Page 6 of 304 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    smoked paprika
    I love that stuff. Use it ALL the time.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This cook is off. Los Dos Potrillos tonight!
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Watcha cookin'?

Going with some monster, (almost 2"), bone in pork chops from a ranch about an hr south of me. Excellent outer fat layer. Buttery-porky goodness. Thinking about a caramelized onion sauce of some type. Sides haven't hit me. Probably whatever the kids will eat.

Watcha cookin'?

Wifely didn't want cabbage or saurkraut with the smoked pork hock I got so I had to figure out something different....

It's become a bastardized braised Shanghai pork hock. Ginger, garlic, mushrooms, sugar, pork stock, soy, white wine & sake, star anise, cinnamon, cardamon, all spice. Here's hoping it tastes as good as it smells.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1447461370.260696.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	171833

Going with the recent Pork theme. I am doing a bone in butt (lol), on the Egg. 275 for 8 hours. Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion, little smoked paprika for the rub.

Clams going on when I pull the butt off.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

It's got that orange tint, because I've been spraying it with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Oh shit! That looks sexy right there.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Does baking count?

Just pulled some chewy molasses spice cookies out of the oven and will ice them with dark rum sugar glaze when they cool.

Made some double chocolate chunk cookies and oatmeal cherry hazelnut scones on Thursday. Been a baking fool lately!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Does baking count?

Just pulled some chewy molasses spice cookies out of the oven and will ice them with dark rum sugar glaze when they cool.

Made some double chocolate chunk cookies and oatmeal cherry hazelnut scones on Thursday. Been a baking fool lately!

My only sweet tooth is for chocolate chip cookies, but I sure could make an exception for those molasses spice cookies. A couple three of those w/ a big glass of bourbon. Mmm.

Are you gonna hook us up with a recipe for those chocolate chunk cookies or just tease?

Quote Originally Posted by BAWinters View Post
    Are you gonna hook us up with a recipe for those chocolate chunk cookies or just tease?
    They are one of my favorite and easy to make. I use Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa to give them even more chocolaty goodness.

Chewy Chocolate Cookies
    MAKES 16 COOKIES

INGREDIENTS

⅓cup granulated sugar (about 2 ½ ounces), plus ½ cup for coating
    1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour (7 ½ ounces)
    ¾ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon table salt plus ⅛ teaspoon table salt
    ½ cup dark corn syrup
    1 large egg white
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened (70 degrees)
    ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar (about 2 ½ ounces)
    4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into ½-inch pieces

1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Place ½ cup granulated sugar in shallow baking dish or pie plate. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl. Whisk corn syrup, egg white, and vanilla together in small bowl.

2. In stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter, brown sugar, and remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low, add corn syrup mixture, and beat until fully incorporated, about 20 seconds, scraping bowl once with rubber spatula. With mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture and chopped chocolate; mix until just incorporated, about 30 seconds, scraping bowl once. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no pockets of flour remain at bottom. Chill dough 30 minutes to firm slightly

(do not chill longer than 30 minutes).

3. Divide dough into 16 equal portions; roll between hands into balls about 11/2 inches in diameter. Working in batches, drop 8 dough balls into baking dish with sugar and toss to coat. Set dough balls on prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart; repeat with second batch of 8. Bake, reversing position of the baking sheets halfway through baking (from top to bottom and front to back), until cookies are puffed and cracked and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone), 10 to 11 minutes. Do not overbake.

4. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes, then use wide metal spatula to transfer cookies to wire rack; cool cookies to room temperature.

The Right-Sized Chunk

Half-inch chunks contribute chocolate flavor while staying intact. Tiny chocolate pieces will melt and disappear into the dough when baked.

When the cookies have cracked but still look wet between the fissures, take them out of the oven. This ensures a moist, chewy texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Ho View Post
    My only sweet tooth is for chocolate chip cookies, but I sure could make an exception for those molasses spice cookies. A couple three of those w/ a big glass of bourbon. Mmm.
    OMG these are soooo good. If I ever buy packaged cookies I like Grandma's Molasses cookies - these are 10 times better. Again, another easy cookie to make and yes, good with bourbon. When I make the icing I cut back on the dark rum a bit and add water instead. It can be a bit overwhelming. Generally I just make a zig-zag pattern with a spoon.

