Page 270 of 304 FirstFirst ... 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 ... LastLast
Results 6,726 to 6,750 of 7597

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Turkey casserole
    Name:  IMG_4251.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  89.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4252.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  115.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Anyone got a good/easy meatball recipe? Bonus points if it doesn't have breadcrumbs or similar.
    roll meat into balls

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1667771069.275691.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	432649
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Anyone got a good/easy meatball recipe? Bonus points if it doesn't have breadcrumbs or similar.
    I've got a good one but it does have 2 pieces of torn up white bread. Want it anyway?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I've got a good one but it does have 2 pieces of torn up white bread. Want it anyway?
    Absolutely!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I like to use panko breadcrumbs for my meatballs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I haven’t tried this, but it is how I would make meatballs without bread. But normally, I’d add some panko breadcrumbs, and cut back on the cheese.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recip...tballs-recipe/

I have made these a few times in memory of my friend. They do have bread crumbs. Since I am in Colorado I use bison. Scroll to the end for his recipe. https://www.thecordovatimes.com/2020...k-a-k-a-sarge/
    off your knees Louie

Here's my ingredient list for Italian style. I use turkey(dark w at least 7% fat), but beef, pork, and lamb or combinations are better. Veal doesn't add a thing imo so I don't mess with it.

ground meat, 1lb

progresso Italian seasoned breadcrumbs

1/2 med yellow onion, minced

garlic powder

parmesan or romano cheese

milk

1 egg, beaten

S+P

chopped flat leaf parsley, if on hand

Wet down the crumb w the milk, then mix all ingredients until just combined w a fork, roll into balls, and straight into warm sauce. They are ready after a 1/2 hour in the sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I like to use panko breadcrumbs for my meatballs.

Same
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    roll meat into balls

Name:	Image1667771069.275691.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	432649
    How about you act like a grown up and stop cunting up nice threads with your dislike of Danno?

I made spaghetti and meatballs last night for dinner. I usually just wing meatballs, the ones I made last night were pretty much exactly as the above with three cloves of garlic swapped out for the onion and no milk.

Sauce was two cans of diced tomatoes, a small can of tomato sauce, one small onion, two cloves of garlic, three small red sweet peppers, a few sprigs of thyme, fresh Italian parsley, a few pinches of fennel seed, and a few pinches of Italian seasoning.

I like to bake the meatballs at 425 for fifteen minutes before adding them to the sauce to simmer for an hour or two. Some leftover hot dog buns, butter and garlic salt made a decent garlic bread. I usually like to bake a complete head of garlic with some olive oil at 350 (wrapped in foil) for an hour or so to make the garlic bread. But, I was running low on garlic.

Added some parmesan and it was pretty tasty. Now that I don’t work with my oldest I don’t see him daily. I use cooking on the weekends to lure him over here, there were no leftovers, it was successful.

Name:	93D800AB-FA2D-41D2-856B-9BD9841815B5.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	665.4 KB 
ID:	432709

I had about 5lb of stew meat that had been in the freezer for quite awhile, so a couple weeks ago I made some Carne Guisada in the slow cooker. It's a tex mex style beef stew.
    I make a batch of chili a couple times a year so I was looking for something a bit different and after looking at a few recipes I decided I wouldn't use any chili peppers
    I followed this one as a guide,

In addition to the standard ingredients like Onion, Garlic and Beef Broth, I used the can of Roasted Tomatoes, most of 1 Red Bell Pepper a large Carrot, a couple stalks of Celery and some Green Onion. After several hours when I was ready to eat, I stirred in a few tablespoons of Masa Flour until I got my desired consistency.

Had it with some Corn Tortillas and Guac.
    Came out well, I'll do this one again!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Watcha cookin'?

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    How about you act like a grown up and stop cunting up nice threads with your dislike of Danno?

nah

fuck that
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 11-07-2022 at 10:05 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Absolutely!
    It should be no surprise that coming from me this is a Cooks Illustrated recipe. I like it because it's fairly quick and has good flavor without a lot of fuss. You can make the meatballs ahead or freeze them. I like to serve it with whole wheat pasta.

Classic Spaghetti and Meatballs

For our spaghetti and meatballs recipe, we wanted nothing short of great meatballs: crusty and dark brown on the outside, soft and moist on the inside. Focusing on ingredients for our meatball recipe, we found that milk did wonderful things for meatballs, especially when mixed to a paste with fresh bread crumbs. Still better was buttermilk, which delivered a delicious flavor. Eggs were also important for texture and flavor; their fats and emulsifiers added moistness and richness. Egg yolks alone worked best; the whites just made the mixture sticky and hard to handle, with no benefits. Another contribution to the flavor dimension can be gotten by adding some ground pork to the usual ground beef (usually chuck); we found 1 part pork to 3 parts beef to be about right.

Meatballs

2 slices white sandwich bread (crusts discarded), torn into small cubes
    ½ cup buttermilk or 6 tablespoons plain yogurt thinned with 2 tablespoons sweet milk
    ¾ pound ground beef chuck ( or 1 pound if omitting ground pork below)
    ¼ pound ground pork (to be mixed with ground chuck)
    ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
    1 large egg yolk
    1 small clove garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
    Ground black pepper
    Vegetable oil for pan-frying (about 1 1/4 cups)

Simple Tomato Sauce

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
    Salt and ground black pepper
    1 pound spaghetti
    Grated Parmesan cheese

FOR THE MEATBALLS:

1. Combine bread and buttermilk in small bowl, mashing occasionally with fork, until smooth paste forms, about 10 minutes.

