Page 104 of 304 FirstFirst ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 7597

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Watcha cookin'?

I made a baked egg thing for early mornings this week with 12 eggs, shredded sweet potatoes, bell pepper, spinach, garlic, onion and ground turkey. Easy to heat up a slice

Lunch is butternut squash soup with carrots and celery blended in. Added bacon chunks and barley after the blend.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Nice. I love barley in soups.

We almost always have a baked egg dish around. Kiddo loves em and we got a bunch of chickens.

Having my first go with our new sous vide. Doing some lamb chops with a garlic rosemary herb butter and a pistachio mint sauce, roasted asperagus and parmesan couscous.

Anyone into sous vide? Have any tastey recipes?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No one here has ever heard of sous vide. Unless it's the red one. Search JONG!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    ...Anyone into sous vide?...
    Oh no you didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    No one here has ever heard of sous vide. Unless it's the red one. Search JONG!
    Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Oh no you didn't!
    I have and i did. In my 12 years here i have only browsed it. Since you two are so quick to reply, hit me with a top 5 selection and maybe i can post in the plea to ullr with the GF tribute.

Even though I am vehemently against this food fad, I respect what it can do. Here, browse this:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpF...PKLolFR3gWhrMw

Bribery will get you anywhere. But there better be some full-frontal.

I'm pretty sure there's a sous vide thread out there, if not it's in this one somewhere. I'm too busy sous viding to search at the moment.

here ya go. took me .4 seconds.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...rchid=18265777

and search this thread for those words. It's loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    I have and i did. In my 12 years here i have only browsed it. Since you two are so quick to reply, hit me with a top 5 selection and maybe i can post in the plea to ullr with the GF tribute.

Serious Eats has a very comprehensive sous vide guide, start there.

My buddy always jokes that his lawnmower would probably work just fine if he wasn't high but he's not sure cuz he's never had occasion to find out. I feel the same way about rack of lamb in the sous vide cooker. Yeah, I could probably cook it just fine without but I wouldn't know cuz it is so damned good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    My buddy always jokes that his lawnmower would probably work just fine if he wasn't high but he's not sure cuz he's never had occasion to find out. I feel the same way about rack of lamb in the sous vide cooker. Yeah, I could probably cook it just fine without but I wouldn't know cuz it is so damned good.
    The only thing I miss with doing big hunks of meat in the sous vide is that super crispy crust you get when you do, say, a pork shoulder in the oven at 250 degrees for many hours. I feel like sous vide gives you perfect interior, but you do trade off a little exterior quality. Yes, I know, you can sear or broil the meat after it's cooked to get some crust, but it's not the same as a slowly developed crust from normal cooking methods. You miss out on those roasty flavors that develop from long dry cooking.

It's generally worth it for big cuts that need lots of time and connective tissue to dissolve. But with a pork tenderloin, for example, I'd rather just sear it on the grill with a super flavorful rub - it's done quickly anyway, and I'm willing to sacrifice the edge-to-edge perfect pink interior for a gloriously crispy, spicy, salty exterior. But that's just me.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Oyster feed today for a few friends: Fresh OR oysters on the grill; Bloody Bar w/bacon wrapped shrimp & local meat sticks. All the trimmings. Yummmmm...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0937.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	258.1 KB 
ID:	265246

Grilled oysters are great.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

If you hunt, buy these books. Been cranking out recipes. Last night did Rinellas venison Bolognese which was fantastic.

Name:	Image1547945495.010285.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	265460

Tonight, kimchi venison shank tacos. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1547945557.755662.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	478.0 KB 
ID:	265461

Final photos to come.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

OOOOHHHH!

Name:	Image1547949080.664300.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	492.9 KB 
ID:	265466

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Safeway had this odd packaging of lamb.... 2" thick cross cuts of leg (someone screw something up in the butcher shop?) labeled as "leg chops". WTF? The good news was they were half the per-pound the price of a leg, so I gave it a whack. Sous vide with salt, rosemary & garlic powder to 129, hit hard in a burning cast iron pan on the stove. Came out pretty edible.

Name:	IMG_1404.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	770.5 KB 
ID:	265799

Looks tasty!

Name:	IMG_1007.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	266113

Homemade Italian sausage.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Super bowl carnitas with pickled red onions and three salsas--arbol-roasted tomato, habanero, and fresh tomatillo-jalapeno. Best carnitas I've ever made. Marinaded overnight, then put the chunks on the racks in the pics and into the oven at 220 for 8 hours. Moist and super tender with great crispy bark.

Good thing the food was bomb since the game sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Super bowl carnitas with pickled red onions and three salsas--arbol-roasted tomato, habanero, and fresh tomatillo-jalapeno. Best carnitas I've ever made. Marinaded overnight, then put the chunks on the racks in the pics and into the oven at 220 for 8 hours. Moist and super tender with great crispy bark.

Damn that looks good. Recipe?

strong work. you forgot to invite me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

That's an interesting approach to carnitas. I've always tried to cook the carnitas really packed together, so that it kind of fries in its own fat (almost like a confit) - this article describes that approach well. Looks like you're taking the opposite approach and separating the pieces entirely. Works well, though? Certainly looks legit.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    Damn that looks good. Recipe?
    I winged it a bit on the meat marinade. Threw two limes, two clementines, two jalapenos, 1 tbs toasted cumin seed, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tbs fish sauce, and 2 tbs brown sugar into the Blendtech and liquefied it all. I think that was everything, I might be missing something but if you go with that it certainly won't suck. That was just enough marinade for a 9 lb pork shoulder, boned and cut into 2-3 inch chunks.

Onions and salsas were stolen from Rick Bayless:
    https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/pickled-red-onions/
    https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/raw-tomatillo-salsa/
    https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/habanero-hot-sauce/
    https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/r...l-chile-salsa/

I tweaked them all a bit. On the habanero I changed the full cup of vinegar to 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup of water and cut the salt in half. For the tomatillo I added about 1/4 of a large white onion and some lime juice. For the arbol I added toasted cumin seeds, the juice of a clementine and took a shortcut and used canned fire-roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen Organic brand, drained and seeded). They're all good by-the-book, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    That's an interesting approach to carnitas. I've always tried to cook the carnitas really packed together, so that it kind of fries in its own fat (almost like a confit) - this article describes that approach well. Looks like you're taking the opposite approach and separating the pieces entirely. Works well, though? Certainly looks legit.
    Yeah, it worked awesome. Like I said, best I've ever made, hands down. That Serious Eats method has been my go-to, but it requires the extra step of broiling the shredded meat. That's not necessary this way. I got the idea from David Chang's Momofuku pork roast recipe. I cooked it at 220* for 8 hours because we were leaving first thing in the morning to go ski, but I'm sure you could increase the temperature and shorten the cooking time and get great results.

baked egg thing for breakfast

a dozen eggs
    four taters
    bacon
    mushrooms
    greens
    goat cheese
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.