Molasses Spice Cookies with Dark Rum Glaze
    MAKES ABOUT 22 COOKIES

INGREDIENTS

⅓ cup granulated sugar (about 2 ½ ounces), plus ½ cup for dipping
    2 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour (11 ¼ ounces)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
    ½ teaspoon ground cloves
    ¼teaspoon ground allspice
    ¼teaspoon ground black pepper
    ¼teaspoon table salt
    12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), softened but still cool
    ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar (about 2 ½ ounces)
    1 large egg yolk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ½ cup molasses, light (mild) or dark (I use dark)

INSTRUCTIONS

Measure the molasses in a liquid measuring cup. If you find that the dough sticks to your palms as you shape the balls, moisten your hands occasionally in a bowl filled with cold water and shake off the excess. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time. If baked two sheets at a time, the cookies started on the bottom rack won’t develop the attractive cracks. The cookies should look slightly raw and underbaked when removed from the oven. If you plan to glaze the cookies (see recipe below), save the parchment paper used to bake them.

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place 1/2 cup sugar for dipping in 8- or 9-inch cake pan.

2. Whisk flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in medium bowl until thoroughly combined; set aside.

3. In standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter with brown and granulated sugars at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add yolk and vanilla; increase speed to medium and beat until incorporated, about 20 seconds. Reduce speed to medium-low and add molasses; beat until fully incorporated, about 20 seconds, scraping bottom and sides of bowl once with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to lowest setting; add flour mixture and beat until just incorporated, about 30 seconds, scraping bowl down once. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no pockets of flour remain at bottom. Dough will be soft.

4. Using tablespoon measure, scoop heaping tablespoon of dough and roll between palms into 1 1/2-inch ball; drop ball into cake pan with sugar and repeat to form about 4 balls. Toss balls in sugar to coat and set on prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are browned, still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone), about 11 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Do not overbake.

5. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes, then use wide metal spatula to transfer cookies to wire rack; cool cookies to room temperature and serve. (Can be stored at room temperature in airtight container or zipper-lock plastic bag up to 5 days.)

FOR GLAZE

1 cup confectioners' sugar (about 4 ½ ounces)
    2 ½ - 3 tablespoons dark rum

Clams.

fire.

I put together a full on "Dragons Love Tacos" style taco party last night for my FIL's birthday. Did chunks of tender pork carnitas, grilled NY strip sliced crazy thin, roasted tomatillo salsa, fresh guac, fresh pico de gallo, homemade refried black beans, crumbled cotija, flour and corn tortillas, and a new creation that I'm calling Swineapple rice (used some homemade pork stock and fresh pineapple to make white rice). Made a big ole pitcher of margaritas to wash it all down with. No pics, but that shit was right as rain.

Swineapple:

Can't take credit for this creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    If you want to make pizza in a cast iron pan, you need to try this one. Seriously, it's off-the-charts amazing. It's basically a reworking of the old school Pizza Hut style pan pizza - light almost fluffy crust that's been basically deep fried in oil on the bottom so it's crunchy and delicious. Totally unlike the normal pizza you probably make, but totally addictive. It's also really easy since you just pour the dough into the pan with some oil and it stretches itself.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...pan-pizza.html
    Made this last night. Holy shit was it delicious. So good. Thanks for the tip Pegleg.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Swineapple:

Do want.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Swineapple:

Oh, damn. That looks redonkulous! Big step up from my Swineapple rice.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Made this last night. Holy shit was it delicious. So good. Thanks for the tip Pegleg.
    Nice!
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Stir fry!

H
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    If you want to make pizza in a cast iron pan, you need to try this one. Seriously, it's off-the-charts amazing. It's basically a reworking of the old school Pizza Hut style pan pizza - light almost fluffy crust that's been basically deep fried in oil on the bottom so it's crunchy and delicious. Totally unlike the normal pizza you probably make, but totally
    addictive. It's also really easy since you just pour the dough into the pan with
    some oil and it stretches itself.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...pan-pizza.html
    Dude, thanks so much for posting this recipe. I've made my own dough/pizza for almost 20 years and this is the best deep dish recipe by a mile. You sir, may take a dollar out of petty cash for your effort.

I know everyone has a boner for pumpkin spice crap this time of year, usually I think it's is lame. However, my wife made some chocolate chip cookies today that were of the pumpkin spice genre. Pretty sure I pulled a Andy Sandburg in my pants! So good.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...