Page 5 of 304 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Last nite I did what I am calling Maggot meatloaf.

Gotta work on that name.

2 strips of thick, uncooked bacon run through the processor enough to break into chunks.
    Add Red and Yellow bell peppers and 1/2 a white onion, about a 3" stack of whole wheat saltines, Garlic and salt and pepper.
    Pulse it just enough to break everything down a bit.

Add 1 lb of Elk burger and a shot of olive oil.

Pulse enough to mix well but not make too fine. I stayed away from any binders (eggs) on the theory it would stay lighter.

Make into a loaf and bake 40 min. at 350.

It was and is awesome comfort food. And, you can taste the bacon.
    Dayum...why didn't I think of adding bacon to meatloaf...

I made a nice beef stew in the Dutch oven this morning. Onions celery carrots. Black pepper, smoked paprika, molasses, tomato paste. Let it cook down or a while. Garlic. Water and beef bullion.

Browned the stew beef on the cast iron, made a roux to scrape up beefy goodness and thicken, added red wine vinegar and brandy to the roux. Added that mess to the Dutch oven along with potatoes.

Final verdict: spice level and brandy flavor are money. It would be better if it were thicker. It'll be better tomorrow.

Chicken and Rice soup in bread bowls tonight.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Mmmm. Care to share the technique for the cast iron pie?
    If you want to make pizza in a cast iron pan, you need to try this one. Seriously, it's off-the-charts amazing. It's basically a reworking of the old school Pizza Hut style pan pizza - light almost fluffy crust that's been basically deep fried in oil on the bottom so it's crunchy and delicious. Totally unlike the normal pizza you probably make, but totally addictive. It's also really easy since you just pour the dough into the pan with some oil and it stretches itself.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...pan-pizza.html
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Big ass grass-fed rib steak, garlic and butter kale and smashed potatoes. Filet for the wife cause she's not a fan of most steak. Just means more for me, so I have no complaints.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Big ass grass-fed rib steak, garlic and butter kale and smashed potatoes. Filet for the wife cause she's not a fan of most steak. Just means more for me, so I have no complaints.
    is shadnasty's jazz club in a very far away time zone or is this what you make for breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    is shadnasty's jazz club in a very far away time zone or is this what you make for breakfast?
    Heh. That's what we're having for dinner tonight.

I do love a steak for breakfast, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Ever tried grilling boneless short rib? Costco carries it around here in 1" thick strips (each around 8" long). It's amazing grilled, super beefy but also nicely marbled and tender, and it's something like $9/lb. My new favorite grilling steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Ever tried grilling boneless short rib? Costco carries it around here in 1" thick strips (each around 8" long). It's amazing grilled, super beefy but also nicely marbled and tender, and it's something like $9/lb. My new favorite grilling steak.
    I grill flanken-style short ribs Korean BBQ style sometimes. Quick marinade in soy/garlic/ginger/scallion/sriracha/hot mustard, then grill hot and fast. Tasty as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I grill flanken-style short ribs Korean BBQ style sometimes. Quick marinade in soy/garlic/ginger/scallion/sriracha/hot mustard, then grill hot and fast. Tasty as fuck.
    I do that too, but this is different because it's cut thicker so you can grill it like a steak (charred outside, med/rare inside) instead of relying on a marinade for the flavor. But yeah, Korean flanken short ribs are the bomb too. Try using a pear in the marinade (Asian pear preferably, but regular pears work too as long as they're soft - I just use a stick blender to mash them to pulp) - it's how the traditional Korean recipes get the sweetness in there.

For some reason I never considered cooking regular short ribs like steak, probably since I normally braise them and there aren't many cuts that work well both braised or grilled. I guess I assumed they would be tough if not crosscut like the flankens, and was too dense to think of treating it like flank steak. Going to try that soon for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Heh. That's what we're having for dinner tonight.

I do love a steak for breakfast, though.
    I like your pre-planning skillz

I'm going out to eat because, like usual, I don't plan food ahead of time and end up starving with nothing appetizing in the cupboards
    skid luxury

Whipped up some Buffalo chicken wraps.
    Marinated 2 boneless chicken breasts in a super secret Buffalo wings sauce(Frank's, butter and a little white vinegar).
    Diced some carrots, celery and blue cheese.
    Sautéed the chicken and assembled everything on large soft flour tortillas.
    Served w/ Left Hand's Oktoberfest Marzen Lager.

Nugs & Rings

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

That looks stunning!^ Panko?

God I love breakfast.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Yup, panko with some smoked paprika mixed in to help set the color. Got my recipe dialed for that breading. Soak the chix in half beaten eggs and half buttermilk with some salt and cholula mixed in. Then straight into the panko before frying in corn oil in the good old antique cast iron chicken fryer.

Runny egg yolk FTW though!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Got some lamb shanks in the crock.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Beef enchiladas!

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Somebody recommend me a new wok/stir-fry pan. Medium size. For use on a gas stove.
    Woks are just carbon steel bowls with a handle, so anything at the restuarant supply store will do as long as it is plain carbon steel. Stay away from nonstick, enameled, cast iron, or anything fancy... just a waste of money. You should find one that will last your lifetime for under $30. Treat and season it like cast iron.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Bought mine at the local Asian restaurant supply store (China Chef Restaurant Supply on Federal at Alameda) for like $20. Carbon steel is mighty easy to work with. The only trick is that there are no residential stoves available in the US (that I know of at least) that are capable of putting out enough btu's to really make a wok sing. My fancy bluestar cooktop "only" puts out 22k btu's on the big burners which, even with the wok ring in place, just isn't enough heat to really get that restaurant quality wok'ing experience.

You don't need to use the ring that may come with the wok. Sitting it directly on the gas burner will work. A residential gas burner isn't as hot as a restaurant wok burner but it'll do. Make sure to give the wok plenty of time to get hot before putting in the oil and food. Wash without soap, after wiping it dry (best to use a paper towel so you don't ruin your dish towels) dry it over the flame on the stove so it won't rust. Over time it will develop a black coating--wok ho--that acts like Teflon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Bought mine at the local Asian restaurant supply store (China Chef Restaurant Supply on Federal at Alameda) for like $20. Carbon steel is mighty easy to work with. The only trick is that there are no residential stoves available in the US (that I know of at least) that are capable of putting out enough btu's to really make a wok sing. My fancy bluestar cooktop "only" puts out 22k btu's on the big burners which, even with the wok ring in place, just isn't enough heat to really get that restaurant quality wok'ing experience.
    Bro.... Wok on your Egg.

Oh damn, that's hot!

Yeah. They are called spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    If you want to make pizza in a cast iron pan, you need to try this one. Seriously, it's off-the-charts amazing. It's basically a reworking of the old school Pizza Hut style pan pizza - light almost fluffy crust that's been basically deep fried in oil on the bottom so it's crunchy and delicious. Totally unlike the normal pizza you probably make, but totally addictive. It's also really easy since you just pour the dough into the pan with some oil and it stretches itself.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...pan-pizza.html
    Thanks Pegleg! I will definitely be trying this out.