Page 73 of 304 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 7597

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Like, the oven oven? Oh shit, I gotta make me some of that.
    Yep. Super simple, just rub with salt and pepper and leave it in the oven at 250 all day. Do it!
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

WINNING!

Pointers on getting set up for sous vide? There's a thredd somewheres.

However, I do well poaching. Plus I like to use the poaching liquid.

Bibimbap looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Pointers on getting set up for sous vide? There's a thredd somewheres.

However, I do well poaching. Plus I like to use the poaching liquid.

Bibimbap looks good.
    The thing with poaching is that it's really hard to nail the temp of the chicken - mine usually ends up overdone because I'm nervous about undercooking it. Sous vide completely eliminates that problem - you can do it at as low a temp as you want, since enough time in the water bath will kill salmonella even at lower temps, and it'll never overcook. Honestly, it was a revelation the first time I had sous vide poached chicken breasts - I now like breasts better than thighs, which was never the case before. And you do end up with liquid in the bag that you can use to make sauces or flavor a broth.

I have the Anova sous vide unit and it works great. You can find it on sale for around $100. All you need to go with it is a pot or container big enough to hold the water (a stockpot is what I usually use) and some gallon freezer Ziplock bags (you can go fancy and get a Foodsaver vacuum sealer, but it's not really necessary).

As far as how to actually use it, here's your bible: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/f...l-recipes.html

Pointers on getting set up for sous vide?
    Get whatever machine you like. I am not convinced bluetooth connectivity or fancy features are worth the extra $. Go to the thrift store and buy a lunch sized cooler for $2.99. Wash it. Use that to cook in. Order some cheap pingpong balls from amazon to float on top of the water when doing long cooks to minimize evaporation.

A Vacu-seal machine and bags are not bad idea but good quality (good ones are important as they are less prone to leak) ziplocks are pretty fine.

Throw meat in. Cook. Sear. Eat.

I did some steak the other night that turned out well. Big thick tri-tip from the 50% off bin, salt, pepper, dijon mustard and brown sugar rub. Sous vide at 120 for a couple hours. Seared on grill. Yum
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Monoprice sous vide unit is cheap and good. Mine wasn't much more than $50 shipped. It's easily the best money I've spent on kitchen tools in recent memory.

@pegleg What time and temp are you using on those chicken breasts?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    @pegleg What time and temp are you using on those chicken breasts?
    150 degrees for 3-4 hours. Seems to hit the sweet spot - super juicy but still the texture of cooked chicken (any lower and it starts to seem a little raw; perfectly safe if you cook it long enough, but offputting to me).

Sous vide is the escape room of cooking.

Mark my words, in a couple of hours.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A888E05C-1AB9-4081-8BFF-07F1EA50347C.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	437.5 KB 
ID:	224627

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post

Name:	A888E05C-1AB9-4081-8BFF-07F1EA50347C.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	437.5 KB 
ID:	224627
    Please, tell me you did not put a boneless prime in a pot.:eek

Lulz. Top round roast, braised in bacon fat, onions, pascilla, garlic browned after pic, pressure cooker.

Edit and of course tomatoes celery carrots fresh oregano and basil from garden etc.

Instant Pot “Osso Bucco”

One hour from getting home to good eats.

Name:	IMG_7122.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	225218

93% lean ground turkey with a 'Sausage Seasoning' blend cooked in 2oz patties in a non-stick pan. I froze a bunch. They work well with my diet when I need a random protein serving for breakfast, lunch, dinner, you name it. I'm counting calories these days so everything is measured and weighed. I fucking hate it, however it works, and I am a loser, losing.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Been back on a Sichuan Chinese cooking bender lately; I can't get enough of that spicy/numb/tingling sensation (what they call "mala") and the recipes are so easy to make on weeknights. Case in point: mapo tofu last night.

Name:	mapo.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	226936

If you're looking for recipes and ingredients, check out The Mala Market. It's run by an American lady who adopted a child from Chengdu and learned to cook Sichuan food to help her feel more comfortable in the US, and they sell the best Sichuan ingredients as well as having a blog with lots of great recipes.

(Side note - was unreasonably proud recently when my 7YO daughter asked if she could add some Sichuan peppercorns to the macaroni and cheese she was making. Like father like daughter...)

93% lean ground turkey with a 'Sausage Seasoning' blend cooked in 2oz patties in a non-stick pan. I froze a bunch. They work well with my diet when I need a random protein serving for breakfast, lunch, dinner, you name it. I'm counting calories these days so everything is measured and weighed. I fucking hate it, however it works, and I am a loser, losing.
    I lost a bunch of weight recently doing something called the "Conscious Cleanse." Actually kind of enjoyed it, and it changed how I eat pretty significantly (it's been 2 months since the cleanse ended and I haven't regained any weight, for what it's worth). Basically a whole foods diet - lots of veggies, whole grains, lean meats, and plant protein, with some odd rules about what can be combined in a single meal. Best diet I've found, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I lost a bunch of weight recently doing something called the "Conscious Cleanse."
    I skimmed the TOC in the preview viewer and it reeks of pseudoscience from start to finish. Just eat whole foods, done.

I make a lot of broth. I’m steaming crab tonight. Can I cook down the shells and guts and make a stock?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yup.

yes

FKNA
    Then what should I make?

Don't make stock from the actual guts. The rest is game. But you knew that.

Bisque.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    FKNA
    Then what should I make?
    Risotto, bisque, chowdah, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Don't make stock from the actual guts.
    0:58-1:08

FKNA

Recipes bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I make a lot of broth. I’m steaming crab tonight. Can I cook down the shells and guts and make a stock?
    Not my bag, but the Scandinavian chef did a thing with prawn shells, and loads of butter.
    Put it in foil, wrapped it up, placed on hot rock. Later he poked a hole in foil, and poured resulting sauce over trout (which was cooked in a pail. Aromatic brush/branches on bottom, hot rocks, more brush, fish on top. Put on the lid, and come back later).

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...