2. Mix all meatball ingredients, including bread mixture and pepper to taste in medium bowl. Lightly form 3 tablespoons of mixture into 1 1/2-inch round meatballs; repeat with remaining mixture to form approximately 14 meatballs. (Compacting them can make the meatballs dense and hard. Can be placed on large plate, covered loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerated for several hours.)

3. Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in large pot for cooking pasta.

4. Meanwhile, heat 1/4 -inch vegetable oil over medium-high heat in 10- or 11-inch sauté pan. When edge of meatball dipped in oil sizzles, add meatballs in single layer. Fry, turning several times, until nicely browned on all sides, about 10 minutes, regulating heat as needed to keep oil sizzling but not smoking. Transfer browned meatballs to paper towel--lined plate; set aside. Repeat, if necessary, with remaining meatballs.

5. FOR THE SAUCE: Discard oil in pan, leaving behind any browned bits. Add olive oil along with garlic; sauté, scraping up any browned bits, just until garlic is golden, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, bring to boil, and simmer gently until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in basil; add salt and pepper to taste. Add meatballs and simmer, turning them occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Keep warm over low flame.

6. Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water. Cook until al dente, drain, and return to pot. Ladle several large spoonfuls of tomato sauce (without meatballs) over spaghetti and toss until noodles are well coated. Divide pasta among individual bowls and top each with a little more tomato sauce and 2 to 3 meatballs. Serve immediately with grated cheese passed separately.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I'm too lazy to form the mix into uniform round shapes. Years ago I instead made what I called 'meat Squishies '. They consisted of any degree from none to all of the normal meatballs ingredients in addition to the meat, thrown in a pan and chopped up with the metal spatula. The kids are them, which was the goal. The three kids all went through different phases if not liking sauce at different times. I found that chunks of meat with the right seasoning were consumed by the kid critters just as handily as if I added egg and bread. The chunks were necessary because it was more appealing and easier to eat with fingers than cooked crumbled meat made as a precursor to meat sauce. Nowadays I just buy a big bag of Bove's meatballs at Costco.

I’ve had the most success with recipes that go with the torn up fresh bread, soaked in buttermilk in lieu of bread crumbs (similar to KQs)… some recipes add a packet of gelatin (Serious Eats / Kenji)

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Thanks for the meatball help, y'all. I'm going to be making Serious Eats' slow cooked oven sauce (a couple of friends have told me it is amazeballs) and I want to pair it with some amazeballs balls of meat. I've got some ideas now.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Watcha cookin'?

Sounds like you’re looking for recipes with grain/wheat alternatives? Potato flour or potato flakes do a pretty good job as a binder. Those are different than potato starch, which is another way to add some texture but can go really bad if you use too much. If you’re shooting for keto, almond flour isn’t bad, though I like to add an extra egg, well beaten so that it adds some volume. You can adapt traditional recipes, you just have to consider moisture levels as absorption ability can vary widely depending in the binder.

I never have any of those on hand so on the not so regular occasion I make meatballs, I either skip the binder altogether and use a mix of fatty and tougher meat that I slow cook to tender, or grate a potato, wring out the water, and incorporate that.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Sounds like you’re looking for recipes with grain/wheat alternatives? Potato flour or potato flakes do a pretty good job as a binder. Those are different than potato starch, which is another way to add some texture but can go really bad if you use too much. If you’re shooting for keto, almond flour isn’t bad, though I like to add an extra egg, well beaten so that it adds some volume. You can adapt traditional recipes, you just have to consider moisture levels as absorption ability can vary widely depending in the binder.

I never have any of those on hand so on the not so regular occasion I make meatballs, I either skip the binder altogether and use a mix of fatty and tougher meat that I slow cook to tender, or grate a potato, wring out the water, and incorporate that.
    Actually, I am looking for carb alternatives, if possible. I have seen recipes with crushed pork rinds or almond flour or just extra parm. I'm not averse to using bread/panko, if necessary, but no/low carb alternatives are good (so potato wouldn't fit the bill).

You can get away with no breadcrumbs at all, they'll still stick together if you're using a little bit of egg and some seasonings. I use a much smaller amount of breadcrumb than most recipes call for and they always come out nice.

I also saw someone on Instagram make these very small meatballs, like 3/4" - 1". Tried it and they're great. They cook really quickly, especially if seared in a pan or in the oven first for some crust.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I'm too lazy to form the mix into uniform round shapes. Years ago I instead made what I called 'meat Squishies '. They consisted of any degree from none to all of the normal meatballs ingredients in addition to the meat, thrown in a pan and chopped up with the metal spatula. The kids are them, which was the goal. The three kids all went through different phases if not liking sauce at different times. I found that chunks of meat with the right seasoning were consumed by the kid critters just as handily as if I added egg and bread. The chunks were necessary because it was more appealing and easier to eat with fingers than cooked crumbled meat made as a precursor to meat sauce. Nowadays I just buy a big bag of Bove's meatballs at Costco.
    Meat Baller

Meatball Master

Too much work. Lol.

If you need to add gelatin to yr balls you're probably using too lean of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Turkey casserole
    Name:  IMG_4251.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  89.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4252.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  115.6 KB

Is that prescription bottle for heartburn?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    If you need to add gelatin to yr balls ...
    PM Rontele
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.