a blind taste test I think it would win over mayonnaise.
    Not in my house. I bought Just Mayo a couple of weeks ago thinking that it was regular mayo (it's on the mayo shelf and it has "Mayo" in the name, fer chrissakes!). I immediately noticed something was weird with it, it's got an "off" taste. Can't stand it, personally.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Watcha cookin'?

Going with calzones tonight.

Dough from local pizza joint - yeah I'm cheating but I have kids and work too much to fuck around with dough.

Elk pepperoni, (with added pork fat of course).
    Tomato sauce from canned summer tomatoes and garlic.
    Roasted garlic
    Caramelized onions
    Blanched spinach
    Havarti
    Mozzarella

My Mac and cheese sauce is comprised of cashews which have been blended into a paste with rice milk, carrots, caramelized white and yellow onions and shallots, garlic, sea salt, and crushed black pepper.
    This sounds like a legitimately tasty sauce, but for fucks sake don't call it "cheese".

Split Pea Soup

not vegan - cooked a buncha hours in the crock pot- peas, onion, carrots, celery, parsley, garlic, local ham hock, chicken stock - remove bones and blend smooth - add cooked turkey sausage or not and serve

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This sounds like a legitimately tasty sauce, but for fucks sake don't call it "cheese".
    I know. I normally call it a cheeze sauce.

Manu different variations of cashews "cheese". Check out miyokos kitchen. So good.

I ate some weird fermented cashew stuff once. It wasn't terrible but I'm not sure I would choose to eat it, it was kind of like feta only sourer.

Today I made shredded zucchini pasta and I liked it.

Homemade pork tamales with swineapple rice, tomatillo salsa, and crumbled cotija

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Tonight will be crispy maitake lettuce and tomato sandwiches with deep fried breaded zucchini slices for the side.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1451967389023.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	174480

for some reason that reminds me of the time my dad gave a vegan kid a regular beef hamburger at a bbq. First meat the kid had in his three years he gobbled it right up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Homemade pork tamales with swineapple rice, tomatillo salsa, and crumbled cotija

tamale bowtie ftmfw.

olives in the bourbon tho???
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Probably cherries.

Cruiser, you're welcome to cook dinner at my house any time.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    for some reason that reminds me of the time my dad gave a vegan kid a regular beef hamburger at a bbq. First meat the kid had in his three years he gobbled it right up!
    We don't quit meat because it doesn't taste good.

That being said, crispy maitake is incredible.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Oh, and anybody that intentionally gives someone's child any food their parents don't want them eating is an asshole.

Talk about pushing an agenda.

I'm with you. A friend took Owen to McDonald's. We don't eat that shit.

Oh, and anybody that intentionally gives someone's child any food their parents don't want them eating is an asshole.

Talk about pushing an agenda.
    I think it has already been established that my dad is an asshole, but I'm pretty sure the hamburger wasn't intentional. He was grilling and handing out food, kid was milling around, and was given a burger. Kid's mom should have been supervising the kid better rather than expect others to know her dietary preferences...

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Try skipping the bay leaf and use some Mexican oregano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I have - kids didn't care for it. Should probably try again since they're now older.
    Made Chili Verde tonight because of this thread. It was good but a little too smoky for my tastes - over roasted the veggies a bit and used one too many chipotle peppers. Rest of the family liked it however so fuck it.

Did find some MX Oregano tho and the consensus was keep it, lose the bay leaves.

Lobstah bisque

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.