Page 7 of 304 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Beef Bourguignon.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

^^^ That's one of those classic dishes that is still really freaking good. It's timeless. Seems like some of the classic feel kind of dated when you eat them, but not that one.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Beef Bourguignon.
    I cook all the time and have made that a few times from different recipes and it always seems not-quite-right, like it should be better than it comes out, especially for how much work is involved in the recipes I've tried. Do you have a recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I cook all the time and have made that a few times from different recipes and it always seems not-quite-right, like it should be better than it comes out, especially for how much work is involved in the recipes I've tried. Do you have a recipe?
    Take your time. Don't use fancy beef. Something with gristle and connective tissue works best. Salt matters.

I recommend using a cast-iron dutch oven and baking it in your oven for 3-4 hours at about 300F ...really let the flavors develop over time.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Take your time. Don't use fancy beef. Something with gristle and connective tissue works best. Salt matters.

I recommend using a cast-iron dutch oven and baking it in your oven for 3-4 hours at about 300F ...really let the flavors develop over time.
    Ina would disagree with you on the cooking time, I only did an hour an fifteen min at 250. I'll take the word of an overweight tv chef, over that of a sleazy lawyer.

It turned out really good.

Had to use a lil Henndogg.

Served it over a thick piece of toasted sour dough.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...x-recipe-video
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Julia Child's recipe, to a T. That means you need to find some rind-on bacon slabs.

Did a pork belly last night. I tried something different - for me - this time. I put it in the oven at 550 for about 15 minutes, to make everything crispy. Then put the belly on a bed of veggies and white wine and cooked at 300 for a couple of hours. Defatted the pan drippings, and cooked it down with some finely cubed sweet potatoes and browned diced onion until it was nice and thick. Poured that over top the belly, and served with some crispy green beans. It was ridiculous. Like eating a big hunk of bacon. My kids ate as much as I did.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Aight I'll give it another shot. The last time I did it the recipe was from Cooks Illustrated and it was pretty damn involved and it was meh. Probably didn't give it enough time and I think I used bottom round if I recall, I'll try something else.

I use Ina's recipe as the basis for my bourguignon as well. Seems to come out pretty darn good.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Ina's method is really easy too, on what is otherwise a lengthy process.

We have a number of her books I'll check it out thanks. The Cooks Illustrated version was involved as shit.

Coq au Vin is another one I don't seem to nail. I wonder if she's got one for that.

I think I used bottom round if I recall, I'll try something else.
    That definitely didn't help things. IMO, stick to the front half of the animal for braises. Chuck roast, short ribs, brisket, shank.

We have a number of her books I'll check it out thanks. The Cooks Illustrated version was involved as shit.

Coq au Vin is another one I don't seem to nail. I wonder if she's got one for that.
    I've done the Julia Child version of coq au vin, and it was really, really good, but a lot of trouble. In a pinch, I use the Michael Ruhlman "weeknight coq au vin" recipe here (http://ruhlman.com/2014/10/eat-your-medicine/), and have no complaints. Whereas Julia's recipe involved a couple of "day ahead" steps, Ruhlman's can be ready in about an hour and a half-ish, and most of that is just waiting. It's not quite as impressive as the original, but the time/quality tradeoff is totally worth it.

Yep

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...n-recipe4.html

^^nice, thanks.

Trying To make Chinese roasted duck tonight
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Swineapple:

Can't take credit for this creation.
    Holy fuckerballs! I'm glad I didn't see this last night before making shrimp and scallops but I do know what we're having tonight dayum.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Last night did a stuffed flank steak. Stuffed with asian pears, scallions, parsley, ginger, garlic, and kimchi. Once assembled, I let it sit all day in a teriyaki marinade. Cooked under the broiler, served with a spiced up pureed acorn squash and a pan sauce.

To, die, for.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Fkna just a knife^ That looks awesome. I am a sucker for teriyaki.

Cioppino

Swineapple, stuffed flank steak, cioppino all look delicious.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

you foodies would likely enjoy listening to this podcast, at the Commonwealth Club, with Joanne Wier and Gary Danko. Her discussion of learning from Madeleine Kamman and her subsequent passion for teaching is pretty inspiring stuff, to me anyways...Plus she likes tequila....
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Gary Danko is one of the best dining experiences I have had. I liked it more than The French Laundry.

Gary Danko is one of the best dining experiences I have had. I liked it more than The French Laundry.
    funny, they talked about their trip to the FL-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

While elegant and amazing. Extremely refined. FL is also stuffy, and not very comfortable.

I think GD likes to party. I have a book called My Last Supper, and the picture of him is pretty telling.

However, Wylie Dufresne is the Chef I would like to smoke a joint and hang out with. I was at a Bachelor Party in NY and we ate at WD50. The guys I was with were mostly chefs, and WD was really cool. Came to the table, and then took us back to the kitchen after we ate.
    Last edited by Beer Drinker; 12-14-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Fried eggs, blueberry pancakes, and lots of Vermont's finest. If I ever build a place I'm putting in a flat top grill.

Absofuckinglutely.