Page 4 of 304 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Watcha cookin'?

Watcha cookin'?

Ouch. I'm getting rusty.
    Last edited by steepconcrete; 10-24-2015 at 08:42 PM.

So is that grass fed? The fat color tells me grain but lack of intense marble to go along makes me think possibly grass...

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    So is that grass fed? The fat color tells me grain but lack of intense marble to go along makes me think possibly grass...
    Grass fed
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Watcha cookin'?

Edit- My god I make no since sometimes
    Last edited by steepconcrete; 10-25-2015 at 02:58 AM.

Shur fine spaghetti-os and ritz crackers. This is pretty gourmet right?

Those are some beautiful pieces of meat! Do want!

Homemade pizzas over yonder

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Now that's a pan pizza^

Head over to Western Daughters in Highlands. Place is expensive, but awesome. I also picked up some chicken pate and hummus. So good.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Will have to check that place out. We eat steak so infrequently that spending a bit (a lot?) extra on good ones isn't such a big deal.

Set up the Zoji last night with a full load of Anson Mills coarse stone ground white grits for breakfast this morning. Sure beats the hell out of Quaker instant out of the cardboard tube.
    Last edited by Cruiser; 10-25-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

I cook the meat, she cooks the noodles n veggies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1445787606727.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	170763  

Last night I warmed some smoked duck breast in the cast iron skillet, poured off the fat, set the duck aside.

While some faro cooked, I seared some scallops in the duck fat remnants and served those since the faro takes a while to cook. Had a dry 2013 Poully-Fuisse with that .

While we ate the scallops, the duck pan continued its use in order to cook some minced shallots and garlic.

Once they had turned translucent, I dumped the faro into the skillet, thin sliced the duck breast and mixed that into the faro, shallots and garlic in the skillet. Added chopped basil.

Ate that with a 2001 Confuron Cotetidot Chambolle Musigny which rocked some deep beet and licorice flavor.

Finished dinner with a 97 de Fargues and Fourme d'Ambert.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Jesus I thought I lived pretty well until this thread. You guys kill it.

We're big fans of lamb here, maybe they're from you? I've gotten really fixated on grilling lamb and the occasional family beef on a charcoal grill. Even in the rain.

Perhaps if it's been in your freezer for a while but everything we do now goes thru a local co-op.

I also grill almost constantly. Not only does the wife love it but I also hang with the baby in the stroller scoring double points!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Those are some beautiful pieces of meat! Do want!

Homemade pizzas over yonder

Mmmm. Care to share the technique for the cast iron pie?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Last night I warmed some smoked duck breast in the cast iron skillet, poured off the fat, set the duck aside.

While some faro cooked, I seared some scallops in the duck fat remnants and served those since the faro takes a while to cook. Had a dry 2013 Poully-Fuisse with that .

While we ate the scallops, the duck pan continued its use in order to cook some minced shallots and garlic.

Once they had turned translucent, I dumped the faro into the skillet, thin sliced the duck breast and mixed that into the faro, shallots and garlic in the skillet. Added chopped basil.

Ate that with a 2001 Confuron Cotetidot Chambolle Musigny which rocked some deep beet and licorice flavor.

Finished dinner with a 97 de Fargues and Fourme d'Ambert.
    Nice use of duck fat! Where'd you get the faro? Does your local mega-mart stock it or are you ordering it off the innertubez?

What was the occasion? That's some pretty fancy food and wine for an average Saturday night, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Mmmm. Care to share the technique for the cast iron pie?
    I've been working on this for a while now and I think I've got it pretty close. I start by rolling out my dough (hibernation ale honey whole wheat) a bit thicker than I do for regular pizzas. Maybe 1/4"? Then I add about a tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet making sure to only oil the bottom and not the sides. I like to press the dough onto my peel that I lightly sprinkled with cornmeal before I press it into the skillet. I try to press it into the skillet so that it kind of sticks to the sides of the pan a bit. Then I turn on the stove burner and heat the skillet while I add toppings in typical backwards Chicago style deep dish fashion. As soon as I start to hear the crust sizzling (maybe 3ish minutes) I toss the pie onto the stone in a 525* oven. It cooks about 9 minutes and then comes out and gets removed from the pan to a cooling rack straight away.

Thank you! I make pizzas at home quite a bit and have always wanted to give it a go in the cast iron. Might have to this weekend. Looks delicious!

The big fall burn happened at the in-laws farm Saturday while I split wood at home.

By Sunday morning there was a huDge pile of embers, so my industrious partner grabbed some onions, garlic, salt, carrots and roasts from the family farm, stuck them in dutch ovens, doused them with some Trader Joes pinot noir and buried them in the ember pile for all day, checking on it to refill with wine and herbs.

Come 4 O'clock, after chasing an escaped young cow (who don't know well enough to get herded and require a lot more directional encouragement than the more mature models), one of the ovens was spirited back to Chez Highmen where it was consumed in moans of ecstasy with several hearty pours of 2009 Barthod Chambolle Musigny.

Finished with a salad of greens, apples, goat cheese, the last of the seasons tomatos and red peppers.

I slept surprisingly well.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Hawaiian curried red lentils. Tomato, basil, and garlic brown rice. Chickpea flour flat bread seasoned with garlic salt and asafetida. Roasted broccoli with a cashew "cheese" sauce flavored with garlic, turmeric, cayenne, and tomato powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Nice use of duck fat! Where'd you get the faro? Does your local mega-mart stock it or are you ordering it off the innertubez?
    There's this new fight franchise offering artisanal battles instead of the usual overproduced WWF crap where free range ethnic fights like Sumo and Roman Greco wrestling can be found. It's called Whole Feuds.

What was the occasion? That's some pretty fancy food and wine for an average Saturday night, huh?
    Nope, that's what I make on the weekends lots of times. I do keep a rein on the good wines. Since we had kids, we stopped going out so much but I like good food so I learned how to make a lot of stuff and scoured around for odd birds like quail, pheasant, grouse. I'm getting better at sauces.

I never really thought much of that wine stuff until I had an epiphany circa 1992 one night over a bottle of 1986 Bonnes Mares. So I bought the stuff over the years until the last two where now the shit's just too expensive, so I mete out the older stuff at a couple of the older ones a month.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-26-2015 at 10:07 PM.

We had a huge crop of poblanos and my wife has been making and freezing chili rellenos. Today I ate at least 8 prolly more like 10-12.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Padron peppers sauteed in coconut butter with a little salt and pepper.

Coconut rice with raisins.

Delicata squash, black beans, onions, red peppers, peas with curry, ginger, and dash cinnamon.

Szechuan chicken. On the 40 year old wok my mother gave me. Stir fry a couple of diced chicken breasts with a few cloves of minced garlic and some minced fresh ginger (actually keeps forever in freezer) on ultra high heat in a little peanut oil. Remove. Stir fry bamboo shoots and a bunch of green onions cut into 1 1/2 in pieces, with a tablespoon of sriracha, for 1 minute. Add the chicken back and fry another 30 seconds. Stir in sauce--1/2 cup ketchup (yeah ketchup, wanna back something out of it?), 1 tbs sugar, 1 tbs soy sauce, some sesame oil, 1 1/2 tbs sherry. Done.

Recipe came from a restaurant, which explains the ketchup. I had a great pork feijoada and I couldn't figure out how they got the black beans cooked so perfectly. Wrote the restaurant--canned beans. Fancy cookbooks can't use ingredients like that but restaurants do.

Somebody recommend me a new wok/stir-fry pan. Medium size. For use on a gas stove.
    I see hydraulic turtles.